Sponsored by:

Is the 911 Wave Dead

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 02:20 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,233 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
I subjectively divide 911 owners into sports car enthusiasts and status car enthusiasts. I think it's the sports car enthusiasts who wave. The status car enthusiasts are too busy feeling important to wave
Going to have to agree with this one.

For me, I've noticed it's 50/50. Either they look and smile/wave or something, or they've got tunnel vision and don't even move their head at all.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:22 AM
P991GTS
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 40 Posts

There have been a few rare times when not only I didn't notice another P-Car but the driver waved at me first and I feel like I dropped the ball. Usually, I spot others from afar and wait until they are close enough to wave and/or flash my lights. I haven't counted but it does seem like more than half in my area do not bother or notice.

But as mentioned above, I also love many types of cars and the people that drive them. As a side note, we recently acquired a 1988 M6 (E24) and today, in the middle of nowhere (CA-58) I suddenly saw an E24 coming in the opposite direction. We were driving the Targa but I flashed my lights and gave my two thumbs up over the steering wheel and the other driver was quick enough to wave back with a big smile as we passed. I love moments like that.

The following 3 users liked this post by P991GTS:
Mike Murphy (04-12-2021), slimmn (04-12-2021), Speed2k (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 02:33 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by MDelaney
My wife asked me why I didn't wave the other day - I was in a Panamera loaner and the other vehicle was a Macan - I'm usually pretty good with waving to other Porsche owners regardless of model - (and for sure 911's) - Macans are definitely on the periphery of the 'wave' and less likely to reciprocate but I still (usually) do it. Obviously, my wife caught me out on that day.

When I first got the 911 - it was an adjustment for her to see me waving - and questioned me, if that was really a 'thing'.
Macan drivers are hardly enthusiasts or car people for that matter. It's a VW tiguan with a prestigious badge for show boating. The Macan serves no other purpose... I got one as a loaner and every day that went by, the more I despised the car. I had the car for 8 days. By day 6 I found myself mutilating the engine and transmission out of pure disdain for the product. I loved the dealership, the service, the advisor, but my goodness I hate Macans.

Now I know why I saw somebody bucking and jerking a loaner Macan a couple years ago in a very nice neighborhood in a wealthy part of town. Dude had to of been in first gear going WOT and full brakes the whole time. I'm certain he also had his 911 in for service.

Macan cons:
No rear leg room/space
Non existent trunk space
Everything else.

Macan pros:
Cool Porsche badge (I'm so fancy)
It turns nice for a car/suv/crossover thing.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:52 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
Macan drivers are hardly enthusiasts or car people for that matter. It's a VW tiguan with a prestigious badge for show boating. The Macan serves no other purpose... I got one as a loaner and every day that went by, the more I despised the car. I had the car for 8 days. By day 6 I found myself mutilating the engine and transmission out of pure disdain for the product. I loved the dealership, the service, the advisor, but my goodness I hate Macans.

Now I know why I saw somebody bucking and jerking a loaner Macan a couple years ago in a very nice neighborhood in a wealthy part of town. Dude had to of been in first gear going WOT and full brakes the whole time. I'm certain he also had his 911 in for service.

Macan cons:
No rear leg room/space
Non existent trunk space
Everything else.

Macan pros:
Whew, easy on the Macan hate thing. I don't need to showboat, and the Macan was our third Porsche. Makes a terrific, all weather garage mate to my 911. Rides great, it is fun to drive (faster than my Hemi Jeep and Cayenne Diesel), tootles along the highways much faster than the traffic flow, made as well if not better then my Cayenne and 911, Not really caring about the leg room in back, but no one complains back there. Plenty of cargo space and we have all the toys. Perfect car, no, but for those of us who don't need a Cayenne or a big SUV, it rocks. Understood you don't like it, but it if far from a Tig, I owned one of those too.

The following 2 users liked this post by PJ Cayenne:
ducktails (04-12-2021), Jeahbladejeah (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:48 AM
Chillywon
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Macan cons:
No rear leg room/space
Non existent trunk space
Everything else.

Macan pros:
"dude"

You're a clown
The following users liked this post:
ducktails (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 10:51 AM
pjazz
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 141 Posts

Did not know it was a thing in Porsches. I did it all the time in my Corvette. Now I’ll wave in the GT3 as well.
ICU991812 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:04 AM
ducktails
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 189 Posts

LOL tell us how you really feel about Macans

You're factually incorrect about it being a Tiguan with a Porsche badge, that's just lazy; like the Jeremy Clarkson chestnut that the 911 is a stretched beetle.

One thing in the Macan's favor is that it has the 'Miata factor' on backroads. Not that it handles like a Miata (though if you push it, it's got incredible grip and agility for what it is) ... what I mean is; if in a S or GTS guise, if driven properly, you can seriously humiliate mediocre drivers of fancier sports cars.

Last edited by ducktails; 04-12-2021 at 11:10 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ducktails:
Jeahbladejeah (04-12-2021), Mike Murphy (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 11:08 AM
ICU991812
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Macan cons:
No rear leg room/space
Non existent trunk space
Everything else.

