Sponsored by:

Speeding and Covid-19

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 06:00 PM
lamacan
Rennlist Member

Received 404 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I miss my S2000's almost every day. I had an AP1 and an AP2, both were incredible cars! That said, they've held their value too well. I'd be more inclined to go with a well-sorted example of an early Boxster or Cayman for similar cash.
Same. My S2000 is still the most fun car I've ever owned. By far.
The following users liked this post:
kage65 (03-26-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Pin It
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The T is still in storage, but I just went for a rip through the back roads in my 944. What a fun car. Not taking anything away from the 991.2, but a 30 year old 150hp car is a thrill to run through the gears at redline without facing certain jail time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Pin It:
Class5Kayaker (03-26-2020), kage65 (03-26-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 12:42 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Update. Thursday March 26th drove from Dunedin Fl (near Tampa) to Tampa,Atlanta, Chattanooga, Nashville, Paducah,and finally to Chicago. Left at 4:30EDT and arrived at midnight CDT. 1298miles in one day; 19 hours of driving. No land speed records set. Driving - traffic was as if there was no stay in place orders. When I went through Atlanta it seem to be a little less congested than normal. Porsche center was lights out and no activity (which was the same for almost all of the motels I passed). Major problems - road construction has started. I got stuck in a traffic logjam south of Chattanooga that was 5 miles long and ate up one hour of time. Porbably drove through 5 other 1 lane only areas, although these caused no great delays. Beware - the only pit stop areas were gas stations and rest areas and Illinois has closed a few of them. Loved - adaptive cruise and LED lights in 2020 Mercedes GLE - better than the LEDs in my 2016 GTS. Cops - saw a few no problems.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM
yashagrawal
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
that may a problem in places like Virginia where over 85mph is a Misdemeanor.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0e3_story.html

...courts closed, you get arrested and you may just spend time in the gray bar hotel until a judge can be found.
Over 70 mph...unless it has changed recently.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:46 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Yeah, VA has gone through this crazed “tough on speeding” spree. Some counties are outright draconian
Old 03-28-2020, 10:56 PM
Beezupra
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by mtgadbois
1298miles in one day; 19 hours of driving.
Solo? - Impressive. I could never do that without a partner rotating in. Any tips on how you stayed sharp enough for so long?

Old 03-29-2020, 01:45 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
I'm pretty sure it's the lower of 20 over the limit or 80 mph. So 80 in a 70 zone is a misdemeanor. Ludicrous. A lawmaker tried to make it consistent at 20 mph over and didn't get anywhere with it. Particularly drivers from out of state often aren't aware that 10 over will be more than just a simple ticket on the rural interstate, and apparently the counties make too much on crazy fines and fees for them to stop the highway robbery.
rnl (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:55 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 457 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by yashagrawal
here you go, no sense guessing when I can look it up on Westlaw....bottom line...more than 20 mph over speed limit and/or 80 mph in any zone is a misdemeanor ...see below:

VA Code Ann. § 46.2-862
§ 46.2-862. Exceeding speed limit

A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.
Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-862 (West)

and

VA Code Ann. § 46.2-868
§ 46.2-868. Reckless driving; penalties
Currentness
A. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
B. Every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, (i) was driving without a valid operator's license due to a suspension or revocation for a moving violation and, (ii) as the sole and proximate result of his reckless driving, caused the death of another, is guilty of a Class 6 felony.
C. The punishment for every person convicted of reckless driving under the provisions of this article who, when he committed the offense, was in violation of § 46.2-1078.1 shall include a mandatory minimum fine of $250.

Credits

Acts 1989, c. 727; Acts 2004, c. 349; Acts 2013, c. 752; Acts 2013, c. 790.

Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-868 (West)
rwsteelers (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:00 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

you are correct...what is scary is that radar detectors are illegal and it looks like even possession without operation is illegal when the device is hardwired

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded
Currentness
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.
This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.
Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.
B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.
C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.
D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-1079 (West)
Old 03-29-2020, 04:27 PM
adamo
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
Yeah, VA has gone through this crazed “tough on speeding” spree. Some counties are outright draconian
I remember driving throught WV 2-3 years ago, middle of the night, got pulled over doing four(!) mph over the limit. Ticket was $165 plus court costs. They don't mess around over there.

