Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In Hindsight are You Happy You Purchased an Aftermarket Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 02:58 PM
maplefrm
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Tomorrow the CPO on our 2012 Turbo S ends. We bought the car with 28,000 miles on it and it now has 43,000 miles. During that 2 year period the only thing that needed repaired was replacing the cup holder. This is our third CPO Porsche, one needed a water pump and the other needed a new key and ignition switch followed by a seat belt (retractor failed). So overall the repairs on each car were less expensive than the added cost of a CPO warranty. But I had peace of mind that should something expensive go bad I was probably covered.

So, yesterday I bought a Fidelity Platinum Warranty: 4 years / 48,000 miles $500 deductible at a cost of $5153.00. Just for reference a $250 deductible would cost $6319 and a $100 deductible would cost $7399. I don't know that I'll need it but I do know that every time I drive it I'll be happy that I have it and it will be one less thing to worry about. Purchasing the Fidelity Warranty is more painful because you have to pay for it out of pocket. With the original CPO it was included in the cost of the car and you didn't really notice it.

I also went through Michael Jourdan at Mossy Motors

Old 12-17-2020, 03:12 PM
afk
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ottodawg
I have to agree with LexVan. Take your $5k, invest it wisely, and you'll have most repairs covered if needed. If not you get to keep your $5k and a tidy profit for mods!

you all must be the best investors in town ....

insurance is insurance -- betting is betting
The following users liked this post:
jimmiejam (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 03:19 PM
ottodawg
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by afk
you all must be the best investors in town ....

insurance is insurance -- betting is betting
What do you think the insurance companies are doing, sitting on your cash? They're investing it wisely, just cut out the middle man.. 😉 That said, if it makes sleep better at night, and your ride more enjoyable, it's probably worth the cash.

Last edited by ottodawg; 12-17-2020 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:05 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 136 Likes on 100 Posts

For my Mercs, the warranties always paid for themselves. For my Porsches, I never used them.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JC Lacayo
For my Mercs, the warranties always paid for themselves. For my Porsches, I never used them.
Funny, same for my old BMW M5, it was flawless (except a couple little things) then the warranty expired, and $10k worth of work needed to be done!
So I traded it in on a Alfa. And that's a whole other story.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:11 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by maplefrm
Tomorrow the CPO on our 2012 Turbo S ends. We bought the car with 28,000 miles on it and it now has 43,000 miles. During that 2 year period the only thing that needed repaired was replacing the cup holder. This is our third CPO Porsche, one needed a water pump and the other needed a new key and ignition switch followed by a seat belt (retractor failed). So overall the repairs on each car were less expensive than the added cost of a CPO warranty. But I had peace of mind that should something expensive go bad I was probably covered.

So, yesterday I bought a Fidelity Platinum Warranty: 4 years / 48,000 miles $500 deductible at a cost of $5153.00. Just for reference a $250 deductible would cost $6319 and a $100 deductible would cost $7399. I don't know that I'll need it but I do know that every time I drive it I'll be happy that I have it and it will be one less thing to worry about. Purchasing the Fidelity Warranty is more painful because you have to pay for it out of pocket. With the original CPO it was included in the cost of the car and you didn't really notice it.

I also went through Michael Jourdan at Mossy Motors
I also got a Fidelity warranty years ago on a 2008 G500 with 52k miles. I was not at all familiar with gwagons and didn't want a $10k repair bill to sour the experience. I would have done it again even if I claimed less than half of the $5k premium in repairs for that car. I also got the higher deductible which lead me to not bring it in for minor annoying issues which the higher deductible is supposed to do. With the Porsche CPO, you would just bring it in if your right side cup holder was acting up. One thing I didn't like about Fidelity was one of their agents still had to approve each warranty claim. I felt pretty confident about what the Porsche CPO warranty covered, but didn't like that additional anxiety waiting for Fidelity's approval.

