Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 headlight lens replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2023 | 03:04 AM
mtuomi
Advanced

Originally Posted by koala
you can't bake these headlights, unfortunately.
Nothing stops you from putting them in the oven.

It gets them hot.

But nothing else.

Old 05-24-2023 | 10:30 AM
edsonreds
Instructor

Originally Posted by koala
you can't bake these headlights, unfortunately.
@koala That is correct. Be careful. Porsche headlights are not glued using flexible butane/urethane strips. You can notice it by looking carefully at the edges. So, putting them in an oven would not soften the seal.

The only youtube video in this regard I found was a Porsche Cayenne headlight cover replacement. In that video, a guy used a sonic blade to cut the adhesive. It was not a DIY friendly job and certaintly not many guys have a usd 5k sonic blade.

I would advice @rubenhak not touching the headlight up until more info comes. Otherwise I would highly suggest contacting Paolo at Rennlights or Bayoptiks. I have mine chiped on both sides but since I am in FL, it is difficult to me to send them repaired. Of course I would be interested if you try this procedure and post your findings. There is no much info around.
Old 05-24-2023 | 12:12 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by rubenhak

I've received the lens from eBay. The outer rim is black. Looking pretty good. Planning on use the "oven" technique to remove the lens.

Which parts will look good to be blackened?
Anything I shouldn't touch?

Also, is it safe to put the ballasts and bulbs into the oven, or is it better to keep them out?

Thanks.
Definitely do what @edsonreds suggested and contact Paolo at Rennlights.

I had my lenses replaced and they look brand new!
Old 06-14-2023 | 03:38 PM
DieNuen11
Intermediate

Talking

As a newcomer to the Porsche world my choice of entry vehicle was a 991.1 Carrera, and many of these examples have the "hazed and crazed" headlights which really take away from the beautiful front end of the car. Thanks to this thread I was able to find and send my lights to Paolo at Rennlights, and I am super happy I did. In fact it was the very first spend on parts I did for the car right after receiving it. I chose to garage my car and ship my original lights to him for restoration, but the short wait was worth it.

Here's some before and after shots. Thanks again to Paolo and the community !

..and then as received after renewal....

The front end of the car looks almost like new !!

Last edited by DieNuen11; 06-14-2023 at 03:43 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by DieNuen11:
jfischet (06-14-2023), SConn (06-15-2023), shammerman (06-16-2023), TET GT3 (06-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2024 | 03:23 PM
LIT911
Intermediate

hey fellas did paolo start doing exchanges yet? or we still need to send him our stuff first? if so what is current turn around time? @RENNLIGHTS
Old 03-15-2024 | 03:33 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LIT911
hey fellas did paolo start doing exchanges yet? or we still need to send him our stuff first? if so what is current turn around time? @RENNLIGHTS
Hello, we do still have many in-stock renewable lights for core exchange options across all of the Porsche models, just depends on what series headlight you currently have on the car.

Some of the common ones are usually available and if not they will be soon, pending incoming cores from customers, and the rarer ones tend to have less availability but I try to source them as well so let me know what you have and I can check.

We are also still quoting 2 to 3 business days for our renewal service and that includes any blackout modifications.

-Paolo
email: info@RENNLIGHTS.com
www.RENNLIGHTS.com
The following 2 users liked this post by RENNLIGHTS:
jfischet (04-04-2024), Wellardmac (03-15-2024)
Old 03-25-2024 | 06:45 PM
LIT911
Intermediate

hi what is cost for doing the exchange way. i just need lenses as my lights are already black

Old 03-25-2024 | 06:48 PM
LIT911
Intermediate

whats cost to exchange them? mine are black already or do i need to send mine for that?

Old 03-25-2024 | 10:15 PM
RENNLIGHTS
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

-Replacing the headlight covers for the 991 models is $950 for the pair.
-Return shipping is included.
-2-3 business days turn around time as well.

