991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2021 | 06:20 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Closing this out as the car is fixed. The dealership and SA were extremely helpful. Happy to share name as I’m not sure I can share in thread.

They were going to give a significant discount for the replacement to help me. However after finding out that I have Fidelity Powertrain warranty the SA worked directly with the Fidelity agent and got it covered. The transmission had to come from Germany which I agreed to pay for to expedite the shipping. The day the work was being done the transmission fell and split so had to wait again for a replacement transmission which was also expedited. I did not have to pay for shipping at all due to the delay. Anyways after 6 weeks and a $500 deductible I received a refurbished transmission with 2 year warranty on parts and unlimited miles.

I hope this thread helps anyone receiving the same errors as me + has Fidelity powertrain warranty and can get a replacement with minimal cost.

Cheers!

The following 4 users liked this post by Ark20:
noahabel (09-09-2021), T3X4S (07-19-2021), TimboCarrera (07-19-2021), uphoto (07-30-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 07:31 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Glad this worked out for you. Did they say what they think may have caused this issue?
Old 07-30-2021 | 10:17 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received the PDK errors again while driving. Luckily was not far from home and was able to drive with only gears 1 and 4. Took it to the dealership and they recalibrated the PDK. Fast forward to 3 days and received the errors again!
This can’t be normal after getting a replacement transmission. I’m taking the car in tomorrow. What questions should i be asking them other than the obvious one of why this is happening.

Very disheartening and likely my last Porsche.
Old 07-30-2021 | 10:23 PM
VII7
Racer

I'm not one to say I told you so I won't say it but I will admit I thought it.
That car has a wiring or TCU problem.
The following users liked this post:
uphoto (07-30-2021)
Old 07-30-2021 | 10:39 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VII7
I'm not one to say I told you so I won't say it but I will admit I thought it.
That car has a wiring or TCU problem.
I’m going to ask them that. Thanks
Old 07-30-2021 | 11:00 PM
CTDan
Rennlist Member

@Ark20 I may have missed it, but would you mind sharing when the failures occurred? Dates & mileage if they are known please.

Driving my PDK tonight & thinking that I may have made a mistake having bought several manuals prior... then I read this thread.

Disheartening.
Im sorry for your troubles & can only say that I find it hard to believe that your ownership experience is the norm.

Good luck,
Dan
Old 07-30-2021 | 11:17 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CTDan
@Ark20 I may have missed it, but would you mind sharing when the failures occurred? Dates & mileage if they are known please.

Driving my PDK tonight & thinking that I may have made a mistake having bought several manuals prior... then I read this thread.

Disheartening.
Im sorry for your troubles & can only say that I find it hard to believe that your ownership experience is the norm.

Good luck,
Dan
Sure. I will look through the paperwork and document the dates/ mileage tomorrow morning.

Enjoy your car. My situation is definitely not the norm.
Old 07-30-2021 | 11:33 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ark20
Received the PDK errors again while driving. Luckily was not far from home and was able to drive with only gears 1 and 4. Took it to the dealership and they recalibrated the PDK. Fast forward to 3 days and received the errors again!
This can’t be normal after getting a replacement transmission. I’m taking the car in tomorrow. What questions should i be asking them other than the obvious one of why this is happening.

Very disheartening and likely my last Porsche.
I can totally understand how frustrated you are. You are the third owner so you don’t have a good idea what type of issues or service the car had?

I would bring the car back and tell the service manager that you don’t want the car back until it’s fixed. This means diagnosing the issue. If they can’t figure it out, a Porsche regional trouble shooter should come. Throwing parts at the car is not the answer. I think the car should be throughly inspected at an independent Porsche shop for any damage. Pay for an alignment and see how perfect they can get it. Clearly something else is wrong and it’s been missed. I said this many posts ago. Multiple transmissions in the same car that has been owned by 3 owners just doesn’t add up. Thank goodness for your Fidelity warranty. Maybe talk to the service manager at another dealer and lay it all out on the table and see what they are going to do to solve this problem.
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:16 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

The only Porsche I'll ever get is a manual. Sure the PDK is faster but regardless of what they say, it is not bullet proof and seems to me it is almost time for the earlier ones to start having problems. Hate to see those having it gone haywire and out of warranty.
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:31 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
The only Porsche I'll ever get is a manual. Sure the PDK is faster but regardless of what they say, it is not bullet proof and seems to me it is almost time for the earlier ones to start having problems. Hate to see those having it gone haywire and out of warranty.
Funny you say that since quite a few manual transmissions have been replaced because of failing to activate the backup light.
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:42 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jack F
Funny you say that since quite a few manual transmissions have been replaced because of failing to activate the backup light.
Based on your argument then nothing lasts forever....just like tax and death.
Old 07-31-2021 | 08:54 AM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack F
I think the car should be throughly inspected at an independent Porsche shop for any damage. Pay for an alignment and see how perfect they can get it. Clearly something else is wrong and it’s been missed.
I had alignment done after installing new tires at an Indy. They couldn’t get it perfect (it veers to right but very slightly) He thought that it was probably because of user error when springs were installed. He wanted to remove the springs and redo but i had to schedule for another day and then had to cancel because of PDK. The dealership did a alignment after the new PDK. Their notes state since car is lowered they had to do an alignment based of if car had PASM.
Old 07-31-2021 | 12:15 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Based on your argument then nothing lasts forever....just like tax and death.
Correct, so why avoid a technology out of fear that it might some day fail on you, supported by occasional anecdotal evidence that it does indeed happen sometimes to some people?

Someone once had a sidewall bulge on a Michelin. Better avoid Michelins!
The following 2 users liked this post by asellus:
Chuck245 (07-31-2021), SConn (08-01-2021)
Old 07-31-2021 | 02:29 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ark20
I had alignment done after installing new tires at an Indy. They couldn’t get it perfect (it veers to right but very slightly) He thought that it was probably because of user error when springs were installed. He wanted to remove the springs and redo but i had to schedule for another day and then had to cancel because of PDK. The dealership did a alignment after the new PDK. Their notes state since car is lowered they had to do an alignment based of if car had PASM.
You have non OEM springs? Veering to the right? Maybe this car has had some damage? Could be good to rule this out at some point. I don’t think the Porsche dealer would be of much help with this. A body shop that repair heavily damaged cars should be able to examine and quantify overall squareness of everything. If it’s great then move on and forget about it. If something is less than perfect then this could be a source. For this ongoing problem. Unfortunately the dealer is assessing the problem from one side and not all aspects.

There is a guy with YT channel in Minnesota that bought a 996 project car that needed a new transmission because one had failed. They got another one and installed it and guess what? Failed again. Now how can that be if there is not a major issue elsewhere. I wonder what would happen if Porsche quantifies some damage to the car and looks back on the dollars spent for a problem that is not a true warranty issue.
Old 07-31-2021 | 03:51 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Seems like PDK failures are more often the 991.1 cars.

Quick Reply: PDK question