2014 911 4s issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 07:40 PM
14-4s
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 911 4s issues

hey,
so Im new to Porsche but not to cars. so here is my 911 story....bought it last month from grand prix motors in Portland Oregon, 30k on the clock, it is a 2014 911 4s pdk 3.8L btw. So, I drive it off the lot and almost immediately notice the brakes squeaking...Im like whatever probably been sitting, just dust. Get on the freeway, no issues, driving up to Seattle, Wa a small truck hits a chunk of concrete on the freeway, spits it out, hits the passenger corner of my car and yeah....messed up the bumper. Make a insurance claim 45 mins after buying the car. Get it home no problem. Get to drive it around for about 700 miles and my car was supposed to go to the body shop next week......but now its going to the dealership due to the fact that it like surges in 2nd gear in normal mode, like at 2k rpm i give it a little throttle and it just feels like it wants to jump, there is no smooth shifting in any gear, almost like the throttle is stuck, like not actuating. happens in sport and sport plus. whats weird it will do that for like 15mins and then go back to behaving normally. However, it will just revert to that behavior like a loop. If I am giving it constant throttle the rpm will jump like 200 rpm while driving. I Have read the pdk repair write up but I have a funny feeling I might have just bought a 80k paperweight. The dealer that I bought it from is having their general manager call me on Monday, Im taking it to Porsche in tacoma next Saturday. This was my dream car as Im only 35, work construction and saved up for a year. Any ideas of what this might be would be very helpful, but it seems that I either have the worst luck or I just got taken for a bunch of money. And no warranty was had, they offered me one for a additional 11k, but thinking that the car was low mileage and had great service records I wouldn't need it. So if its the pdk I guess itll be sitting in my garage for a year so I can save up enough to buy one. Also, I am not making any of this up. So overall my experience with my car is a 1/10.

Popular Reply

04-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Serge997
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi and wish you the best. Buying the one car you always dreamed about should be a highlight, so hang in there and hope it will be sorted out.

Key question. The 200rpm surge comes with power surge or just with rpm raise? If just rpm raise then it sounds like the clutch slip I had on my 997PDK. It was rare but was there. A PDK calibration helped and never went worst than the very rare instance.

If it comes with a power surge then the issue comes from another other component/place, which may be a better case.

Best of luck and reach out. There are great minds and enthusiasts in here to help.

And to the; “if you bought it you bought it you should be able to repair it”, come on! Is that the best you can do for a fellow owner? You may have a pile of cash to burn. Most of us bought the car after saving and although we can probably pay the bill it is not without hurt and trouble.

Best.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:07 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Welcome.

What did the PPI report show? DME reports itemized over revs? How much brake pad front and rear? Brakes felt good when you drive it prior to buying it?

photos of car?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:23 PM
My991
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

S brakes squeal -power wash and they’ll be quiet for 20 miles

Cement to front -your problem and expect the dealer will fight this if you think you’re returning it

Surging - could be injectors, bad gas (93?) or coil. Like you said, it took 700 miles so it could be anything. I’d start with seafoam and have dealer check for codes

over-rev JackF -can’t happen on a PDK

Old 04-10-2021, 08:29 PM
14-4s
AutoX

cement chunk i filed a comprehensive claim on so im not worried about that and the ppi showed nothing wrong. Also, its not throwing any codes so thats why I am a bit puzzled by this. I do have a torque pro so another question will my torque pro work on my 991? and I have no intention of returning this car, Ill upload pics damage was minimal to the bumper...ill wait and see what the dealer says. But with no codes this is bizzare. thanks again.
Old 04-10-2021, 08:54 PM
My991
Racer

Originally Posted by 14-4s;[url=tel:17357443
17357443[/url]]cement chunk i filed a comprehensive claim on so im not worried about that and the ppi showed nothing wrong. Also, its not throwing any codes so thats why I am a bit puzzled by this. I do have a torque pro so another question will my torque pro work on my 991? and I have no intention of returning this car, Ill upload pics damage was minimal to the bumper...ill wait and see what the dealer says. But with no codes this is bizzare. thanks again.
Collision, minor or not = diminished value. Add that to input provided above.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:06 PM
14-4s
AutoX

i dont care about diminished value, i only care about the car working properly, paint can get fixed, i dont plan on selling the car.
The following users liked this post:
Dgags (04-19-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:05 PM
My991
Racer

Good luck
Old 04-10-2021, 10:14 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

since you purchased a $70-$90K high performance car out of warranty I am guessing you can afford to repair it without needing warranty, so that takes care of whatever dealer tells you