Let me know of any other questions

https://rennlights.com/product/991-1-991-2-carrera

Old 04-04-2024 | 02:30 PM
Hogan88
Intermediate

Hi the leds rings I’m wanting to do mine yellow and you mentioned yellow film. I found a company who offer this service but don’t say how the achieve it “ Bayoptiks” and can’t find any threads as to where anyone has done it . My main question is can you access the led rings without taking the front lense apart ? Or can the be accessed from the rear of the unit Thankyou

The following users liked this post:
GermanCarFan1 (04-05-2024)
Old 05-20-2024 | 12:16 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Hi there. After some research I embarked on a DIY to replace my lens covers for my 991.2. The main reason why I did it (besides the cracks on my both headlights) was that shipping costs were prohibitive as to send them professionaly repaired to bayoptiks or rennlights. I read the reviews, looked at their work and those are very good on the service they offer. I would strongly suggest to go to them in case you are not comfortable with such a DIY procedure or, like in my case, costs of shipping and freight may not make sense.

Tools:
- L shaped pick tool: You will need a tool to take the remains of the original lens covers and clean as much as possible the old adhesive. In this DIY you will be cutting the edges of the original lens covers and a "halo" will be left in the headlight channel to be removed afterwards.
- A sonic cutter: I strongly suggest you get one. Dremel or any other multi tool would burn and melt plastic on one side, and on the other would generate dust a little particles that will contanimate the inner side of the headlight. I read one post and a youtube video that used a dremel and you do NEED precision to make this job. A sonic cutter does not melt the plastic neither creates residue and gives you unparallel precision in your cuts. Do not do it without one.
- 1/2in maskin tape: to protect the inner side before removing the remains of the original lens cover. I used blue tape, you can look at the pictures bellow.
- 1/32 masking tape: This one is tricky. Since you have to cut along the edge of the original lens conver, the top part of the headlight channel is not accessible, that is why you will have to cut the egdes first. Once you do it, you will see the channel you have to cut. I used yellow tape in the photos.
- Replacement lenses
- Courage and no fear to success.
- Windshield 3M glue.

Bellow you will see a series of pictures of my process. First, there is a diagram to give you an idea how the lens cover is glued/fused to the headlight channel. I marked where along the edge you will need to cut. You must me careful of not sticking/stabbing the whole sonic cutter blade into the headlight housing. To give you a precise idea how deep you will need to stick the blade, measure the thickness of the replacement lenses, and make a mark in the blade. Be specially careful in the top part of the headlight.

You deserve some cold beers after this.
The following 3 users liked this post by edsonreds:
konrad h1 (10-13-2024), shyamvenky (07-12-2024), subaru335i (08-08-2024)
Old 05-20-2024 | 12:50 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

That is amazing that you did it yourself. Kudos to you. Looks grand.
Old 05-20-2024 | 07:09 PM
edsonreds
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
That is amazing that you did it yourself. Kudos to you. Looks grand.
Thanks. Not as difficult as changing suspension parts (where you put more physical effort but have more slack for mistakes), but nerve wracking in some parts (climax in the cutting of the OEM damaged lens covers). It helps to have a tool such as an ultra sonic cutter... all the rest is pretty straightforward.
The following users liked this post:
subaru335i (08-08-2024)
Old 06-07-2024 | 02:01 AM
McKlyde
Rennlist Member

Just did mine. I think the hardest part was taking apart the bumper. Fortunately for me, the previous seemed to have resealed the headlights. The headlights were noted to have been replaced by Porsche Dallas but broken headlight clips and glued headlight washer connector has me questioning that.

Overall the process was easy, and resealing just needs time and some elbow grease. I highly recommend having a professional do it, as I still had some debris (my hair) sealed along with the headlight lol. Or just dont rush it. The job took me about 2 or so hours to do.
A couple things to look out for that has been mentioned before is the chrome is fragile!! If it looks dirty, has dirt, you need to repaint it as all the chrome will just wipe off. I made the mistake of wiping it off, and have gone for a chrome delete at the top. It's not as obvious I definitely got away with it.
The new headlights also have Philips WhiteVision Gen2 which seemed considerably brighter than the OSRAM Xenarcs.

Before

After

Old 07-12-2024 | 10:55 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Timely thread for me. Looking at the following options for 991.2 with PDLS Plus. If I'm going this route rather than buying new, I would go with the blackout option. I'm seeing 3 options.

Rennlights
Lightwerkz
BayOptiks

Outside of Rennlights which I'm happy to see have some great reviews in this thread, is there any feedback on the other two vendors? (Lightwerkz & BayOptiks) They're all priced in the same ballpark so final results & timely customer service could be the key differentiators.

I see that BayOptiks offers option for PPF already installed. Curious if anyone has gone with that or done PPF immediately after on their own.

Last edited by Tier1Terrier; 07-12-2024 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: 991 headlight lens replacement