Sponsored by:

Adding Wireless CarPlay - 9XX Research?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 12:02 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by osunick
Thanks, that is good to know because not all the kits support skip on AA/CP from PCM while playing music to through PCM and it's not listed as a feature on the shop listing, unlike joyeauto.
I’m trying to follow this thread about what the PCM buttons do and don’t do with the iSudar. Is this an accurate summary: If the PCM is in its native PCM mode of operation, the buttons all work normally. If in CP mode, the buttons all work as they are supposed to but affect CP. So, for instance, fast forward, track skip, volume, etc all do what you’d expect in CP mode. Is this about right?

Last edited by LSR; 08-27-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:50 PM
UH2
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Let me clearly clarify. The PCM advance buttons work when you are playing music through CarPlay. They do not advance the track when you are in CarPlay mode and playing music through PCM, i.e. from Jukebox or USB stick. There is a clear and important distinction that I don't think is captured by UH2.

Ahhhh...now I understand. Thanks for the clarification.

I actually just ran out to the garage to test this with my NM unit. When playing a CD, and the display in "Carplay" mode, the buttons act as fast forward/reverse functions. There's no way to skip to the next track. I tried long pressing as well.
Old 08-27-2021, 01:39 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LSR
I’m trying to follow this thread about what the PCM buttons do and don’t do with the iSudar. Is this an accurate summary: If the PCM is in its native PCM mode of operation, the buttons all work normally. If in CP mode, the buttons all work as they are supposed to but affect CP. So, for instance, fast forward, track skip, volume, etc all do what you’d expect in CP mode. Is this about right?
Correct, you just cannot control PCM without switching back into native PCM mode first.
Old 08-27-2021, 03:41 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Correct, you just cannot control PCM without switching back into native PCM mode first.
Based on what I’ve read about all these CarPlay retrofits (JoyeAuto, NM, 9xxResearch, iSudar and others), it seems this is how they all work. Makes sense, actually.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:37 PM
osunick
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 61 Posts

Just double checking to be clear here, I'm asking about the isudar single board setup, and specifically want to know about PCM button control for track skipping/voice assistant on Android Auto or CarPlay when used as an audio source via AUX. I don't care about controlling PCM audio sources, I just want to make sure before ordering that the faceplate buttons work when the device is in CP/AA mode. I know Joyeauto supports this and whatever 9XX/NM does as well, but I'm not sure about this new entry into the market. I have a NetworkWWS setup from Korea that works fine but I would really like hardware button controls for skipping tracks, I have to use touch controls currently. Since I have an AAWireless dongle I don't need Android Auto wireless capability.

I really appreciate the perspective of anyone with firsthand experience- I have a request in with the Aliexpress store but haven't received a reply.

-n.
Old 08-27-2021, 07:12 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Just double checking to be clear here, I'm asking about the isudar single board setup, and specifically want to know about PCM button control for track skipping/voice assistant on Android Auto or CarPlay when used as an audio source via AUX. I don't care about controlling PCM audio sources, I just want to make sure before ordering that the faceplate buttons work when the device is in CP/AA mode. I know Joyeauto supports this and whatever 9XX/NM does as well, but I'm not sure about this new entry into the market. I have a NetworkWWS setup from Korea that works fine but I would really like hardware button controls for skipping tracks, I have to use touch controls currently. Since I have an AAWireless dongle I don't need Android Auto wireless capability.

I really appreciate the perspective of anyone with firsthand experience- I have a request in with the Aliexpress store but haven't received a reply.

-n.
I'll say it again. Yes I have the iSudar single board installation. Yes it works. Yes it works, Yes it works. Read the thread. I've said it a few times already, but one more doesn't hurt.

Just in case you missed it, yes it works as normal CarPlay and all the functionality is there and all the controls work as normal.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 08-27-2021 at 07:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Gixxerboy63 (10-11-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 07:19 PM
osunick
Racer

I'll say it again. Yes I have the iSudar single board installation. Yes it works. Yes it works, Yes it works. Read the thread. I've said it a few times already, but one more doesn't hurt.

Just in case you missed it, yes it works as normal CarPlay and all the functionality is there and all the controls work as normal.

