991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2022 | 01:07 AM
jbendaou
Instructor

It looks nice but the functionalities lack compared to the old app. That said Porsche promised to keep improving the app…
Old 04-30-2022 | 12:32 PM
chuck v
Instructor

Default Recall done

My 2019 done free of charge at Porsche El Paso. No issues with it At all. No dash noises but yes dash does get some disassembly for 2019 911. Then I got the applications from Vodaphone and they work

chuck
Old 07-07-2022 | 11:27 AM
GTSMeister
Rennlist Member

My car got upgraded yesterday using part number V04-015-001-FN. Initially, they thought it would require a complete dash out but the tech network has evolved a process that only removes the instrument cluster to get at the VTS unit. All seamless from my side. The app stopped working while they had the car apart and then after they programmed it, it all works again.

The following 3 users liked this post by GTSMeister:
Curvfun (07-08-2022), jbendaou (07-07-2022), Mike416 (01-01-2023)
Old 12-27-2022 | 06:52 PM
Razor1973
Intermediate

I know this is a 911 forum, but from going through this thread (after finding it via search), I can tell a lot of what's discussed here also applies to the Cayenne and other Porsche models. I've a 2019 I just purchased and have learned the hard way that I can't connect to it remotely to lock/unlock, locate the car, etc. I've been told by Porsche Customer Service and two local Porsche Parts Departments that 2020's were already fitted with an upgraded VTS that supports 4G and that a retrofit of that module is available for the 2015-2018's. That means 2019 is the only year that's out of luck and I find that hard to believe. Or rather wish it wasn't true or there was a workaround. Anything?
Old 12-28-2022 | 04:20 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

I own a 2019 C4S and the remote unlock wasn’t available through the Car Connect app when it was active. Neither was vehicle theft tracking.

Porsche and technology seem to be at odds. I had the 3g Car Connect services but I didn’t renew when no one could explain to me what remedies were available to update to 4g.

The upgraded module and procedure came to light months after my renewal date, it required a dashboard removal to install the module. Plus because I had a break in service, I would have to pay for the cost. Those who had maintained the service received the update gratis. Wasn’t too keen to have my dashboard disassembled. So I passed on the update.

As far as I’m aware, the 4g update is available for the ‘19 911, this is supported by the information Porsche sent me early this year. As to your model, can’t say.

Now the module update can be done less intrusively as others have noted. It does bug me that I’ve lost some functionality but honestly didn’t use the Car Connect services while I had them.

Last edited by BSO; 12-28-2022 at 04:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Razor1973 (12-28-2022)
Old 02-27-2023 | 04:45 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Reviving a old thread due to an e-mail received today from PNA regarding the Car Connect VTS module.

TECHNOLOGY UPGRADE FOR YOUR PORSCHE CAR CONNECT MODULE.

Remote Services, Safety Services, and Security Services.

We are pleased to offer you a technology upgrade to replace the existing 3G connectivity module with a 4G LTE module free of charge for parts and labor. This product is available at your authorized Porsche dealership.

What you should do.
If you wish to continue uninterrupted Porsche Car Connect subscription services, please plan to make an appointment at your dealership to complete the technology upgrade a soon as possible. With an active subscription, your Porsche Car Connect Services can continue to function after the technology upgrade.

Find Out More

Please feel free to reach out to our Porsche Connect team at 1-800-PORSCHE (1-800-767-7243) should you have any questions.

Dear Mr. X,

We are writing to inform you about a change to the Porsche Car Connect services available on your 2019 911 Carrera 4S [VIN: X].

As wireless technology continues to evolve, telecommunications providers in North America are transitioning from their 3G networks to focus their resources on more advanced technology. AT&T made a decision to sunset their 3G network on February 22nd, 2022. Unfortunately, this decision is beyond Porsche’s control.

As a result, the following Porsche Car Connect services* previously offered in your 911 Carrera 4S will be impacted:

Explore the World of Porsche

PORSCHE USA

CONTENT HUB

PORSCHE DESIGN

MY PORSCHE

PORSCHE ONLINE SHOP

www.porsche.usa.com

If you no longer wish to receive emails from us, please click here to unsubscribe.

