Sponsored by:

Speeding and Covid-19

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Have a little fun, but don't be stupid is the idea.
Well said.
The following users liked this post:
PJ Cayenne (04-05-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 03:35 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

When driving I always wear a white lab jacket with a hospital id and a stethoscope around my neck.
The following users liked this post:
Zcobra1 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 03:36 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
^^^ Meeting up at The Border? See ya at 8am!

Got my radar detector and Waze primed and ready!
We should organize something soon. I'll stay inside the bubble (my car) but we need to do this to maintain our sanity.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:55 AM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 454 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
We should organize something soon. I'll stay inside the bubble (my car) but we need to do this to maintain our sanity.
Agree. Yesterday I took the 991 out for the first time in weeks. Drove from east end of the 78 down to Coast Hwy exit and back, just to get out for a few.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

From within an article in today's St. Augustine Record:

“We’re using officer discretion,” he said. “We’re being very careful not to over-police. And I hate to use that term, but we don’t want to over-police our society because everyone’s going through tough times right now.

“But we’re not going to let our society get lawless,” Hardwick added later. “Our men and women are still out there conducting proactive patrols, and we’re not going to tolerate a very small percentage of society that doesn’t want to obey the rules.”

One such incident occurred Thursday afternoon when a St. Augustine man was clocked driving down St. Augustine Beach Boulevard at 127 mph (in a 35 mph zone). According to a police report, Brendan Viggiano, 42, nearly struck two pedestrians in a crosswalk, weaved between vehicles, ran a stoplight at A Street, and said, “I’m mad” when an officer stopped him and asked why he was driving nearly 100 miles above the posted speed limit. Viggiano was arrested and charged with reckless driving, and remained jailed Saturday on $500 bail, records show.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:37 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 1,019 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
From within an article in today's St. Augustine Record:

“We’re using officer discretion,” he said. “We’re being very careful not to over-police. And I hate to use that term, but we don’t want to over-police our society because everyone’s going through tough times right now.

“But we’re not going to let our society get lawless,” Hardwick added later. “Our men and women are still out there conducting proactive patrols, and we’re not going to tolerate a very small percentage of society that doesn’t want to obey the rules.”

One such incident occurred Thursday afternoon when a St. Augustine man was clocked driving down St. Augustine Beach Boulevard at 127 mph (in a 35 mph zone). According to a police report, Brendan Viggiano, 42, nearly struck two pedestrians in a crosswalk, weaved between vehicles, ran a stoplight at A Street, and said, “I’m mad” when an officer stopped him and asked why he was driving nearly 100 miles above the posted speed limit. Viggiano was arrested and charged with reckless driving, and remained jailed Saturday on $500 bail, records show.
ha ha ha. you don’t want to be stuck trying to pay bail if court is closed.
Old 04-06-2020, 03:08 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

For gosh sakes, pull over the idiots in a 95 Taurus with a temp tag, bailing wire holding the bumper on while tailgating, doing 100 in heavy traffic and changing 4 lanes at once without a blinker instead of the responsible 911 driver doing 100 but driving safely on an open road (no tailgating, situational awareness, plenty of space on all sides, no forced and dangerous lane changes). I never tailgate and never speed in congested areas, nor on in-town roads. If I drive fast, I do so where I am not a danger to anyone.

There is a reason insuring a 911 is typically very inexpensive: 911 drivers don't get into crashes. Compare those rates to the Honda Civic and Subaru WRX.
The following 2 users liked this post by raidersfan:
450knotOffice (04-06-2020), TurboS_GG (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Get caught speeding, particularly 15 and over, it’s on us.

What we drive and who we are has little bearing on the violation. Still speeding. Hope for a sympathetic officer.

Thing is, if you exceed speed limits by double digits regularly, you’re tempting probability.

Pick your spots to let it out. WAZE and detectors are your friends.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:44 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

I have not seen one person pulled over in the last 2 1/2 - 3 weeks here in Long Island, NY. Also took a road trip to upstate NY to pack up one of my kids dorm rooms a couple of weeks ago, it was 4 hour drive each way, again not one car pulled over.

Maybe it’s because the spread here is insane ... no one wants to be in contact with you or be close to you, gloves and masks are a must if you do come into contact with a person outside of your quarantine.

Old 04-06-2020, 10:26 PM
Magilla Gorilla
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

plenty of Highway Patrol out there now....

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coronavir...patrol-100-mph

Old 04-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Zcobra1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in So Cal., the 15 between San Diego and Inland Empire has been very active, many pulled over....
Old 04-08-2020, 02:27 AM
_BK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
that may a problem in places like Virginia where over 85mph is a Misdemeanor.
Worse than that in VA. 20 mph over the limit or anything 80 mph or over is reckless driving. So 75 in a 55 zone is reckless. 80 in a 65 is reckless. It is crazy. But regardless I drove in VA the other day and found that most people were driving 20+ over, much faster than usual with no cars on the road.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:04 AM
MB99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

highways in Ontario are by far quieter than normal but police are using the opportunity to catch some over eager drivers....hiding out on overpasses running a lot of radar on the highways.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:12 PM
Stoneridger
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's one from Atlanta where traffic is commonly a nightmare:

Sandy Springs Police have ticketed 31 people driving over 100 mph on Ga. 400 in the past two weeks, according to Sgt. Salvador Ortega, public information officer for the department. “That’s a big number (31) for Sandy Springs,” said Ortega.

Since March, traffic has become increasingly sparse on streets and highways as multiple jurisdictions issued shelter-in-place orders due to the coronavirus.

The Georgia Department of Transportation reported the drop in daily commutes has led to a dramatic reduction in traffic on metro roads last month. Traffic volumes on southbound Ga. 400 were down 30-35%, department officials estimated, while average speeds were up.

Sandy Springs Police jurisdiction along Ga. 400 runs from just after Lenox Road (Exit 2) to just before Holcomb Bridge Road (Exit 7).

Ortega said police are not stopping drivers to check to see where they are going.

“We’ve had some people asking on social media if we are stopping drivers to enforce shelter-in-place (rules),” he said. “We are not stopping people just for being out. We are enforcing traffic.”

Old 04-08-2020, 04:03 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts

Careful out there, sadly its not our own private autobahn. Don't want to create more work for the 5-0 who are already on nerves given the circumstances and what they have to do. Remember domestic disputes are up significantly because so many people are stuck at home, some out of work etc.

Matt almost got bagged romping on his eval 992 Turbo S. (21:22 mark of the video in case you only want to hear of his troubles with the CHP, he mentions it earlier in the video as well)

Not to go too far off topic but I loved his review of the 992 Turbo S, he sort of resonates the sentiment I felt when the 991.2 went Carrera models went turbo.

Quick Reply: Speeding and Covid-19