The rest is being taken care of by insurance

looks like once all this is sorted you should be able to enjoy the car as expected
Old 04-11-2021, 12:28 AM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

At least you have a scheduled call from the manager. I live across the river from PDX and I believe GP motors have the largest inventory of used Porsches and other exotics in the area, maybe the Pacific NW. They move a lot of cars. I think they will take care of you just to preserve their reputation. You should also seriously consider getting a Fidelity platinum warranty. I got one for my 2013 C2S for $2500. 6 years/60K miles.
The following users liked this post:
Carrera991 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 09:40 AM
Serge997
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi and wish you the best. Buying the one car you always dreamed about should be a highlight, so hang in there and hope it will be sorted out.

Key question. The 200rpm surge comes with power surge or just with rpm raise? If just rpm raise then it sounds like the clutch slip I had on my 997PDK. It was rare but was there. A PDK calibration helped and never went worst than the very rare instance.

If it comes with a power surge then the issue comes from another other component/place, which may be a better case.

Best of luck and reach out. There are great minds and enthusiasts in here to help.

And to the; “if you bought it you bought it you should be able to repair it”, come on! Is that the best you can do for a fellow owner? You may have a pile of cash to burn. Most of us bought the car after saving and although we can probably pay the bill it is not without hurt and trouble.

Best.

The following 10 users liked this post by Serge997:
991.1 (04-11-2021), Explorer16 (04-11-2021), G_991 (04-19-2021), jeffm (04-11-2021), JRBucks (04-11-2021), manifold danger (04-12-2021), marcnyc (04-18-2021), NHmacan (04-11-2021), oolor13 (04-12-2021), pkalhan (10-02-2022) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-11-2021, 10:37 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,991 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge997

Best.
with all due respect to the current situation and the stress that it must be causing, all due compassion for a fellow enthusiasts... I will say just this much. If I didn’t have a “pile of money”
to burn on my toy car, I would at least have the sense to protect my investment with an aftermarket warranty. Hence why I still carry warranty. And why I still carry insurance even on my paid off Porsches. Not because my state requires it, but because it “protects my investment”. As do most people on this forum.
hope it all works out
Old 04-11-2021, 12:03 PM
edirtaynine
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 88 Posts

try a PDK reset. it wont cost you anything since you can do it yourself. if that doesnt help, at least you can rule that one thing out for free.
The following 2 users liked this post by edirtaynine:
desmotesta (04-11-2021), paddlefoot64 (04-11-2021)
Old 04-11-2021, 01:30 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm sorry man... that just sucks. I can absolutely relate to having to wait years before owning my first, but you got yours younger than I was able to. Maybe it was the 5 kids? The frustrating thing about your experience is that Porsche is one of the most reliable brands you can purchase. In fact I would say it's THE most reliable of the exotics. Don't let this experience skew your love and respect for these cars, their build quality, their heritage, and their downright sex-appeal. But like all cars, reliability has everything to do with care and maintenance. I live in Portland and am quite familiar with Grand Prix. Their showroom is like a crack house for Porsche addicts (insert drool) with every variety and level of 911 on display. They also seem to have a good reputation and are known for having the highest volume of 911s to choose from in the area. The downside is, they so often don't know the history of their cars like a private seller or dealer CPO would. It's always a gamble when buying a used car, especially an exotic.

For now, keep your head on straight, don't panic, and work your way through the troubleshooting process. If GP doesn't offer to pay (or at least offer significant assistance) or give you the opportunity to return the car, I would make a deal of it on the web. In fact I would even be willing to rattle their cages if they say "you're on your own." They don't want bad business and are big enough that they should offer some resolution. They are likely not legally bound to do so, but if you want to maintain a solid reputation as a dealer of these cars (and they do!), you have to be prepared for this kind of situation. Best of luck to you, 14-4S... keep us posted!
Old 04-11-2021, 01:32 PM
AvgPorschefile
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Oh an I agree with edirtayne...try the PDK reset. You can probably find instructions on this forum.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:39 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 119 Posts

I'll give my 0.02. The damage from the cement is all cosmetic, doesn't matter and I wouldn't mention to selling dealer. I would take the car in to the local Porsche dealer, pay OOP for them to diagnosis (if there even is an issue) and have them quote a cost for repair. I would THEN talk to selling dealer and say hey, I just bought this car, has this issue, this is how much it will cost to fix. Either you can take the car back and give me a refund (again, hard to do since now it has damage), or pay to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: 2014 911 4s issues