Sponsored by:

Electrical help needed on 991.2 - USB ports

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 11:47 AM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Electrical help needed on 991.2 - USB ports

Removed the PCM (did a radio delete) on my 991.2 Carrera T. The ONLY downside I have found is that I lost power to the USB in the glove box and the USB under the center armrest. I assume these could be wired directly to some power source other than the PCM. Is this correct? Any suggestions on what would be the easiest way to go?

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by egrossman; 09-14-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 12:22 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,303 Posts

You'll need to drop the 12v to 5v if you're powering them directly. I assume the PCM components were providing this service, so you'll need a buck converter or something to wire to the USB pins or, better yet, remove the USB panel and replace it with a panel-mount 12v USB outlet that can provide higher amperage so your devices can quick-charge.
The following users liked this post:
egrossman (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 06:04 PM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
You'll need to drop the 12v to 5v if you're powering them directly. I assume the PCM components were providing this service, so you'll need a buck converter or something to wire to the USB pins or, better yet, remove the USB panel and replace it with a panel-mount 12v USB outlet that can provide higher amperage so your devices can quick-charge.
Thank you. Car has a smoking package so I assume I could pull power from the cigarette lighter in order to power the armrest usb? Cigarette lighter is most likely always on, would there be any downside to this?
Old 09-14-2020, 06:18 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by egrossman
Thank you. Car has a smoking package so I assume I could pull power from the cigarette lighter in order to power the armrest usb? Cigarette lighter is most likely always on, would there be any downside to this?
You'll have a very minor parasitic drain on an always-powered USB port. Simple enough to pull it off ignition power instead, or go overboard with a relay setup if the cigarette outlet is always powered.

Nothing I'd be worried about on a car driven with any sort of regularity.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:33 PM
egrossman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asellus
You'll have a very minor parasitic drain on an always-powered USB port. Simple enough to pull it off ignition power instead, or go overboard with a relay setup if the cigarette outlet is always powered.

Nothing I'd be worried about on a car driven with any sort of regularity.
I was just trying to minimize pulling interior apart to get to available power source. The cigarette power is just in front of the armrest and in my case I removed the ashtray in favor of a coin tray. Thanks again for your input

Quick Reply: Electrical help needed on 991.2 - USB ports