Sponsored by:

Anyone with DSC Sport Module?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:08 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
CT-Peter, were you out with CVR? Craving some Lime Rock time. Maybe in August. I'm still a yellow run group and require the instructor.
Can't wait to try the DSC on the track in the baby T. That said, I've evolved in my safety concerns on the circuit and really want to have a bar, harness, and Hans for future days. None of which I have in the car at the moment.

egrossman, im in the same boat. Don't have a PC and don't feel like sorting all that out, on top of learning the DSC software file changes. Luckily a local member has informed me of a great local mechanic who will hopefully sort out some of my projects with me. Hopefully you can find someone to toggle files for you as well.
I went out with SCDA instead of CVR (though ran with CVR for almost all their events last year). DM me if you want more insight into SCDA - fantastic club! Also, depending on where you are, if you’re local to western CT, I’m happy to help with the windows side of the DSC (full disclosure... I do NOT like Windows and am a Mac dude, but with the curse of being an IT person, I know Windows well) 🤣
Old 07-02-2020, 10:25 AM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
If I was local, I’d certainly help out.

It’s not too evil if you have a smidge of Windows experience. You have two options for your Mac:
1. Apple’s Bootcamp (not ideal and massive overkill for this purpose
2. Virtualization: either VMware’s Fusion or Parallels similar option will work, but check out Virtualbox for a more cost effective route.

You can freely download Windows from Microsoft and the install process is fairly straight forward/automated with any of the above options.

Since this is all you’ll likely use it for, the virtualization option is much simpler/efficient.

You won’t need to be using the software too often, but the minimal effort above is worth it if you want to be able to make changes.

Might you haven’t already installed, be sure to leave the USB cable plugged in when you insert the DSC into its home as removing it to get to the port would be much more annoying than dealing with the Windows side of this.

Feel free to DM if you want more assistance.

Thank you for the offer. When I installed, I added 6ft usb connecter as I knew I would want to make changes at some point. Local shop wants $120 to change the files. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't want to experiment. I will probably just bite the bullet and deal with the apple/windows issue or borrow a laptop from someone.

The following users liked this post:
dsddcd (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 10:39 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CT_Peter
After trying a few different files, I’ve settled on GT3 Touring for “normal” and 3RS for “sport” for my GTS. I did not like the proper 991 file at all. The GT3 Touring file made 8.5 hours of seat time yesterday on a significant variety of road types and quality absolutely perfect. The 3RS file with suspension in Sport was fantastic at LRP.

I don’t personally find the difference as eye openingly noticeable on the track as I do on bumpy public roads, but there’s no question for me that it’s been a substantial help on track too. LRP is a very active track (very short and no real breaks between corners) and the car just feels more composed. No idea if it was the DSC controller or my friend who I was doing lead/follow with all day, but I shaved 1.5” off my PB from last season on my first day back out this year and definitely think the controller had a lot to do with it.

The GT3 and the RS have a different shock and I would almost guarantee a different calibration. I would not recomend loading the GT map on a Carrera/Turbo. Rather the map for the Carrera should be modified, which is quite easily done.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:02 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by egrossman
Thank you for the offer. When I installed, I added 6ft usb connecter as I knew I would want to make changes at some point. Local shop wants $120 to change the files. I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't want to experiment. I will probably just bite the bullet and deal with the apple/windows issue or borrow a laptop from someone.
$120 is freaking ridiculous, IMO. I would have only charged you $115. Seriously though... it's about 5 minutes of "effort" to change the file. That rate is just outrageous.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:03 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsddcd
The GT3 and the RS have a different shock and I would almost guarantee a different calibration. I would not recomend loading the GT map on a Carrera/Turbo. Rather the map for the Carrera should be modified, which is quite easily done.
I'd initially thought the same from a logic standpoint, but then Tom posted that it's totally fine to use the other files... counter-intuitively, the results have been ideal in my experience.
dsddcd (07-03-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 11:15 AM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

CT_Peter completely agree. That’s their hourly rate. I would be fine with $60 a pop

Old 07-02-2020, 11:18 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

CT-Peter, were you out with CVR? Craving some Lime Rock time. Maybe in August. I'm still a yellow run group and require the instructor.
Can't wait to try the DSC on the track in the baby T. That said, I've evolved in my safety concerns on the circuit and really want to have a bar, harness, and Hans for future days. None of which I have in the car at the moment.

egrossman, im in the same boat. Don't have a PC and don't feel like sorting all that out, on top of learning the DSC software file changes. Luckily a local member has informed me of a great local mechanic who will hopefully sort out some of my projects with me. Hopefully you can find someone to toggle files for you as well.

A harness and a bar would be more dangerous. Your factory safety belts are as safe as you will get until you put a full roll bar or cage. I highly recommend learning more about the topic before moving forward.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:18 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by egrossman
CT_Peter completely agree. That’s their hourly rate. I would be fine with $60 a pop
LMK if you want and I'm happy to walk you through getting your mac set up to run Windows in a virtual machine. Alternately, impose on a buddy who has a Windows laptop and call it a day.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:53 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
A harness and a bar would be more dangerous. Your factory safety belts are as safe as you will get until you put a full roll bar or cage. I highly recommend learning more about the topic before moving forward.
The factory belt is safer only without a helmet. As soon as you throw on a helmet with no other gear you're in a far more dangerous situation. So I have decided if wearing a helmet as my local club requires, I will no longer go out without a harness, connected to either a half cage or bar, along with a hans or hybrid system to keep the neck movement limited.
CT_Peter (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 04:34 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

The factory belt is safer only without a helmet. As soon as you throw on a helmet with no other gear you're in a far more dangerous situation. So I have decided if wearing a helmet as my local club requires, I will no longer go out without a harness, connected to either a half cage or bar, along with a hans or hybrid system to keep the neck movement limited.
We are hijacking this thread but I would be happy to talk off line.

The short answer is I absolutely agree about the Hybrid Hans, I have used my Simpson Hybrid for many years with 3 point belts and strongly recommend it. If using a full harness roll over protection is strongly recommended.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:51 AM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 264 Posts

Received and installed mine yesterday afternoon. At first, I was skeptical, but after driving it about 40 miles, I can honestly say the car’s suspension is significantly more compliant over uneven pavement. Pretty noticeable difference, with what appears to be no downside. For the money, it is a surprisingly good value for the impact it has on the ride. I wasn’t looking for anything softer, but the module doesn’t make the car floaty at all.
Tom@TPC Racing (07-03-2020)
Old 07-03-2020, 01:26 PM
F355bob
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by mc3456
Received and installed mine yesterday afternoon. At first, I was skeptical, but after driving it about 40 miles, I can honestly say the car’s suspension is significantly more compliant over uneven pavement. Pretty noticeable difference, with what appears to be no downside. For the money, it is a surprisingly good value for the impact it has on the ride. I wasn’t looking for anything softer, but the module doesn’t make the car floaty at all.

What model car and stock springs?
Old 07-03-2020, 02:33 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

2017 911 C4S Cabriolet with PASM, 20” Wheels, and stock suspension. Very noticeable difference right out of the box. Debating upgrading to 21” Techart Formula IV wheels now that the ride is even more compliant. I’m used to firm suspensions, but this is a definite improvement, especially on bumpy corners.
Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 PM
mc3456
Rennlist Member

Rides on 20” RS Spyder Wheels.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:12 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Bunch of great feedback!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
BC Forged / Soul Performance / Akrapovic / Bilstein / HRE / AL13 / CSF + more

Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886

Quick Reply: Anyone with DSC Sport Module?