Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:32 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 966 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
So even though the base springs are soft, you did think the DSC Sport made more than just a marginal difference in handling?
Yes! That is the beauty of the DSC Sport active control algo - commanding the dampers to be stiffer than the springs to provide supplemental resistance only when needed during periods of higher g-force loads. The harder you drive the stiffer the suspension gets. Back in 2012 we tested a base Carrera with PASM to be 1.5sec faster on a 2-mile race track with DSC.

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

The following 2 users liked this post by Tom@TPC Racing:
AdamSanta85 (07-02-2020), GT3FZS (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 02:34 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

So even though the base springs are soft, you did think the DSC Sport made more than just a marginal difference in handling?
Yes, with the softer springs, the car was significantly better-handling. You could see the front staying level during turns. The car bobbed around less. It felt a lot more planted on turns.

I highly recommend you also get an alignment with more camber as well. This is my alignment before getting Tractive, which allowed me to lower the car and get even more camber.

Alignment with more camber on base suspension
Old 06-30-2020, 03:08 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Agree a DSC controller with an aggressive street alignment.. WIN
Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by tosha
Yes, with the softer springs, the car was significantly better-handling. You could see the front staying level during turns. The car bobbed around less. It felt a lot more planted on turns.

I highly recommend you also get an alignment with more camber as well. This is my alignment before getting Tractive, which allowed me to lower the car and get even more camber.

Alignment with more camber on base suspension
I am sorry but am a newbie completely on alignment, but then this setup above is heavily negative cambered?

When you mention allowed you to lower the car, do you mean just from the alignment and negative camber that the car was lowered?

Would DSC plus this alignment spec be a good setup if I was only planning on adding the DSC, or was this alignment more conducive to the Tractive change (which I would not be doing for certain).
Old 06-30-2020, 11:27 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts

I am also confused now because I took from DSC discussions that you could run a GT Tour file on a base Carrera to achieve a stiffer suspension setup. However one of the DSC dealers is stating you cannot.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 966 Likes on 534 Posts

I am also confused now because I took from DSC discussions that you could run a GT Tour file on a base Carrera to achieve a stiffer suspension setup. However one of the DSC dealers is stating you cannot.
You absolute can. I know absolutely for certain. Which dealer told you that?
The following users liked this post:
AdamSanta85 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 12:42 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

I am sorry but am a newbie completely on alignment, but then this setup above is heavily negative cambered?
It's actually pretty mild. For serious track use, -2.5 range is common.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:46 AM
usccharles
Pro

Received 228 Likes on 83 Posts

Sorry if this has been asked. How does DSC module affect Porsche factory warranty?

thank you 😉
Old 07-01-2020, 01:55 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

I have run as DSC on my 981 GTS, 991 Carrera 4S, 991.1 Turbo S, GT3 T and 991.2 GTS. In my opinion the module is very good for track cars that change springs and or changes to tire widths/stagger. It can help offset these changes and rebalance the car.

For a stock car you could change the balance a bit to provide a less understeer on track or firm up the dampening to account for a stickier tire.

For a street car the changes would be limited to softening or firming the ride. You could write the SPASM to the comfort mode, soften the comfort mode or firm up the SPASM mode. A warning firming up the suspension will likely provide too much bump and on harsh roads causing loss of traction such as snap oversteer.

The software is a bit antiquated but not bad if your familiar with tuning. There is a pretty good learning curve so be willing to watch their video’s and read the manuals. For those not very familiar with shock tuning I highly recommend searching the web for some tuning techniques and suggestions.

Quick Tips:
Make your changes in the calibration screen to firm up and loosen the overall dampening.
Use the comfort Setting Box to change the settings for ride comfort.
Any other changes should be reserved to advanced drivers and engineers.

Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 PM
Targe19
Track Day

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello everyone. Thanks to all of your informative comments, I took the plunge and bought the DSC V3 this week and it arrived today and already installed! I'm looking to install the Turbo S and GT3-RS Calib files and having issues with their USB download page. It gives a 404 error. Does anyone have a link that works or could PM me the installation file please?

