Sponsored by:

Anyone with DSC Sport Module?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 12:13 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Anyone with DSC Sport Module?

Have searched everywhere and there is not an abundance of reviews on the DSC Sport Module for 991.2 non GT cars. I have a base 991.2, and am seriously considering this mod.

Some of my concerns arise when people speak to the car becoming more soft, both in normal and sport mode, with the DSC Sport installed.

I prefer SPASM over PASM, and feel at times in city driving when cornering the front end feels more floaty on my PASM car. (I am running comfort tire settings FYI).

My thought was that the DSC Sport module could help alleviate some of that. I feel that a SPASM 991.2 car feels much more planted, tight, less floaty, in Sport Mode. Is the DSC Sport module magical enough to recreate this, or are springs and roll bars ultimately needed.

I realize the DSC Sport module is active, and that one could put Sport mode to something above 75% stock stiffness. But I am not sure if doing that would get me more of the SPASM feel, or just more of a harsh and not great ride.

If anyone has it installed I would appreciate any feedback.
Old 06-29-2020, 12:49 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Lots of great info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9188...is-freaky.html

The T reviews would compare well for your purposes, havent heard a bad thing about the module!
Old 06-29-2020, 01:04 PM
YetiRojo
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Its one of those things where so many people had so many good things to say about it, I figured if I could find one cheap I'd get it to see what it was all about.

I did, and I now get it.

I installed it the week before I took my car to Robbinsville, NC for the Rennsport Dragon Rally. The grip felt absolutely endless on the tight turns of the Tail of the Dragon. On 1 particular run I was following a Cayman GTS, and there was a GT4 behind me. At our next stop the GT4 driver came up and commented on how remarkably stable my car was following GTS.

I especially like how I can choose different maps to suit different driving conditions. So I have the Turbo S "Normal" mode mapped to Normal on my car, and the GT3RS Sport mapped to "Sport", because the GT3 mode feels a little stiffer than the Turbo S map.

I could really see how beneficial it would be if I were to spend a lot of time on a track because of the ability to create custom maps.

I'm pleased with the purchase, and knowing what I know now I'd buy it again.
The following 2 users liked this post by YetiRojo:
GT3FZS (06-30-2020), _RS_ (07-02-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 01:34 PM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

I have it installed on my '19 GTS and have been very happy with it. It has made the car much more compliant on my crappy local roads in the Northeast. I've had the car out on track twice with it installed. I've tried both the "correct" profile for my car and also the GT3 RS profile. I'm not sure I noticed a *huge* difference between the two different profiles, but both seem a fairly substantial improvement over stock. I actually went back to the "correct" profile for my car for my most recent track day but am now thinking I'll do the split that @YetiRojo mentioned above to have the 3RS profile when in Sport mode.
I got mine from another RLer in the marketplace to save a bit of money, but either way, it's a complete no-brainer upgrade for a dual use car, IMO.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:21 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 666 Likes on 294 Posts

I have had my DSC controller in my T for over 8,000 miles and love it. I have done multiple track days as well and it does make a huge difference over stock. Well worth the money.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Lots of great info here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9188...is-freaky.html

The T reviews would compare well for your purposes, havent heard a bad thing about the module!
Thank you. Yes I have read this and a few other posts...just not yet confident to give it a go.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

You will see only great reviews and feedback about DSC modules. You have the ability to tune these modules to your specific liking if you don't like how it comes out of the box from DSC.

This past month we have sold 991.2 non GT cars, lot of regular Carrera S to be exact. It improves almost every aspect of the suspension of the 991. This is for almost all adaptive suspension vehicles that DSC provides modules for. I am sure a lot of owners will chime in on here!

Let us know if we can answer any questions, DSC is great at providing customer support as well.

We have one last 991.2 module in stock, and I know DSC just stocked up on their modules again as well.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
I have it installed on my '19 GTS and have been very happy with it. It has made the car much more compliant on my crappy local roads in the Northeast. I've had the car out on track twice with it installed. I've tried both the "correct" profile for my car and also the GT3 RS profile. I'm not sure I noticed a *huge* difference between the two different profiles, but both seem a fairly substantial improvement over stock. I actually went back to the "correct" profile for my car for my most recent track day but am now thinking I'll do the split that @YetiRojo mentioned above to have the 3RS profile when in Sport mode.
I got mine from another RLer in the marketplace to save a bit of money, but either way, it's a complete no-brainer upgrade for a dual use car, IMO.
Originally Posted by YetiRojo
Its one of those things where so many people had so many good things to say about it, I figured if I could find one cheap I'd get it to see what it was all about.

I did, and I now get it.

I installed it the week before I took my car to Robbinsville, NC for the Rennsport Dragon Rally. The grip felt absolutely endless on the tight turns of the Tail of the Dragon. On 1 particular run I was following a Cayman GTS, and there was a GT4 behind me. At our next stop the GT4 driver came up and commented on how remarkably stable my car was following GTS.

