Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$3000 for service, am I getting ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 05:31 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Yea that’s high. I paid 2300 including 2 new P4S rear tires / alignment for 40k service. I think it was like 1600 just for service. Spark plugs are not DYI friendly on .2...I’m handy and after researching it’s not something I’d want to tackle. Materials are cheap...cost is the labor as it literally takes a tech a solid day to get it all done methodically and carefully.

Careful of indy shops. You don’t want your car to be training material. At a dealer you can ensure the tech is gold certified and has done it before (often many times).
Old 07-04-2020, 01:31 AM
whiteducktail
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

As someone who does his own car maintenance, I am now even more likely to retain my simple 991.1 instead of upgrading to a 991.2/Turbo. It's a shame that packaging affects serviceability in the turbo'd models.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:11 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Yea that’s high. I paid 2300 including 2 new P4S rear tires / alignment for 40k service. I think it was like 1600 just for service. Spark plugs are not DYI friendly on .2...I’m handy and after researching it’s not something I’d want to tackle. Materials are cheap...cost is the labor as it literally takes a tech a solid day to get it all done methodically and carefully.

Careful of indy shops. You don’t want your car to be training material. At a dealer you can ensure the tech is gold certified and has done it before (often many times).
There are plenty of dealership horror stories on these boards despite being "gold certified" (whatever that means). Just last week there was one on the 997 board where a dealership ruined the paint on a customer's PCCB calipers during a routine brake fluid flush. To their credit they are fixing it but good grief, everyone knows what brake fluid does to paint. How does this happen?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-own-work.html

No one is suggesting people take their car to some rando that rents a lift bay at the local gas station but to established and reputable shops with a track record. There are countless specialty Porsche shops that do fantastic work, are more knowledgeable than Porsche dealer techs, and don't ream you with $500 oil changes and $3500 brake jobs. However they don't have a latte bar like the Porsche dealership so a visit can be quite a hardship.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:12 PM
aways
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Wish that was true at my Dealer.... Just had my car worked on and serviced, and the tech was a newbie with ~6 months experience out of Porsche school, not gold, not silver, not even on their website. That said, I'm hoping he did a good job...
Old 07-08-2020, 10:48 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Labor rates are usually higher at the dealership and they bill by the recommended time it takes to finish the job per Porsche.

If you were to ask me, the first 1500 is first parts and labor the last 1500 goes towards caviar and cheese. 🤣
The following users liked this post:
duxsi (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 03:48 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Porsche uses technicians who have simply been trained to replace the parts that the diagnostic tools tells them to.
Anything else gets sent back to HQ for detailed analysis.
All their seasoned mechanics leave and join Indy shops, so if there was ever a place for "training material", it's your local overpriced Porsche dealership.

My most recent Certified Gold tech looked like he was going through puberty.
The following 3 users liked this post by duxsi:
Cristophosphorus (07-09-2020), luv2sleep (07-08-2020), Noah Fect (07-08-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 04:34 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by duxsi
Porsche uses technicians who have simply been trained to replace the parts that the diagnostic tools tells them to.
Anything else gets sent back to HQ for detailed analysis.
All their seasoned mechanics leave and join Indy shops, so if there was ever a place for "training material", it's your local overpriced Porsche dealership.

My most recent Certified Gold tech looked like he was going through puberty.
^^^
Skilled people leaving for greener pastures is just the nature of any business. Train to the lowest common denominator, streamline and simplify procedures, and eventually robots will replace all nonessential personnel -- win-win for the corporate world. In the interim, your six figure car will be worked on by someone a step above your average Joe fast food worker. No disrespect to workers in the fast food industry. Many have been there, at least in their youth. It's all in the packaging.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:31 PM
991.1 C4S
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another data point: I had a 40,000 service (with spark plugs) done at a very reputable indy in Miami and was charged $1,100. PM me if you want the details.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:50 PM
bravoraider
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rhao97
I’m doing my service at my local Porsche dealer. My 2017 C4S has 6000 miles and they recommended me to do a $3000 Usd service including oil,filters,sparkplugs...etc, not even transmission.
I talked with the advisor and asked to do only oil change, cab fiter, and brake fluids. Still a $1400 quote.
Am I getting ripped off? Or all Porsche dealers price like this?

edit: I also brought in my own brake fluids.
edit2: This was at Porsche Irvine. Can anyone recommend me good indie shops near Irvine? Appreciate any input!
Here is the shop I use, its in Costa Mesa.

HIGHLY RECOMEND, owner is a Porsche enthusiast.

https://www.coastautomotiveperformance.com/about/
Old 09-04-2020, 06:53 PM
bravoraider
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gmgracing
Hey there! Give us a call at 1.714.432.1582 or email Sales@gmgracing.com. We’ll be more than happy to assist!
gmgracing.com
Seeing all the beautiful GMG customer cars driving by my office all day makes my day!
gmgracing (09-04-2020)
Old 09-04-2020, 09:15 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Without seeing the actual work order $1400 seems high for just oil/cabin filter change and a brake fluid flush. However, I've paid as much or more for 2 visits to my dealer but those visits involved a lot more than just an oil change. Not cheap but I didn't feel "ripped" off.

Last edited by sgt1372; 09-04-2020 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:46 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI - I phoned my dealer and it was $3K as well for three year service.

‘’but I phoned around and found another dealer offering year 3 service for around $1800 - so it pays to shop around.

im still going to check out some indy’s in my area.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:05 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,518 Likes on 650 Posts

Something that many people might not know is that all dealership service advisors are commissioned salesmen. Think about that, the more stuff your "trusted advisor" convinces you that you needed, and the higher he can charge you for it, the more money he makes. Service advisors typically receive a base salary followed by a percentage (varies, but can be a couple of percent) of their sales. Successful service advisors make more in commission that their base salary.

They are pushed to upsell you pretty much worthless services like fuel injector flushes. Many dealerships claim rotors must be replaced during a brake job if there is any lip at all, this despite the fact that Porsche has specific allowable wear limits. Seriously, none of us would put up with this garbage when buying the car (nonsense like undercoating, dealer prep fees) so we go into the sale informed because it's clear the car salesman is not on our side. But then people allow themselves to get screwed over on service because they don't realize the service advisor is just as smarmy.

There is a ridiculous conflict of interest that is never disclosed to customers. Seriously, there is no reason to ever take your car to a dealer for service except warranty work or specialized programming that cannot be done DIY or by an indy. As others mentioned above, dealership techs are trained to swap parts until the computer tells them to stop. You get subpar diagnostic capability, plus insanely high labor and parts costs, all pushed on you by a commissioned salesman. Why do people go along with this?

Last edited by PV997; 09-14-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Class5Kayaker (09-15-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 04:53 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

HUGE RIP OFF for that service, I performed this exact service in my apartment garage LOL for $800 including buying all the extensions and universal joints to perform the work. I also changed my coilpacks in this price (oil change, cabin filters, plugs and coilpacks)

Class5Kayaker (09-15-2020)

Quick Reply: $3000 for service, am I getting ripped off?