Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antigravity Lithium in a 991.1 - Is It Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2020 | 08:50 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Question Antigravity Lithium in a 991.1 - Is It Possible?

I had an Antigravity lithium battery in my 2011 Cayman S. Worked fine, no issues. When I traded it in for my 911.1 Carrera S, I swapped the original battery back into the Cayman, and put the Antigravity battery in my 911.1. Started right up, but after about 5 minutes of driving I started getting all sorts of warning messages, like "Power steering assist limited - driving on is possible", and "ECU check engine - driving on is possible". So I did some research and found out that Porsche has to program the new battery to the car. OK, no problem I thought. I put the old battery back in (all warnings went away), and headed to my Porsche dealership. They tried to program it, but in the end said it's not a Porsche battery, so the car won't accept it. They had 3 different techs try it, and no go. Well, I'm not spending $3500 or whatever for a genuine Porsche Lithium battery. Anybody successfully use an Antigravity in their 991?

Popular Reply

03-10-2020, 12:58 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
I had an Antigravity lithium battery in my 2011 Cayman S. Worked fine, no issues. When I traded it in for my 911.1 Carrera S, I swapped the original battery back into the Cayman, and put the Antigravity battery in my 911.1. Started right up, but after about 5 minutes of driving I started getting all sorts of warning messages, like "Power steering assist limited - driving on is possible", and "ECU check engine - driving on is possible". So I did some research and found out that Porsche has to program the new battery to the car. OK, no problem I thought. I put the old battery back in (all warnings went away), and headed to my Porsche dealership. They tried to program it, but in the end said it's not a Porsche battery, so the car won't accept it. They had 3 different techs try it, and no go. Well, I'm not spending $3500 or whatever for a genuine Porsche Lithium battery. Anybody successfully use an Antigravity in their 991?
Hi Wolp, this is Scott from Antigravity Batteries... I am going to post up a bunch of facts below on our Antigravity Lithium Batteries in 911 or 991.xx Porshes and beyond and go in depth so anyone reading this in the future will understand the key facts. I have posted this information on several other areas of Rennlist forums but often it might be hard to find if you aren't in certain areas or searching for "Antigravity Batteries".

1- First off YES our battery will work in any and all of the 911s including Turbos, GT3s, 991s, 997, 996s and most ANY car on the road. They are direct replacement for Lead/Acid and work fine in 95% if not more of any cars we have tested them in.

2- The Battery CANNOT HARM you car at all. A 12v DC Battery does not PUSH voltage into your Car or have a voltage level that can damage your car since you car is designed to handle voltage the Alternator put out that are HIGHER than the battery can produce. The only potential damage a battery can cause is if were to connect the battery in REVERSE POLARITY... but this is NOT POSSIBLE in 991s and most other Cars because if you try to turn the battery around your Cars Cables will not reach the Battery Terminals to even be able to connect it in reverse. So the battery generally sits at 12v-13v range then when being charged by the car can go up to about 15v.... the cars Alternator is what takes a Lead/Acid or Lithium Battery into the 15v range (max) to charge the battery and your car is designed to handle those voltages and slightly above that the Alternator can put out. So the Alternator of the Car actually puts out more Voltage than the battery ever will. So just want you to rest assured the battery cannot damage the car. The only damages that can occur from a battery is on reverse polarity connections or short circuiting which would be caused by they USER or INSTALLER, not the battery itself.

3- The reasons you most likely saw the flags on your car is because you changed out the Lead/Acid Battery to the Lithium Battery in the Car. So when you take out the Lead/Acid Battery in your car, the car goes to ZERO volts and the cars system notes that... then you put the Antigravity Lithium Battery in your Car you will often see the flags upon the next start up. The reason for the flags is due to the LOW VOLTAGE your car saw when you took out the Lead Battery and it lost all voltage. So upon the next start up all the systems that are dependant on seeing a certain voltage are flagging you. So the cure in most cases is just driving the Car around a bit, then cycling the key. By cycling the key I'm meaning you stop the car after a short drive and take the key out of the ignition and then start the Car again. That sort of re-sets the system and allows the car to realize that is does have a battery in it that is charged and working. Also make sure the terminal connection or firmly tight because the car really wants no variations in reading the voltage fo the battery and it has whats called an Intelligent Battery Sensor (that little black box) on the clamps. Also, check that the Lithium Battery is fully charged when putting it in since those flags are always due to a lower voltage than the car expects.

