991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 pricing is out of control right now

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2021 | 11:08 AM
Cheech54
Intermediate

I live in WA state and purchased my 991.1 C2S from a private party in San Jose last Oct. Registration in WA was $7600+. Sales tax and RTA excise tax for light rail. If you trade in at a dealer you can get a break on the sales tax. The RTA is an every rear deal to the tune of about 1K this year for the Pcar. The sales tax on big stuff can be pretty brutal.

Since this is a thread on pricing, the value increase has exceeded the reg costs by about double at this point. I don't think I could talk myself into pulling the trigger at what that car would cost me now. The sales and excise taxes tacked on to the inflated value would probably swing the decision to a no.

Last edited by Cheech54; 06-16-2021 at 11:13 AM. Reason: info added
Old 06-16-2021 | 11:25 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

I think I paid $38 for my annual registration this year here in FL. When I bought it ('17 C2) June 2019 as a used car in NY, we drove it home and I paid the one-time 7% sales tax to register it in Hillsborough (basically Tampa) county. That's it. Hearing about what you guys pay to register and keep a car, wow, that is expensive.
Old 06-16-2021 | 02:28 PM
dd356
Racer

Originally Posted by Martin S.
The point I was trying to make, apparently not that clear, CA and the Feds do not seem to be going after capital gains on vehicle sales. A person with a car/art/watch, etc. collection that has appreciated dramatically, could pare down the collection a bit and pocket money untaxed. I could babble on about taxes...BUT, this is a 991 car forum...so I will drop this.
One of the issues related to this is there are also a lot of "investment" type cars which if you consider your true basis of costs incurred while you owned it to maintain it would throw a lot of cars into the loss category. I own multiple vehicles(10 give or take) so for everyone you have that you may be in the money on, there are also those that would be losses as well. It's pretty hard to only tax good guys and not allow the deduction of the losers for car collectors. I do not think they want to raise the profile on this topic.
Old 06-16-2021 | 03:28 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

I think it's hard to compare taxes for the different jurisdiction. Some states have no state income tax, so naturally they end up taxing other things.
Old 06-16-2021 | 03:41 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by Speed2k
I think it's hard to compare taxes for the different jurisdiction. Some states have no state income tax, so naturally they end up taxing other things.
Exactly. WA people or even where I am in NV, can't really complain since we don't have state income tax! I save way more there than the $800 I had to pay in registration here. In fact in NV you don't pay sales tax if it's a private party purchase for all vehicles.

I paid $84k for my GTS and paid zero sales tax!
Old 06-16-2021 | 07:44 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snake eyes
You guys complaining about taxes LOL
I moved last year from St louis to GA... So I paid MO personnel property tax.. Than GA made bend over and pay (new vehicle tax) in order to register my car in the state.
I paid around $5,500 in taxes for a car I ALREADY own total....
That's before registration fee's...

No way I'm buying a new car and paying taxes again... its giving your money away for no reason
The vehicle tax in GA is not kind... The use tax is.. lease it!
Get a job, a better job or another job. Should have bought AMZN, Jr.

LOl @ thinking you are avoiding taxes by leasing..
The following users liked this post:
sexfiend (06-16-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 07:46 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Get a job, a better job or another job. Should have bought AMZN, Jr.

LOl @ thinking you are avoiding taxes by leasing..
LOL jokes on you. Perhaps he's a business owner and his company leases the vehicle with a very very favorable buyout at the end of the term..............
Old 06-16-2021 | 08:50 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

In CA, every aspect of the deal is taxed. You pay sales tax on the monthly lease payment and if you choose to buy the car at term, you are taxed on that purchase as well.

Some people have a need to capitalize a lease to keep the lease payment lower....that payment is taxed up front...then sales tax monthly, then sales tax on the buy out if exercised.

Death and taxes: Inevitable.
Gary JR (06-17-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 11:28 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

In CA, every aspect of the deal is taxed. You pay sales tax on the monthly lease payment and if you choose to buy the car at term, you are taxed on that purchase as well.

Some people have a need to capitalize a lease to keep the lease payment lower....that payment is taxed up front...then sales tax monthly, then sales tax on the buy out if exercised.

People forget one of the main issues we fled Europe was taxation without representation..... but now most Americans don't have a clue and are consumed by the Kardashians, instagram, blm bs, ect its all very sad. We are becoming a nation of sheep.
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
The Ox (06-17-2021), Trapperj (06-24-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 11:38 PM
Heathen1970
AutoX

Default I was in a happy place.

Enjoying the possibility that one of the few cars my middle income *** has purchased in my lifetime has appreciated and y’all went off on a Tax and investment strategy tangent. I have a CPA for that. This thread went to ****.
enzotcat (06-23-2021)
Old 06-16-2021 | 11:46 PM
911dude41
Drifting

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
People forget one of the main issues we fled Europe was taxation without representation..... but now most Americans don't have a clue and are consumed by the Kardashians, instagram, blm bs, ect its all very sad. We are becoming a nation of sheep.
Becoming? It's already happened lol.

American kid wants to be a Youtube star. Japanese/Korean/Chinese kids want to be astronauts. There's been a sizable survey done on that.
Old 06-16-2021 | 11:51 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Not sure why one would expect any different. If you turned the car in at the end of lease and someone else bought it, would you not expect them to pay the sales tax?
Old 06-17-2021 | 12:12 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

This is not accurate. In California, you basically pay tax on the car once whether you buy or lease it. When you lease a car, assuming you don't put a down payment (which you should never do on a lease), you are only taxed on the monthly lease payments. If your car get totaled after 1 month, you have only paid sales tax on that one single monthly payment. If you have a 36 month lease and you pay your lease payments each month, you are taxed only for the 36 monthly payments. Say after 36 months, the residual is 60%. You have basically paid sales tax on the 40% of the car that you paid for via the 36 lease payments. If you turn the lease back in, you NEVER pay the remaining sales tax on the 60% residual.

On the other hand, if after 36 months, you decide to buy out the lease, you pay sales tax on the residual buy out, i.e. you pay Porsche 60% for the buyout and California taxes you for the 60% buy out. In the end, you've only paid sales tax one time on the car (sales tax paid monthly on the 40% of the car that was paid via the 36 month lease and sales tax on the 60% residual when you bought out the lease). This is exactly the same amount of sales tax you would incur if you purchased the car, except leassors are smart because they did not have to pony up the entire sales tax on 100% of the car up front or finance a loan that included 100% of the sales tax which could never be recouped when you sell the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
Booth9999 (06-26-2021), CPL55 (06-18-2021), forbiddenbeat (06-17-2021), shammerman (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021 | 12:18 AM
bxracer1
Banned

It's just absolutely crazy, but look at the used car market everywhere.
Old 06-17-2021 | 12:37 AM
cutlass476
Racer

Originally Posted by Speed2k
Yeah, except in Florida we don’t have a state income tax and our car registrations don’t have any crazy taxes either. Trust me, people wouldn’t flocking here from California and New York if it weren’t for the economics. I just wish they wouldn’t bring the same dumb *** ideas that ruined their states with them.
The following 4 users liked this post by cutlass476:
daveyator (06-17-2021), jfischet (06-17-2021), NJ991 (06-17-2021), The Ox (06-17-2021)

Quick Reply: 991 pricing is out of control right now