Porsche recommends seat-belt usage and observance of traffic laws at all times.
© 2023 Porsche Cars North America, Inc.

Please do not reply to this e‑mail. If you have questions, please contact 1-800-PORSCHE.
info@porsche.us

Privacy Policy | Legal Notice
At first glance the e-mail was similar to one sent early '22 for the VTS replacement. That e-mail stated that if you had current Car Connect service, the upgraded VTS would be installed at no cost. However, if you didn't have service when the notice came out, the owner would foot the bill.

I had stopped my service December '21 before that notice was sent out, when neither Vodaphone nor Porsche could advise me what the Car Connect future would be, so a break in service meant the upgrade cost was mine.

Fast forward to today, read the e-mail, called PNA and spoke to Nathan (who was extremely helpful and polite), he advised me that under Campaign WMM7, my 911 would be upgrade eligible at NO COST to me. Called the dealer and confirmed same. Next question to the dealer was what the upgrade procedure entailed, the service rep stated that it was done currently by the removal of the steering wheel and instrument cluster (as outlined in a previous post). Change from the initial dashboard out step.

I don't know why there was a reversal in the upgrade cost responsibility, but if anyone else is curious, the dealer and PNA can advise eligibility via VIN.

Will wait on service procedure confirmation before scheduling the work.

Maybe they ended up with a surplus of modules, who knows.

Last edited by BSO; 02-27-2023 at 04:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BSO:
Fbrooksr (02-27-2023), Razor1973 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 05:05 PM
Razor1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BSO
Reviving a old thread...
Thanks a lot for the update. As soon as I read it, I called 1-800-PORSCHE and ended up talking to..... you guessed it! Nathan. Unfortunately, my experience wasn't the same as yours. Maybe because of the different model. I have a 2019 Cayenne that lost connectivity. Upon checking my VIN, Nathan told me that this isn't available to me as a recall, but to contact my local dealer and they might have a retrofit at a cost. Maybe. I'll try that avenue next, but I wanted to add my experience here.

Last edited by Razor1973; 02-27-2023 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Quote too large... removing it
Old 02-27-2023 | 05:46 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Default Mine was Done at No Cost

After several attempts due confusion at the dealer and between the dealer and PNA, mine was finally done at no cost to me. The reason I was told was because my car was still in warranty. I won’t go thru the past painful experiences as they are posted earlier in this thread, but it was painful.

To pay for something to be installed in my car in order for me to use a service I have to pay annually for to use made no sense to me then nor does it now. It seems PNA has come to the same conclusion. Good luck and hope it goes well for those that opt in. I have had no squeaks or rattles since.

Last edited by Fbrooksr; 02-27-2023 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Typo in title.
Razor1973 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 05:55 PM
Razor1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
After several attempts due confusion at the dealer and between the dealer and PNA, mine was finally done at no cost to me. The reason I was told was because my car was still in warranty. I won’t go thru the past painful experiences as they are posted earlier in this thread, but it was painful.

To pay for something to be installed in my car in order for me to use a service I have to pay annually for to use made no sense to me then nor does it now. It seems PNA has come to the same conclusion. Good luck and hope it goes well for those that opt in. I have had no squeaks or rattles since.
I couldn't agree more. In the end, what made the difference in your case? Was it PNA or was it your local Service Dept?
Old 02-27-2023 | 06:05 PM
Fbrooksr
Rennlist Member

Default Dealer Persistence

It finally boiled down to dealer persistence. They wouldn’t let it go. They knew what was right for me and went after it.
Razor1973 (02-27-2023)
Old 02-27-2023 | 06:08 PM
Razor1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fbrooksr
It finally boiled down to dealer persistence. They wouldn’t let it go. They knew what was right for me and went after it.
Got it. Thank you. My case is a little different and probably even more difficult. I am not the original owner of the vehicle. 3G connectivity was lost before I purchased it. But persistent I will be.
Old 02-27-2023 | 09:04 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

As stated above, I was also told by PNA that the factory warranty would cover the VTS module upgrade when I looked into this issue at the beginning of last year. Dealer had no clue or guidance on the issue.

Didn’t follow up on the warranty route as I wasn’t keen on a dash removal which isn’t required now.