4- Your Porsche dealers statements are not correct actually..... Porsche Dealers and not going to be supportive of any aftermarket parts unless they are very cool and most aren't. There is no such thing as a "PORSCHE BATTERY" , being that the PORSCHE Lead/Acid Battery that comes with the Car is just are rebranded Battery made by Johnson Controls. For example the Banner battery you find in your Porsche is just a rebranded Battery also called the Walmart Platinum Plus Battery, which is also the same as the Autozone Battery... you can absolutely use any other correctly sized Lead/Acid Battery in your Porsche. just as you can put in our Lithium Battery. But you will always run up against the Porsche Dealer saying another battery than theirs wont' work.

5- You DO NOT need to change the battery setting in your Porsche 991.1 to use a Lithium Battery in it. Yes, there is a Lithium Battery selection in the PIWIS system in your Porsche.... but that setting is intended for sustained high RPM usages on the track so it actually lowers the Alternators charge rate to a Maximum of 13.8v instead of the normal upto 14.8v charging from the normal AGM battery setting. But most of you aren't tracking or racing so you don't need to do that. The fact is our Antigravity Lithium Battery can and does work perfectly fine with any cars normal AGM or Lead/Acid setting.... and we are in well over 1500 to about 2000 Porches we actually know of at this time... So its always frustrating to hear the Porsche dealers say "nothing but a "Porsche" battery will work". But I understand that is just how they run their business and want to keep everything in their domain, but be aware it not accurate.

So in general our battery should work in your car fine... yes there have been rare occasions when someone says they keep getting flags.. but it is really rare after they have just done a drive and made sure the battery is charged.

If you have any question please feel free to post them here or Contact us my email is in the signature below.
Old 03-09-2020 | 10:08 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Mine did this exact thing last month after being out all night in freezing temps for the first time. It happened in a hotel parking lot on way to track day check in so I was little worried. However, the car and battery warmed up and no issues since. Maybe just let it be in the car to get a good charge and give it a day I would suggest.
Old 03-09-2020 | 10:26 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Thanks for that. I went into full panic mode when all the warning lights started going off, so I ripped it out of the car pretty quickly. I'll give it another chance. I have the Antigravity battery tracker and the app now, so I can see what the charging system is doing which should help.
Old 03-09-2020 | 11:57 PM
xford
Advanced

I coded as Lithium using my iCarsoft Scanner POR V2.0 and input Serial Number when prompted from my OEM Original Porsche Standard Battery (I dont think the PCM knows any difference between serial #'s as long its the right sequence of Numbers/Letters). No issues at all and its been over 6 months.

Last edited by xford; 03-10-2020 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2020 | 11:59 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

I've got a Durametric. I wonder if it would do the same thing?
The following users liked this post:
pacman007 (08-01-2020)
Old 03-10-2020 | 12:57 AM
xford
Advanced

I've got a Durametric. I wonder if it would do the same thing?
Not sure on that one - it would need to have Battery Management System (BMS) functionality. The iCarsoft V2.0 is not too pricey - that said others have installed Aniti-gravity Batteries w/o reset and no issues.

See this thread:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=203640
Old 03-10-2020 | 01:51 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Been using one as well. Only issue is my start/stop disabled warning showed up which my dealer said is related to the non-OEM battery. Weird thing was it showed up several weeks after I installed the battery.
Old 03-10-2020 | 10:36 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xford
Great thread! Don't know how I missed it. Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Much appreciated.
Old 03-10-2020 | 10:42 AM
polobai
Drifting

No issues on mine. I did have a problem with the start/stop not functioning with the original rs-30, however I swapped to the h6 sized replacement (40amp) and have had no issues with start/stop or anything else. No programming was done.
Old 03-10-2020 | 10:50 AM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

I've got the H7 40 amp hour.
Old 03-10-2020 | 12:11 PM
polobai
Drifting

Try running it for a day and monitor the voltage while its going. Anything over 13.5 volts should satisfy most of the systems...
Old 03-10-2020 | 12:58 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hi Wolp, this is Scott from Antigravity Batteries... I am going to post up a bunch of facts below on our Antigravity Lithium Batteries in 911 or 991.xx Porshes and beyond and go in depth so anyone reading this in the future will understand the key facts. I have posted this information on several other areas of Rennlist forums but often it might be hard to find if you aren't in certain areas or searching for "Antigravity Batteries".

1- First off YES our battery will work in any and all of the 911s including Turbos, GT3s, 991s, 997, 996s and most ANY car on the road. They are direct replacement for Lead/Acid and work fine in 95% if not more of any cars we have tested them in.