On my Porsche's, I have let the warranty run out and usually have the car at least a year without warranty. But those have all been manuals and, knock on wood, have all been reliable. If it had pdk, I'd have a harder time taking it for a casual spin with the thought of a possible pdk repair.
Old 12-17-2020, 05:18 PM
barncobob
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 460 Posts

i usually end up getting a newer(not brand new) after 1-2 years go bye the warranty end...newer car would have 2 years factory and any additional purchased by PO,,,works for me...
Old 12-17-2020, 06:16 PM
911Love
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am looking to buy an extended warranty for my 2012 991.1 C2(65k miles) with PDK and browsing through companies. Here are my options;

- Fidelity (received the quotes from Michael):

a. Power Train - $3,366 - 4 yr - 48k miles - $500 deductible
b. Gold Warranty - $6,019 - 4 yr- 48k miles - $500 deductible
* For Fidelity options; a Porsche mechanic told me that Powertrain is pointless for a 991.1 unless it was tracked, he recommended either get Gold or nothing. Do you agree?

- Endurance ( Power Train and Electrical)- $3,594 - 5 yr- 50 k miles - $100 deductible

- Concord Auto Warranty (Comprehensive) - $3,550 - 5 yr - 75k miles - $0 Deductible

Fidelity seems solid, but not so sure about Endurance or Concord. Please advise your experiences and what your recommendations are including different companies. I would appreciate your inputs.

Thanks,

Last edited by 911Love; 12-17-2020 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12-17-2020, 08:44 PM
NF4710
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

To be honest much of the value of a warranty revolves around the dealership and its willingness to use them. The aforementioned advice of contacting your service advisor is spot-on. I have a Zurich warranty - the Porsche dealer in VA Beach had an alarm module replaced for me (around $1000 from what I recall) under the warranty without issue. I subsequently had a sun visor fail (the electrical portion involving the lid) - my local dealer claimed it wouldn't be covered. They claimed to have contacted Zurich but when I called Zurich they said no one had attempted to make any contact or claim since the repair in VA. Basically the dealership was too lazy to even try contacting the warranty company (despite me handing them the company's number and a coverage sheet that includes a variety of mirrors).

Now that said I believe my Zurich warranty was around $4000 for 7 years and 50k miles. It was purchased when the car was 4 years old with 10k on the odo. I've heard nothing but good things about Zurich and the warranty (comprehensive) covers entertainment systems, most powertrain parts, etc. That said like most extended warranties it doesn't cover interior trim, bulbs, exhaust/cats, throttle bodies, paint, glass, brake discs/pads, clutch, etc. Shock absorbers are listed as an excluded item but McPherson struts are covered (I'm not sure what our 991 PASM shocks would be considered). Engine seals are included if your car has less than 100k at the time of warranty purchase. The comprehensive plan also includes engine mounts (probably a good thing with reported PADM failures).

With all of these policies the devil is in the details. Many will require either a dealer or a high level shop - in some cases the dealer may be your only option. I'll add that the companies don't quite make it clear what they use to determine if someone is "qualified" for your repair. Again, the dealer is usually not a problem. Of the common things that go wrong in these cars (door panel delamination, engine/frunk struts, windshield seals, PADM engine mounts, tail light assembly self-destruction) few would be covered by an extended warranty. The bigger issues are PDK failure (fortunately they seem to be rare) or in the MT there's the reverse light failure (which now has a brilliant, cost-effective workaround from the wonderful guys here on Rennlist).

So far I've owned the car 4 years and only one ~1k repair was covered. Now, saddled with a criminally lazy dealer and the warranty is nearly worthless (hopefully I'll find another shop that Zurich will accept as competent). Probably wouldn't go the extended warranty route (that's not a reflection on Zurich but rather the reliability of the 991 so far).

Hope that helps,
NF
911Love (12-17-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 06:29 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by NF4710
To be honest much of the value of a warranty revolves around the dealership and its willingness to use them. The aforementioned advice of contacting your service advisor is spot-on. I have a Zurich warranty - the Porsche dealer in VA Beach had an alarm module replaced for me (around $1000 from what I recall) under the warranty without issue. I subsequently had a sun visor fail (the electrical portion involving the lid) - my local dealer claimed it wouldn't be covered. They claimed to have contacted Zurich but when I called Zurich they said no one had attempted to make any contact or claim since the repair in VA. Basically the dealership was too lazy to even try contacting the warranty company (despite me handing them the company's number and a coverage sheet that includes a variety of mirrors).