😎 Thanks!
Old 08-27-2021, 07:56 PM
osunick
Racer

There's been a lot of talk about less than great audio quality through Aux. iOS users can output audio through A2DP bluetooth with few compromises, but not Android Auto. This dongle I bought on indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

It works pretty great, much more solid than some of the boxes I've installed, and it currently has an option to output audio through bluetooth rather than USB. It only works for media right now but apparently they are looking into getting all voice prompts through bluetooth as well.

-n.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:08 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

There's been a lot of talk about less than great audio quality through Aux. iOS users can output audio through A2DP bluetooth with few compromises, but not Android Auto. This dongle I bought on indiegogo:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/aawireless#/

It works pretty great, much more solid than some of the boxes I've installed, and it currently has an option to output audio through bluetooth rather than USB. It only works for media right now but apparently they are looking into getting all voice prompts through bluetooth as well.

-n.
It's not necessary to output the iSudar board over Aux. Posts in other threads have described a simple rewiring of the harness that results in the analog output of the CP board being diverted to the AUX input connector of the car that now becomes the output of the CP board. Then, it's possible to connect a BT transmitter to Aux and pair the transmitter with the PCM's BT. Now, instead of switching the PCM to Aux for CarPlay (or AA), switch it to AUX-Bluetooth. Apparently, sending the CP board's audio to the PCM over bluetooth improves the sound and it should work for AA just as well as for CP.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by LSR
It's not necessary to output the iSudar board over Aux. Posts in other threads have described a simple rewiring of the harness that results in the analog output of the CP board being diverted to the AUX input connector of the car that now becomes the output of the CP board. Then, it's possible to connect a BT transmitter to Aux and pair the transmitter with the PCM's BT. Now, instead of switching the PCM to Aux for CarPlay (or AA), switch it to AUX-Bluetooth. Apparently, sending the CP board's audio to the PCM over bluetooth improves the sound and it should work for AA just as well as for CP.

Honestly, I think you have to be really picky on sound for it to be an issue. Personally, I think the sound is fine. I've never understood the obsession with audio quality in a car, considering you're surrounded by tons of other background noise the defeat the purpose of a high quality sound system.
Old 08-27-2021, 10:49 PM
LSR
Burning Brakes

Honestly, I think you have to be really picky on sound for it to be an issue. Personally, I think the sound is fine. I've never understood the obsession with audio quality in a car, considering you're surrounded by tons of other background noise the defeat the purpose of a high quality sound system.
I’m with you. Though my iSudar board hasn’t yet arrived, I did some experiments by playing CD quality files on my iPhone through the PCM over BT and also by connecting the lightning port to the Aux input via a lightning-to-headphone adapter to get to analog. I could not hear much of a difference, if any at all. I, too, think the sound will be fine. If only the board would arrive! I ordered it direct from iSudar, rather from the iSudar store on AliExpress. Probably a mistake. The iSudar shipment is still on the way, while something else I ordered from AliExpress a couple days later arrived today.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:06 PM
Heathen1970
AutoX

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

991.1 did not have OEM backup camera, your statement does not apply.
My 991.1 4S has a factory installed back up camera.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:24 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Heathen1970
My 991.1 4S has a factory installed back up camera.
Are you the original owner?

I thought mine was factory installed, until I was told by my Porsche dealer that it wasn't available that year and discovered it was aftermarket - hence the reason there are so many here that install them. I subsequently discovered that a previous owner had installed a NAV-TV aftermarket camera.
Old 08-30-2021, 03:07 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts

My 2016 991.1 GTS has a factory backup camera. Must be some years they didn't have it, but for sure late production 991.1 cars had the option.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:17 AM
osunick
Racer

Originally Posted by Tangerine
My 2016 991.1 GTS has a factory backup camera. Must be some years they didn't have it, but for sure late production 991.1 cars had the option.
Plenty have it but it was indeed an option. My 2014 Turbo S has it but I actually found many that weren't optioned with it, and not having factory backup cam was a deal breaker for me.

Quick Reply: Adding Wireless CarPlay - 9XX Research?