Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche DME and Transmission control reprogram "AMC0" (To address Stop Sale)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 08:20 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

I do. Educate me.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:43 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

@Noah Fect So you've already had your 911 reprogrammed and you're happy with the results?

Old 01-31-2022, 09:17 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

In my situation, I have a 3.4L 981 that's subject to the same recall, for the same reason. Based on what people have been saying, I'd actually prefer the new behavior, which is reportedly inherited from the 991.2 cars. This car only sees street duty, so I can't use Sport+ mode at all unless I switch to manual shifting.

That's fine -- I don't mind switching to manual mode -- but it still seems pointless to have a button that isn't usable otherwise. I'd be inclined to let the dealer perform the recall.

The trouble is, if enough people scream bloody murder about the recall "destroying the whole driving experience" or some such horse$#!+, then I can't let the dealer perform the recall without damaging the resale value of my car.

So it's best if people either unbunch their panties and stop doing the Chicken Little imitation, or explain to me why I actually DON'T want the recall performed even though it seems like it would be a win from my own point of view.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 01-31-2022 at 09:20 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Noah Fect:
CarreraFahrer (01-31-2022), DenVogel (06-26-2023), noahabel (02-01-2022), Tiemaster (01-21-2023)
Old 01-31-2022, 10:09 PM
Dieter2
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
In my situation, I have a 3.4L 981 that's subject to the same recall, for the same reason. Based on what people have been saying, I'd actually prefer the new behavior, which is reportedly inherited from the 991.2 cars. This car only sees street duty, so I can't use Sport+ mode at all unless I switch to manual shifting.

That's fine -- I don't mind switching to manual mode -- but it still seems pointless to have a button that isn't usable otherwise. I'd be inclined to let the dealer perform the recall.

The trouble is, if enough people scream bloody murder about the recall "destroying the whole driving experience" or some such horse$#!+, then I can't let the dealer perform the recall without damaging the resale value of my car.

So it's best if people either unbunch their panties and stop doing the Chicken Little imitation, or explain to me why I actually DON'T want the recall performed even though it seems like it would be a win from my own point of view.
So, are you saying you have not completed the recall on your own car? Why not? Go ahead and let us know if it’s all good!

Resale value is always in the eyes of the buyer. As many will acknowledge, Sports Chrono is a highly regarded performance option that many people will not buy 911 without. I can’t speak to 981. I was one of them for my search that must include Sports+. Unfortunately, there has been very little information from Porsche on this campaign. Please let us know if you have received any additional information that will unbunch things.

Old 01-31-2022, 11:00 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Correct, I haven't had it done. I think I explained my reasoning clearly enough, but when the value of the car is concerned, my opinion and reasoning don't really matter.
Old 02-01-2022, 12:34 AM
Natural Lover
6th Gear

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

With respect--you've been here a lot longer than me--100% agree that a rant with nothing to back it up does little good for any on these forums. I also agree it's a bad idea to hold 2nd gear at 70 mph for 20 miles on I-10, or even more than a few seconds if you expect to drive at relatively constant speed. And I also agree there's no point to having a worthless third button...

So, on the first point... in my post of 21-December, I made sure to include plenty of specific observations from my experience driving sport plus after AMC0. I detailed at least two fairly common situations where quite simply, if you are an aggressive driver, you are going to find yourself in the wrong gear and out of peak torque at the wrong time. Sometimes not one, but two gears out. Pre-AMC0, you were always in the torque. Driving in manual is always an option, but I'm a bit of a klutz and have hit the limiter on a full throttle more times than I care to admit--which can be an unpleasantly jarring experience.

Myself and others have also noted the observation that high-rpm shifts do not kick like they used to--and this also occurs in manual mode. This suggests less torque hitting the clutches. Just my opinion, this was part of the fun.

On the second point... as long as you are accelerating and decelerating--for corners, curves, traffic, whatever, you will not be holding a gear endlessly in the legacy sport plus mode. I personally find it quite fun when traffic is light. Even if you're just exercising 1st, 2nd, and maybe 3rd.

On the third point... get this mod done, and you will have a worthless third button: the Sport button. I predict you will quickly come to prefer this mode over the existing Sport mode, and you'll never use it again. In my pipe dream, I'd replace Sport with this, and keep Sport Plus the way it was.

Well, to each his own. I will respect all opinions out there. We all have different driving styles and preferences. Whatever you choose to do, I hope that it is satisfying to you!

with best regards,
Natural Lover
The following 4 users liked this post by Natural Lover:
Dieter2 (02-01-2022), Fullyield (02-01-2022), Noah Fect (02-01-2022), noahabel (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:09 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

I do. Educate me.
Because I intentionally purchased a car that had a “Sport Plus” button designed for track use. It up shifts and downshifts on a race or track map so I can concentrate on steering, braking, turn in, unwinding, accelerating, hitting the apex on the correct line and avoiding other track traffic. Screwing around with shifting the PDK with the paddles is just one less thing I have to deal with on track. That was the advantage of the PDK on track over a MT. The original “Sport Plus” map is excellent at doing this for me. Now, Porsche wants to to change the deal and take this feature away and substitute it with a watered down, “enhanced Sport” map. I do not need a second “Sport” button. I do not want it. It is not what I bought and not what I paid for and it is not what Porsche represented and sold to me.