2- The Battery CANNOT HARM you car at all. A 12v DC Battery does not PUSH voltage into your Car or have a voltage level that can damage your car since you car is designed to handle voltage the Alternator put out that are HIGHER than the battery can produce. The only potential damage a battery can cause is if were to connect the battery in REVERSE POLARITY... but this is NOT POSSIBLE in 991s and most other Cars because if you try to turn the battery around your Cars Cables will not reach the Battery Terminals to even be able to connect it in reverse. So the battery generally sits at 12v-13v range then when being charged by the car can go up to about 15v.... the cars Alternator is what takes a Lead/Acid or Lithium Battery into the 15v range (max) to charge the battery and your car is designed to handle those voltages and slightly above that the Alternator can put out. So the Alternator of the Car actually puts out more Voltage than the battery ever will. So just want you to rest assured the battery cannot damage the car. The only damages that can occur from a battery is on reverse polarity connections or short circuiting which would be caused by they USER or INSTALLER, not the battery itself.

3- The reasons you most likely saw the flags on your car is because you changed out the Lead/Acid Battery to the Lithium Battery in the Car. So when you take out the Lead/Acid Battery in your car, the car goes to ZERO volts and the cars system notes that... then you put the Antigravity Lithium Battery in your Car you will often see the flags upon the next start up. The reason for the flags is due to the LOW VOLTAGE your car saw when you took out the Lead Battery and it lost all voltage. So upon the next start up all the systems that are dependant on seeing a certain voltage are flagging you. So the cure in most cases is just driving the Car around a bit, then cycling the key. By cycling the key I'm meaning you stop the car after a short drive and take the key out of the ignition and then start the Car again. That sort of re-sets the system and allows the car to realize that is does have a battery in it that is charged and working. Also make sure the terminal connection or firmly tight because the car really wants no variations in reading the voltage fo the battery and it has whats called an Intelligent Battery Sensor (that little black box) on the clamps. Also, check that the Lithium Battery is fully charged when putting it in since those flags are always due to a lower voltage than the car expects.

4- Your Porsche dealers statements are not correct actually..... Porsche Dealers and not going to be supportive of any aftermarket parts unless they are very cool and most aren't. There is no such thing as a "PORSCHE BATTERY" , being that the PORSCHE Lead/Acid Battery that comes with the Car is just are rebranded Battery made by Johnson Controls. For example the Banner battery you find in your Porsche is just a rebranded Battery also called the Walmart Platinum Plus Battery, which is also the same as the Autozone Battery... you can absolutely use any other correctly sized Lead/Acid Battery in your Porsche. just as you can put in our Lithium Battery. But you will always run up against the Porsche Dealer saying another battery than theirs wont' work.

5- You DO NOT need to change the battery setting in your Porsche 991.1 to use a Lithium Battery in it. Yes, there is a Lithium Battery selection in the PIWIS system in your Porsche.... but that setting is intended for sustained high RPM usages on the track so it actually lowers the Alternators charge rate to a Maximum of 13.8v instead of the normal upto 14.8v charging from the normal AGM battery setting. But most of you aren't tracking or racing so you don't need to do that. The fact is our Antigravity Lithium Battery can and does work perfectly fine with any cars normal AGM or Lead/Acid setting.... and we are in well over 1500 to about 2000 Porches we actually know of at this time... So its always frustrating to hear the Porsche dealers say "nothing but a "Porsche" battery will work". But I understand that is just how they run their business and want to keep everything in their domain, but be aware it not accurate.

So in general our battery should work in your car fine... yes there have been rare occasions when someone says they keep getting flags.. but it is really rare after they have just done a drive and made sure the battery is charged.

If you have any question please feel free to post them here or Contact us my email is in the signature below.
The following 17 users liked this post by Antigravity:
96redLT4 (03-15-2020), beaverlake (03-26-2021), cole_ve (05-06-2020), Curious Cat (03-02-2021), Driveby (07-14-2020), gheminway (03-29-2020), GTS_Ninja (08-25-2020), mikeearly (03-11-2020), Porsche_nuts (03-10-2020), pride355 (02-21-2021), squidge (09-26-2023), Steve Theodore (01-14-2021), Texas Porsche (03-12-2020), the_buch (03-10-2020), Trapperj (03-10-2020), WarriorGT (07-26-2024), Wolpertinger (03-10-2020) and 12 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-10-2020 | 03:54 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Fantastic info! Thanks very much for taking the time to write this all out, Scott! I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-10-2020 | 09:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

My GT3 has one, been in there for 4 months now, with 0 issues. I did plug in my maintainer, as I swapped out the battery so no systems on the car were reset. The only difference I have noticed is it charges a little higher then with the lead/acid battery. But I was told that is due to the cold temps, and will be fine when it's finally above 40deg.
Old 03-10-2020 | 11:59 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Swapped the Antigravity battery back in and went for a drive this afternoon. No codes, no warnings. Go figure! Great to have the support of the forum and the manufacturer to guide the way ahead. Thanks everyone!
The following 2 users liked this post by Wolpertinger:
Steve Theodore (01-14-2021), ZerOG (08-02-2020)

Quick Reply: Antigravity Lithium in a 991.1 - Is It Possible?