Also, I noticed that It only changes the Normal and Sport, but not the Sport+. However, the shock button does not turn on with Sport+ anymore. Does anyone know more about this and can expand on it? Does the Sport+ have the same file as before? Therefore, will Sport mode be the best option for the handling of the car?

Thanks so much.
Old 07-02-2020, 01:17 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Targe19
Hello everyone. Thanks to all of your informative comments, I took the plunge and bought the DSC V3 this week and it arrived today and already installed! I'm looking to install the Turbo S and GT3-RS Calib files and having issues with their USB download page. It gives a 404 error. Does anyone have a link that works or could PM me the installation file please?

Also, I noticed that It only changes the Normal and Sport, but not the Sport+. However, the shock button does not turn on with Sport+ anymore. Does anyone know more about this and can expand on it? Does the Sport+ have the same file as before? Therefore, will Sport mode be the best option for the handling of the car?

Thanks so much.
I dropped a few files on my Cloud Drive and I am sure Tom will update shortly
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvJUDGTSXHiKgZhE...NCNSw?e=SAOP5r

You need to load the drivers and make sure that you have the correct car loaded, it sounds like you might not have the right one. Check out the below link for the Tutorials and I have included a document sent to me by DSC to help.
https://www.dscsport.com/tuning-academy/

As for the tunes, there are (2) for all the cars, one for the Comfort Shock and One for the Sport Chassis, the I, S & S+ don't impact the suspension.

The following 2 users liked this post by dsddcd:
AdamSanta85 (07-02-2020), Targe19 (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 08:36 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

After trying a few different files, I’ve settled on GT3 Touring for “normal” and 3RS for “sport” for my GTS. I did not like the proper 991 file at all. The GT3 Touring file made 8.5 hours of seat time yesterday on a significant variety of road types and quality absolutely perfect. The 3RS file with suspension in Sport was fantastic at LRP.

I don’t personally find the difference as eye openingly noticeable on the track as I do on bumpy public roads, but there’s no question for me that it’s been a substantial help on track too. LRP is a very active track (very short and no real breaks between corners) and the car just feels more composed. No idea if it was the DSC controller or my friend who I was doing lead/follow with all day, but I shaved 1.5” off my PB from last season on my first day back out this year and definitely think the controller had a lot to do with it.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 AM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 39 Posts

Recently installed a DSC controller and would like to load different files.

I am an apple person and don’t have the headspace right now for trying to figure out how to run windows on top of learning how to tweak the DSC files.

Is there anyone in/near Charlotte N.C. that would be willing to assist?
Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

CT-Peter, were you out with CVR? Craving some Lime Rock time. Maybe in August. I'm still a yellow run group and require the instructor.
Can't wait to try the DSC on the track in the baby T. That said, I've evolved in my safety concerns on the circuit and really want to have a bar, harness, and Hans for future days. None of which I have in the car at the moment.

egrossman, im in the same boat. Don't have a PC and don't feel like sorting all that out, on top of learning the DSC software file changes. Luckily a local member has informed me of a great local mechanic who will hopefully sort out some of my projects with me. Hopefully you can find someone to toggle files for you as well.
egrossman (07-02-2020)
Old 07-02-2020, 09:03 AM
CT_Peter
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by egrossman
Recently installed a DSC controller and would like to load different files.

I am an apple person and don’t have the headspace right now for trying to figure out how to run windows on top of learning how to tweak the DSC files.

Is there anyone in/near Charlotte N.C. that would be willing to assist?
If I was local, I’d certainly help out.

It’s not too evil if you have a smidge of Windows experience. You have two options for your Mac:
1. Apple’s Bootcamp (not ideal and massive overkill for this purpose
2. Virtualization: either VMware’s Fusion or Parallels similar option will work, but check out Virtualbox for a more cost effective route.

You can freely download Windows from Microsoft and the install process is fairly straight forward/automated with any of the above options.

Since this is all you’ll likely use it for, the virtualization option is much simpler/efficient.

You won’t need to be using the software too often, but the minimal effort above is worth it if you want to be able to make changes.

Might you haven’t already installed, be sure to leave the USB cable plugged in when you insert the DSC into its home as removing it to get to the port would be much more annoying than dealing with the Windows side of this.

Feel free to DM if you want more assistance.
egrossman (07-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Anyone with DSC Sport Module?