PDK question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 02:14 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Default PDK question

Hello,

So I received the below dreaded error messages a couple of months ago and then as recent as yesterday.
1- start stop operation deactovated
2- Transm. fault Poss. no R gear Drive on poss.

Both messages appear when starting the car and never while driving. Also typically the first time the car is being started on that day.

I was away for 4 days and upon return started the car to run a quick errand ( no issues). Following day (yesterday) started the car and received both messages. Turned off and restarted a couple of times and no luck. Tried it later in the day and same issue.

Being optimistic and hoping it is battery related I dropped off the battery for a overnight charge/test. Just my luck that their tool is out of order so they never tested it overnight.

In the interim i reviewed the paperwork from the previous owners. The previous owner had disclosed that the owner prior to
him had the PDK transmission replaced under warranty ( back in may 2017 @ 33000 miles). Now in may 2021 @ 62000 miles I’m getting the same error which shows on the original work order. So my questions are:

1- Any chance Porsche will cover a second PDK? It is my understanding that they only provide a 2 year warranty which would have expired in 2019. Also from reading several threads it all depends on the service advisor( I’ve not had any service done at the dealership)

2- I do have the fidelity power train warranty. Any one used it for a PDK fix? Couldn’t find a definite answer on it.

Thanks in advance for your time and wish me luck!
Old 06-02-2021, 02:39 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,118 Likes on 667 Posts

Sorry to hear.

I would think Fidelity would cover it

Keep us posted and wishing you good luck.
The following users liked this post:
desmotesta (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 09:30 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Reinstalled new battery and received the same error messages. Ran diagnostics and got back the code P0700. Googled the code and found the below.

P0700 Tiptronic (CAN transfer box setting implausible) or (Transmission oil temperature above maximum value)

Old 06-02-2021, 10:21 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Thank goodness you have the warranty, this was always my concern when I had a PDK. I just find it odd that the same thing is happening on a replaced PDK. The warranty will cover it, and don't even worry about it. I was hoping it was the battery. Keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:54 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,222 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
Thank goodness you have the warranty, this was always my concern when I had a PDK. I just find it odd that the same thing is happening on a replaced PDK. The warranty will cover it, and don't even worry about it. I was hoping it was the battery. Keep us posted.
The Fidelity “Platinum” warranty will cover it. See multiple threads on this issue on here from “Sandwedge”. Other Fidelity warranties, probably not. Good news is the DTC points to the TCU, rather than the transmission, which can be replaced without touching the PDK and it is much less expensive part and labor. Best wishes.
rewardforsuccess (06-13-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 01:38 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

It will be shame if powertrain doesn’t cover it.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:20 AM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Today the only code i am receiving is the ‘Fault Engine Control. Possible to drive on’. Was able to reverse the car. Can I clear the DTC codes via Icarsoft to see the new codes or does that cause any issues?
maschinetheist (03-21-2022)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:25 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,222 Likes on 773 Posts

Originally Posted by Ark20
Today the only code i am receiving is the ‘Fault Engine Control. Possible to drive on’. Was able to reverse the car. Can I clear the DTC codes via Icarsoft to see the new codes or does that cause any issues?
Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Read “Repairing A PDK Transmission” by PPV97 in 997 Forum. Take car to dealer for diagnosis. Once diagnosed, contact Fidelity to see if repair is covered. You are just guessing until you do this.Best wishes.
rewardforsuccess (06-13-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 11:47 AM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Here is what I would do if I were in your shoes. Read “Repairing A PDK Transmission” by PPV97 in 997 Forum. Take car to dealer for diagnosis. Once diagnosed, contact Fidelity to see if repair is covered. You are just guessing until you do this.Best wishes.
Thanks. That’s exactly what I’m doing.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:02 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The Fidelity “Platinum” warranty will cover it. See multiple threads on this issue on here from “Sandwedge”. Other Fidelity warranties, probably not. Good news is the DTC points to the TCU, rather than the transmission, which can be replaced without touching the PDK and it is much less expensive part and labor. Best wishes.
Nobody knows this yet, at least from my own reading, if you know of someone who had a powertrain warranty and was denied for a PDK then would like to see that but I haven't read anything that says that for sure.

Will be following this closely as my CPO runs out later this year and the only reason I would get any coverage is to insure against the PDK.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:11 PM
Ark20
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by uphoto
Nobody knows this yet, at least from my own reading, if you know of someone who had a powertrain warranty and was denied for a PDK then would like to see that but I haven't read anything that says that for sure.

Will be following this closely as my CPO runs out later this year and the only reason I would get any coverage is to insure against the PDK.
Exactly. Found a thread where someone had asked the question and I didn’t see a concrete response. In any case we will know for sure from my situation.
uphoto (06-05-2021)
Old 06-05-2021, 01:40 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto

I spoke with Michael Jordan and he stated PDK would not be covered under powertrain warranty. I think he said the other 2 would cover it.

To OP, please keep us posted.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:26 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
I spoke with Michael Jordan and he stated PDK would not be covered under powertrain warranty. I think he said the other 2 would cover it.

To OP, please keep us posted.
Did he explain why it wouldn't be covered. The transmission is part of the powertrain.
Old 06-06-2021, 02:57 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by raaizin
Did he explain why it wouldn't be covered. The transmission is part of the powertrain.
what usually goes wrong is not part of the actual powertrain. Porsche won’t allow the parts inside the transmission to be replaced and then replace the whole transmission. it’s usually an electrical component inside the pdk that goes bad, so it’s like if Porsche would not replace fuel injectors if one went bad and would replace the whole engine, you better believe a powertrain warranty would fight against that.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:00 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,967 Likes on 2,045 Posts

On my Audi S4, which has a dual clutch transmission, I had the car originally under Fidelity Platinum, then Fidelity Powertrain after, since miles were higher and I didn't want to pay for Platinum. My transmission failed and after lots of pushing from my service advisor, he was able to get it covered under powertrain which was an $11k repair. So I think a lot of this is going to come down to your advisor/tech showing that one of the parts included on the Powertrain list is actually what failed. Fidelity is going to want to say that a part that isn't on the list failed. Fidelity may also try and say that a part that isn't on the list caused another part to fail.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: PDK question