Sponsored by:

Lowering Springs help (Stuck T55)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 06:54 PM
awfilms
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
yea...not going to happen on the car. You have to remove the strut assembly completely from the car and then compress the springs using a spring compressor. You can rent the spring compressor from an auto parts store for free (refundable deposit). You will also need a strut socket tool like the schwaben unit. Please be careful with the spring compressor-it can be extremely dangerous.
Rear Springs aren't compressed like the front.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:55 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

Here’s a better photo with the four bolts circled
Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

@polobai I do have a spring compressor, the 8MILELAKE one from Amazon

yea...not going to happen on the car. You have to remove the strut assembly completely from the car and then compress the springs using a spring compressor. You can rent the spring compressor from an auto parts store for free (refundable deposit). You will also need a strut socket tool like the schwaben unit. Please be careful with the spring compressor-it can be extremely dangerous.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:10 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,118 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by awfilms
Rear Springs aren't compressed like the front.
Pretty sure they are under alot of pressure and should not be removed without compressing them. Even if they were, it would be safer to have them compressed before removing...I have seen springs go flying from improper removal.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:14 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

So to just so I have my steps correct, rather than trying to fit a spring compressor in there, I should:

1) Place a jack and lift from the bottom, compressing the spring
2) Zip tie the spring in it’s compressed state
3) Lower the jack down
4) Push the assembly inwards towards the exhaust and pull out the entire unit
5) Compress the TechArt spring down, zip tie it, place it back on the shock
6) Reverse the process above to fit the new spring

Pretty sure they are under alot of pressure and should not be removed without compressing them. Even if they were, it would be safer to have them compressed before removing...I have seen springs go flying from improper removal.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:18 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 316 Likes on 157 Posts

How did you zip tie the strut? From the pics above I would use a jack and compress the strut assembly. Use 2-3 175 lb zip ties to hold the spring in place, and then lower the jack slowly. (make sure you have not removed any strut hat bolt on the top) you should then be able to compress the strut from the bottom and that will allow for the assembly to compress so you can lift and pull out?

I've never done this on a 911 but modding all other cars its been the same concept. Also all those bolts you circled should be loose to allow for travel of the entire rear assembly.
The following users liked this post:
LargePuppy (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:20 PM
polobai
Drifting

Dont use zip ties on the factory spring-use the spring compressor you have. You MAY get lucky using zip ties on the techart springs...but they kept breaking for me. I had to compress the spring in a vice then clamp it with metal hose clamps to get it back on the strut. Once on, I removed the clamps (had to cut a couple off). You dont need to jack up the strut to compress the spring, just remove it as a unit and then use the spring compressor off the car.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Rennlist Member

Dont use zip ties on the factory spring-use the spring compressor you have. You MAY get lucky using zip ties on the techart springs...but they kept breaking for me. I had to compress the spring in a vice then clamp it with metal hose clamps to get it back on the strut. Once on, I removed the clamps (had to cut a couple off). You dont need to jack up the strut to compress the spring, just remove it as a unit and then use the spring compressor off the car.
He is trying to get the stock strut out. He can then use a compressor to swap out the spring while its off the car. I dont think a compressor will fit in there while strut is in the car.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 PM
polobai
Drifting

Correct-I believe we are understanding the same thing. What I am saying is that you dont need to compress the strut or spring on the car to remove it. Just undo the bolts and the corresponding arms and pull the strut assembly out as one piece.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:38 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Don’t I need to take pressure off the spring to remove the stock assembly?

Correct-I believe we are understanding the same thing. What I am saying is that you dont need to compress the strut or spring on the car to remove it. Just undo the bolts and the corresponding arms and pull the strut assembly out as one piece.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:54 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Some progress made... but seems like the assembly is caught on the above screws... any hints?

Old 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM
Rennlist Member

Did you loosen the bolts like I mentioned above? Those are normally tightened under "load" so the bushings dont wear prematurely when the car is on the ground once those are lose you will get more play out of the assembly allowing it to drop more.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:24 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Just hit them with some PB Blaster and soaking them... will probably resume work again tomorrow once they soak a bit...

Really appreciate everyone’s help! I’m going to also go on PIWIS and see if there’s any other instructions I should look at, and will share also with the collective

Originally Posted by 911.
Did you loosen the bolts like I mentioned above? Those are normally tightened under "load" so the bushings dont wear prematurely when the car is on the ground once those are lose you will get more play out of the assembly allowing it to drop more.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Don’t I need to take pressure off the spring to remove the stock assembly?

No sir.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:35 PM
polobai
Drifting

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
Some progress made... but seems like the assembly is caught on the above screws... any hints?

Take your foot and press downward on the brake rotor. This will move the lower control arm down and clear the top hat bolts. It will help if you have someone pull the top of the strut out while you push down on the rotor.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs help (Stuck T55)