I feel sorry for our friends in Calif. who have no choice.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
CarreraFahrer (02-01-2022), Dieter2 (02-01-2022), RonD (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:27 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Because I intentionally purchased a car that had a “Sport Plus” button designed for track use. It up shifts and downshifts on a race or track map so I can concentrate on steering, braking, turn in, unwinding, accelerating, hitting the apex on the correct line and avoiding other track traffic. Screwing around with shifting the PDK with the paddles is just one less thing I have to deal with on track. That was the advantage of the PDK on track over a MT. The original “Sport Plus” map is excellent at doing this for me. Now, Porsche wants to to change the deal and take this feature away and substitute it with a watered down, “enhanced Sport” map. I do not need a second “Sport” button. I do not want it. It is not what I bought and not what I paid for and it is not what Porsche represented and sold to me.

I feel sorry for our friends in Calif. who have no choice.
I’ve driven on track and AutoX with the new Sport+ map. I saw no difference in performance in either case. Shifts were hard, burbles were there. The PDK takes in more sensors than just throttle position for figuring out when to shift. I’d be more than willing to take anybody for a ride if they are on the fence with it.
The following 8 users liked this post by stellman:
Al.Fresco (02-01-2022), BGLeduc (02-01-2022), Dieter2 (02-01-2022), Noah Fect (02-01-2022), Sajan (02-28-2022), shammerman (02-01-2022), thesaintusa (02-01-2022), Wellardmac (02-01-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-01-2022, 10:45 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
I’ve driven on track and AutoX with the new Sport+ map. I saw no difference in performance in either case. Shifts were hard, burbles were there. The PDK takes in more sensors than just throttle position for figuring out when to shift. I’d be more than willing to take anybody for a ride if they are on the fence with it.
Thanks for your generous offer. But, I am pleased with MY current track times and MY Sport Plus button as currently configured in MY car and as I purchased it. So, why take the risk if I am perfectly satisfied with what I have and bought and paid for. Basic risk management theory and philosophy says do not change. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is what I was taught. No disrespect intended, but I doubt you drive on track the way I drive. And, just because it is OK for some does not make it OK for everyone. We all do not wear a size 8 shoe. I am disappointed that Porsche has never issued a technical explanation of what changes are involved in the recall. As soon as it does, I will review it and reconsider.

Last edited by Fullyield; 02-01-2022 at 10:53 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
CarreraFahrer (02-01-2022), Dieter2 (02-01-2022), stellman (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 11:02 AM
PorscheC2S
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

What was the original intention of Porsche make this change anyway?
Old 02-01-2022, 11:22 AM
Dieter2
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheC2S
It’s my understanding the voluntary campaign is designed to limit emissions while using Sport Plus. I can only assume that the current system mapping that allows for higher engine RPMs also emits higher potential emissions.
Old 02-01-2022, 02:05 PM
noahabel
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheC2S
They were trying to avoid another Dieselgate. I do wonder, then, if their emissions testing/certification was done in Normal mode with the understanding that Sport or Sport+ didn't change the emissions profile (but it actually did), or if our cars were pulling the same shenanigans as VW, emitting different emissions when connected to testing equipment and this was the "save."

Unfortunately I'm in CA and won't be able to avoid this forever. I may prefer the new Sport+ mode, as I don't track the car, but I don't want to end up with a less valuable car because I've been forced to eliminate the option to maintain the original programming. And anyone who says they don't care about the value of this car is lying to themselves.

Last edited by noahabel; 02-01-2022 at 02:08 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by noahabel:
Al.Fresco (02-01-2022), Dieter2 (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:08 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Exactly. The problem is, while I don't have any reason to argue with Natural Lover's negative views on the modified shift map, there have been other reports that say it's fine. There is no reason to think the recall affects the speed of PDK shifts or the other characteristics that determine how the shifts feel. Not denying that NL is experiencing an undesirable effect, just wishing there was some objective backing to it.

Meanwhile, other people, not calling out any names, latch onto the slightest negative reports and spread massive clouds of FUD that don't even rise to the level of anecdotes.

As for the auto mode shift points themselves, why aren't we hearing a lot of complaints from 991.2 owners? They have been living with the new shift program for years now. Is the new 991/981 map significantly worse?

Originally Posted by Natural Lover
On the third point... get this mod done, and you will have a worthless third button: the Sport button. I predict you will quickly come to prefer this mode over the existing Sport mode, and you'll never use it again. In my pipe dream, I'd replace Sport with this, and keep Sport Plus the way it was.r
I would very likely agree with that. I have a Macan S with a T-Design module that never leaves Sport+ mode because I don't find its Sport mode to be useful at all (and frankly the Sport+ shift map isn't great.)

OTOH the 981S is just about right in Sport mode, and if any future recalls change that, I'll be seriously pissed.

Last edited by Noah Fect; 02-01-2022 at 05:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DenVogel (06-26-2023)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:14 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

^^^^^Agreed...a lot of FUD being thrown around.

It would great if Pano or Excellence got a couple cars together, one with and one without, and have Randy Pobst or some other hot-shoe for hire ring them out on the track. Too many anecdotal reports to make any conclusions, Sport+ is a track mode. The owners manual states this explicitly. I sympathize with owners that use it on the street if there are indeed changes in how it works, but I am much more interested in how it behaves on a proper track.

The following 2 users liked this post by BGLeduc:
Al.Fresco (02-01-2022), Wellardmac (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 05:36 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,226 Likes on 741 Posts

What it comes down to is personal taste and preferences. So love it, some hate it, some think it is fine. Problem is, you can't "try it and take it back if you don't like it"
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
Al.Fresco (02-01-2022), Fullyield (02-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Porsche DME and Transmission control reprogram "AMC0" (To address Stop Sale)