Macan pros:
come on... tell us how you really feel. lol. I've never driven one, so no opinions on Macans, but I do know Porsche sells a lot of them. However, I can't imagine it being that terrible.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:44 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 633 Likes on 367 Posts

if the engine is behind the driver they get a wave, if not, they dont.
BlueNorther (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:37 PM
mekkiz
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 5 Posts

My girlfriend refused to believe me that the Porsche wave is a thing, until last Friday we were going up highway 1 (the nice curvy part from SF to Stinson Beach) and I got a solid 3/3 returned waves, made my day . It was also a great trip to show her the difference between our 991 C4S and any other car she had ever been in.
The following 2 users liked this post by mekkiz:
ducktails (04-12-2021), ICU991812 (04-12-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 12:56 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ICU991812
I don't see too many 911 while I'm driving my 911, but yesterday I passed a 996 911 coming the other way and I waved, but I got nothing back. I'm not sure why I waved actually, but I just thought of doing it, sort of like what Wrangler drivers do. So I came back to see if there is a proper Porsche wave, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus, but many articles seem to indicate there used to be, but now it's dead. So, is there still a 911 wave of some sort, or is it pretty much dead? Do any of you wave when you see a 911 passing? This was the only 911 I had ever passed (in three months of ownership now) while driving my 911, so I'm not sure.

Maybe people are just too rushed to look around while driving, or they just don't do it. I know when I drive, I notice anything that's not vanilla (i.e. Camry, Accord, Passat) going by or coming from behind. So I'd know if someone waved to me.

Just a sad thought if we don't have our little group "thing" that we do...
In my opinion it depends on where you are. I spend my time in the summer in Ohio and see another 911 about once every 2 weeks, sometimes not that often. In the winter I'm in Naples FL. and see 5-6 every time I drive. In Naples I never get a wave back, I don't think they are car enthusiasts. I believe it's more of a status thing. It's like a car show every time I drive. I rode MC's for 50+ years and before the Harley craze every biker waved. The Harley riders do it to, but it's not the same.
Old 04-12-2021, 02:11 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 320 Posts

Back in the day (TR3) we'd wave/flash lights at ALL sports cars. Now, I still wave to all Porsches that are sports cars. I think my success rate for return waves is about 75% (sometimes the other guy waves first!). However, this part of PA is not overly populated with 911s, Boxster/Caymen. Lots of SUVs though. For reference, the local dealership has 18 new cars in inventory. One is a Boxster, the rest are SUVs. Not one new 911!!
Old 04-12-2021, 05:29 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Whew, easy on the Macan hate thing. I don't need to showboat, and the Macan was our third Porsche. Makes a terrific, all weather garage mate to my 911. Rides great, it is fun to drive (faster than my Hemi Jeep and Cayenne Diesel), tootles along the highways much faster than the traffic flow, made as well if not better then my Cayenne and 911, Not really caring about the leg room in back, but no one complains back there. Plenty of cargo space and we have all the toys. Perfect car, no, but for those of us who don't need a Cayenne or a big SUV, it rocks. Understood you don't like it, but it if far from a Tig, I owned one of those too.
Just my opinion. I had the base 2.0 with VW and Audi rings stamped all over the thing... I did admit that it turns and handles nice, it ends there though. I'm sure the Turbo or GTS variants are better, but that 2.0 is not fun.

Also, the trunk space is laughable. I'll hold that to the grave. Unless you fold down the seats which is fine except when you need them. On multiple occasions the auto trunk would not close and latch shut over the simplest things.

Originally Posted by Chillywon
"dude"

You're a clown
You seem upset. Thanks.
Originally Posted by ducktails
LOL tell us how you really feel about Macans

You're factually incorrect about it being a Tiguan with a Porsche badge, that's just lazy; like the Jeremy Clarkson chestnut that the 911 is a stretched beetle.

One thing in the Macan's favor is that it has the 'Miata factor' on backroads. Not that it handles like a Miata (though if you push it, it's got incredible grip and agility for what it is) ... what I mean is; if in a S or GTS guise, if driven properly, you can seriously humiliate mediocre drivers of fancier sports cars.
I don't doubt that last part one bit, especially in the right hands... I took that loaner to it's limits and sometimes beyond. It's certainly better than the other A-B cars out there, but I hate it. It sucks in so many ways.

Originally Posted by ICU991812
come on... tell us how you really feel. lol. I've never driven one, so no opinions on Macans, but I do know Porsche sells a lot of them. However, I can't imagine it being that terrible.
How I really feel? If I had the power to erase this car from existence, I would

Then again, like mentioned the Turbo or GTS could be a different story, but that won't fix the space issue. For a car it's size, it needs more space. Final. I won't derail this thread and debate this, but there's no way you can argue for that 2.0 engine. It's super laggy for a stock car, and in sport under moderate throttle it has this insanely unpredictable sling shot effect which is not fun in any way unless you're trying to race. There's no middle ground in sport mode. Also, the nannies... Yikes! Not as bad as new Hondas or other cars which you can never shut off, but too much intruding for a Porsche.

I get a lot of you guys have Macan's and didn't like the stereotype I presented... Can I have my opinion though?.. I wonder what the reactions will be when the 911 stereotypes are said lol.

Old 04-12-2021, 05:45 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 569 Posts

I have a Q5 2.0,wives, and Its not as bad as you say. Its No fun sports car but its tolerable when Im away from my P cars.
Old 04-12-2021, 06:42 PM
ducktails
Racer

Received 464 Likes on 189 Posts

I wonder what the reactions will be when the 911 stereotypes are said lol.
Fair - I guess it's hot takes like that which make these threads entertaining, even if (especially if) we disagree vehemently with them.

However, I've been in this forum long enough to know that if we don't quickly return to the original topic about the wave, we will shortly be on to an NA vs Turbo discussion, and then a few posts after that someone is going to post pictures of their steel sports Rolexes

Speaking of the wave (or double flash) I say why not do it with Macans and Cayennes? It might cause mass confusion for all but the enthusiast owners (I count myself in that group) but hey, if you do it from behind they might move over for you.
911dude41 (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Is the 911 Wave Dead