I especially like how I can choose different maps to suit different driving conditions. So I have the Turbo S "Normal" mode mapped to Normal on my car, and the GT3RS Sport mapped to "Sport", because the GT3 mode feels a little stiffer than the Turbo S map.

I could really see how beneficial it would be if I were to spend a lot of time on a track because of the ability to create custom maps.

I'm pleased with the purchase, and knowing what I know now I'd buy it again.
Originally Posted by spyderbret
I have had my DSC controller in my T for over 8,000 miles and love it. I have done multiple track days as well and it does make a huge difference over stock. Well worth the money.
Thank you all. Good to read some further comments.

My ultimate goal would be again to have the suspension firmer, not harsher, in Sport mode (I do not have Sport Chrono). It seems like the DSC might pull that off then, without the need for different springs etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by nicholascanada:
Meraki Autoworks (06-29-2020), spyderbret (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:19 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

It will achieve what you're looking for, but it will at the same time create a more forgiving ride. It's not like a blanket firming of the suspension. The stock files are fixed and the DSC is dynamic, so you're getting the softest possible, toggling to the firmest possible in the respective parameters. You can feel the transition. I believe through other DSC files and even changes to individual settings which Tom has referenced in the GT3 forum, one can dial that sensation out. Keeping it from its full relaxed in whatever settings, at the cost of the less relaxed and absorbent ride. Possibly? All in all it takes a standard suspension and it makes it feel more like a GT suspension, in the ability to soak up bump. While still delivering the full aggression of the suspension at any moment.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 03:26 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by Ceepe
It will achieve what you're looking for, but it will at the same time create a more forgiving ride. It's not like a blanket firming of the suspension. The stock files are fixed and the DSC is dynamic, so you're getting the softest possible, toggling to the firmest possible in the respective parameters. You can feel the transition. I believe through other DSC files and even changes to individual settings which Tom has referenced in the GT3 forum, one can dial that sensation out. Keeping it from its full relaxed in whatever settings, at the cost of the less relaxed and absorbent ride. Possibly? All in all it takes a standard suspension and it makes it feel more like a GT suspension, in the ability to soak up bump. While still delivering the full aggression of the suspension at any moment.
I am guessing you could narrow the margin of say sport mode to something higher for softest, and therefore never have a completely soft ride? (ie change the programming to 45% to 100%)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:46 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Yes. I have not even explored other files yet. Let alone changed settings within a file. It's very pleasing right out of the box. For my car I feel like I need to tweak it a little and hope to soon.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

There's a lot of positive feedback out there. I have a base '18 MT. I was shocked by how amazing the DSC module was when I first got it. I also did an alignment with more camber at the same time.

Some impressions:
- car was noticeably more stable
- more noise from the rear during hard revving (engine mount stiffness)
- have no LSD, and noticed much less power oversteer
- girlfriend asked if something changed in the car because she could feel it

The base is sandbagged:
- I was so impressed by the difference that software makes on the platform that I felt more confident about getting an ECU tune after getting the DSC module

Base spring rates are very soft, so there's a limit to what DSC can do, but despite that, it's great. I ended up getting Tractive shocks with lower damping latency than stock shocks, and stiffer springs. Now the base car is in a totally different category - drivably comfy around town, and stiff when it matters - and DSC is a big part of it.

Next steps for me:
- update map to make normal chassis setting as stiff, and make stiff as even more stiff
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (07-02-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
Thank you. Yes I have read this and a few other posts...just not yet confident to give it a go.
Well I am not sure what else someone can tell you but you can talk to Tom and tell him exactly what you are looking for and let him set it up that way, if possible.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:49 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Originally Posted by tosha
There's a lot of positive feedback out there. I have a base '18 MT. I was shocked by how amazing the DSC module was when I first got it. I also did an alignment with more camber at the same time.

Some impressions:
- car was noticeably more stable
- more noise from the rear during hard revving (engine mount stiffness)
- have no LSD, and noticed much less power oversteer
- girlfriend asked if something changed in the car because she could feel it

The base is sandbagged:
- I was so impressed by the difference that software makes on the platform that I felt more confident about getting an ECU tune after getting the DSC module

Base spring rates are very soft, so there's a limit to what DSC can do, but despite that, it's great. I ended up getting Tractive shocks with lower damping latency than stock shocks, and stiffer springs. Now the base car is in a totally different category - drivably comfy around town, and stiff when it matters - and DSC is a big part of it.

Next steps for me:
- update map to make normal chassis setting as stiff, and make stiff as even more stiff
So even though the base springs are soft, you did think the DSC Sport made more than just a marginal difference in handling?
Old 06-30-2020, 01:17 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Yes. You still have the variable damping/sport button. What you will get is a more compliant ride than your current normal mode, with the bite of the sport setting as soon as you induce G. That might be softer on the PASM car, but it's still fusing the two ends of the spectrum in a dynamic way.

Quick Reply: Anyone with DSC Sport Module?