Here in Ontario, we have the 50km/h over the limit law- where you'll need a 55 gallon drum of your favourite lube once they're done with you. Up to a $10,000 fine, roadside suspension, impound, etc.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:40 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pin It
The T is still in storage, but I just went for a rip through the back roads in my 944. What a fun car. Not taking anything away from the 991.2, but a 30 year old 150hp car is a thrill to run through the gears at redline without facing certain jail time.
You’ve got a 944 ... I am jealous ... I would love to drive that car !! Awesome !!

Completely brings back memories!!
Old 03-29-2020, 07:07 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Beezupra
Solo? - Impressive. I could never do that without a partner rotating in. Any tips on how you stayed sharp enough for so long?
Solo yes. My kid was with me and didn't want to drive the Mercedes especially at night. This is the third time I have done a Tampa to Chicago all in one day run. The key to doing it is get out early say 4am. Drive steady - no rushing. Take 10 minute breaks every now and then. Lastly get a cup of coffee about an hour or two before arrival. I don't know what was in the McDonald's coffee but after I got home I didn't go to sleep fr two more hours. Also don't drink the night before. My brother-in-law use to drive straight through from Key West to Chicago. That's another 6 hours, although I'm sure touched into the triple digit range several times.
Beezupra (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:54 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

in Pennsylvania there is no moving radar and you must be exceeding the speed limit by 6 mph before you can cited if picked up by radar, essentially, you have a 10 mph cushion. Only the state cops can use radar and they rarely stop you unless you're going 80+
Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 PM
Mr. Turtles
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

In our area the police are definitely out enforcing speed limits. 15 cars were stopped for going 50 km/h (30mph) over the speed limit. 8 were last Friday alone. That's a ticket for stunt driving which is license suspension and big fines. Stay safe folks.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-pol...iday-1.4871340
Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 432 Likes on 309 Posts
Default I had a "friend" run a remote beltornics detector in va 12 years

If you get pulled turn it off. They dont know what it is.

Originally Posted by rnl
you are correct...what is scary is that radar detectors are illegal and it looks like even possession without operation is illegal when the device is hardwired

§ 46.2-1079. Radar detectors; demerit points not to be awarded
Currentness
A. It shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth when such vehicle is equipped with any device or mechanism, passive or active, to detect or purposefully interfere with or diminish the measurement capabilities of any radar, laser, or other device or mechanism employed by law-enforcement personnel to measure the speed of motor vehicles on the highways of the Commonwealth for law-enforcement purposes. It shall be unlawful to use any such device or mechanism on any such motor vehicle on the highways. It shall be unlawful to sell any such device or mechanism in the Commonwealth. However, provisions of this section shall not apply to any receiver of radio waves utilized for lawful purposes to receive any signal from a frequency lawfully licensed by any state or federal agency.
This section shall not be construed to authorize the forfeiture to the Commonwealth of any such device or mechanism. Any such device or mechanism may be taken by the arresting officer if needed as evidence, and, when no longer needed, shall be returned to the person charged with a violation of this section, or at that person's request, and his expense, mailed to an address specified by him. Any unclaimed devices may be destroyed on court order after six months have elapsed from the final date for filing an appeal.
Except as provided in subsection B of this section, the presence of any such prohibited device or mechanism in or on a motor vehicle on the highways of the Commonwealth shall constitute prima facie evidence of the violation of this section. The Commonwealth need not prove that the device or mechanism in question was in an operative condition or being operated.
B. A person shall not be guilty of a violation of this section when the device or mechanism in question, at the time of the alleged offense, had no power source and was not readily accessible for use by the driver or any passenger in the vehicle.
C. This section shall not apply to motor vehicles owned by the Commonwealth or any political subdivision thereof and used by law-enforcement officers in their official duties, nor to the sale of any such device or mechanism to law-enforcement agencies for use in their official duties.
D. No demerit points shall be awarded by the Commissioner for violations of this section. Any demerit points awarded by the Commissioner prior to July 1, 1992, for any violation of this section shall be rescinded and the driving record of any person awarded demerit points for a violation of this section shall be amended to reflect such rescission.

Va. Code Ann. § 46.2-1079 (West)

Quick Reply: Speeding and Covid-19