Last edited by BSO; 02-28-2023 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-28-2023 | 01:10 AM
mangu
Advanced

Apologies for the long post, but wanted to provide details, in case it helps anybody....
I tried initially (late 2021) to get the VTS upgrade on my 2018 991.2 Targa GTS, and the dealer kept canceling my appointments due to the parts not being available.

I waited out the whole campaign is on, then off, then back on (but can only be done for free if you had an active Porsche Car Connect subscription) scenarios.

I then put it off (for concerns like others about the dash getting disassembled, and possible squeaks/rattles after dash re-assembly) and since MyPorsche App was still working. (Note: I have always paid for an active Remote Services which is their least expensive service.).

Note2: Since Summer 2022, only the instrument cluster and steering wheel get disassembled, not the full dash removal anymore.

In mid-December 2022, it stopped working and I received an email from PCC/Vodafone that my contract would be canceled since the iWMM7 campaign upgrade had not been done, and once the upgrade is done, I would get the remaining term on my active subscription plus any time lapsed since the cancellation iuntil the upgrade is performed.

Scheduled for the upgrade with my dealer, dropped off the car in the morning and got a loaner. That afternoon, got a call that dealer is concerned that PCNA will not pay for the upgrade since system is showing no active contract.

After 1+ hour with PCNA, and getting a case #, I was fed up with the entire process. I emailed the dealer a copy of my receipt from the last time I purchased a subscription (showing I am still within the period of an active contract) and told them that it should suffice as evidence that I had an active subscription, and if not sufficient, to abort the whole thing and I will just pick up my car sans-VTS-upgrafe.

The next morning I got automated text messages about my PCC account and vehicle status, followed by MyPorsche app communicating with the vehicle 1-2 hours later.

Long story short: I was disappointed with the entire process and it appears Porsche is just trying to put the squeeze-on to see which customers will cave and say, "ok, I will pay for the upgrade".

​​​​​​I picked up car and have not noticed any scuffs, and no noises/issues with the instrument cluster that was taken apart for the upgrade.

My subscription will end this summer, but not sure I will pay for this anymore (some of the vehicle tracking/safety features are only available in Europe and I am in the U.S. and the remote services only provide the useful ability to remotely check if the vehicle is locked/unlocked and track the vehicle location, and set a geo-fence alert if the vehicle is moved out of fenced area). Similar to others that have stated, if my vehicle is stolen, I don't even want it back.

Special Note: the VTS-upgrade was done while my Cobb Stage 1 Tune and PDK tune were on the car, with no issues. I just triple confirmed with the service manager that nothing was going to be flashed on the ECU (I just simply emphasized that I wanted to make sure the PDK's intelligent/learning driving habits does not get wiped as I am totally happy with the vehicle's performance).

Last edited by mangu; 02-28-2023 at 01:25 AM.
Razor1973 (02-28-2023)
Old 02-28-2023 | 11:15 AM
Razor1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mangu
... I am in the U.S. and the remote services only provide the useful ability to remotely check if the vehicle is locked/unlocked and track the vehicle location, and set a geo-fence alert if the vehicle is moved out of fenced area).
Thank you for sharing your feedback and sorry you had to go through this, but glad you got it done at no cost. Now, it's this part of your post that I am quoting that concerns me. I am new to Porsche, recently purchased a 2019 Cayenne and from the moment I got it, the My Porsche app is unable to conduct any remote functions. It says it's connected to the car and even gives me the green "Connected" light, but that's it. Now, the whole or at least main reason I've been trying to find out what it would take for me to get these remote functions working is because I always assumed you could lock and unlock the car remotely, not just check on lock status. Is that not doable? Coming from a Volvo (which I still own), I figured this would be pretty standard with any vehicle remote app, especially at this price range. And also... is this something you need to pay a subscription for? Just to be able to lock/unlock your car remotely (if it's available)? I hope I misunderstood. Again, completely new to Porsche here and learning, so thanks for your response(s).

Last edited by Razor1973; 02-28-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-28-2023 | 07:35 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

There's no remote lock/unlock feature, short-sighted decision IMHO, on the old or new module.
Razor1973 (02-28-2023)

Quick Reply: Porsche Car Connect Module - Technology Upgrade- recall