Now that said I believe my Zurich warranty was around $4000 for 7 years and 50k miles. It was purchased when the car was 4 years old with 10k on the odo. I've heard nothing but good things about Zurich and the warranty (comprehensive) covers entertainment systems, most powertrain parts, etc. That said like most extended warranties it doesn't cover interior trim, bulbs, exhaust/cats, throttle bodies, paint, glass, brake discs/pads, clutch, etc. Shock absorbers are listed as an excluded item but McPherson struts are covered (I'm not sure what our 991 PASM shocks would be considered). Engine seals are included if your car has less than 100k at the time of warranty purchase. The comprehensive plan also includes engine mounts (probably a good thing with reported PADM failures).

With all of these policies the devil is in the details. Many will require either a dealer or a high level shop - in some cases the dealer may be your only option. I'll add that the companies don't quite make it clear what they use to determine if someone is "qualified" for your repair. Again, the dealer is usually not a problem. Of the common things that go wrong in these cars (door panel delamination, engine/frunk struts, windshield seals, PADM engine mounts, tail light assembly self-destruction) few would be covered by an extended warranty. The bigger issues are PDK failure (fortunately they seem to be rare) or in the MT there's the reverse light failure (which now has a brilliant, cost-effective workaround from the wonderful guys here on Rennlist).

So far I've owned the car 4 years and only one ~1k repair was covered. Now, saddled with a criminally lazy dealer and the warranty is nearly worthless (hopefully I'll find another shop that Zurich will accept as competent). Probably wouldn't go the extended warranty route (that's not a reflection on Zurich but rather the reliability of the 991 so far).

Hope that helps,
NF
Porsche sells vehicle protection plans through their dealers. The prices seem competitive but the car will need to be serviced and repaired at the dealer. May be an option for 991.2 owners who get their cars serviced at the dealer. My car’s 4 year warranty will be over next August and if I keep my car, I will look into the warranty. OTOH, my C4S manual has been very reliable over 3 years. No problems.

Last edited by subwoofer; 12-18-2020 at 06:33 PM.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:02 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 1,022 Likes on 511 Posts

Just paid $4206 for a 10 year 100k mile Fidelity Platinum Protection Plan with $250 deductible. Since I just purchased it last week, i have little hindsight about my decision but I feel that $4206 is a small price to pay foe piece of mind on a $100k+ car that I intend to keep and enjoy for a long time.

Also, The warranty is fully transferable to next owner or refundable (prorated) at any time. Hard to go wrong.
Jimmyk79 (12-20-2020)
Old 12-20-2020, 11:11 AM
My991
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
On a PDK car, I would buy an extended warranty. The $10k+ repair I would not be ok with. On a manual car, I would probably risk it and not buy one.
Plenty of posts on the reverse switch going south on the MT which also requires a complete transmission swap. If this keeps you awake at night get a warranty.
For me, I had purchased the warranty upon buying the car w/PDK and had it inspected by a reputable Indy and since the car was problem free since new with 34k miles I decided to return the warranty and got all the money back. Keeping ahead of maintenance schedule using quality products and keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by My991; 12-20-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:01 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
Just paid $4206 for a 10 year 100k mile Fidelity Platinum Protection Plan with $250 deductible. Since I just purchased it last week, i have little hindsight about my decision but I feel that $4206 is a small price to pay foe piece of mind on a $100k+ car that I intend to keep and enjoy for a long time.

Also, The warranty is fully transferable to next owner or refundable (prorated) at any time. Hard to go wrong.
Car is under 10k miles? So you now are covered for an additional 10 years and additional 100k miles?
Old 12-20-2020, 01:04 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by My991
Plenty of posts on the reverse switch going south on the MT....
Plenty? I think maybe 4??? Let's not exaggerate something.
Old 12-20-2020, 02:16 PM
My991
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Plenty? I think maybe 4??? Let's not exaggerate something.
I don’t spend much time researching but have seen as many MT issues posted as PDK ( these seem to be long posts BTW). Keep in mind not every issue gets posted. Are you keeping a tally and have numbers?

Quick Reply: In Hindsight are You Happy You Purchased an Aftermarket Warranty?