Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antigravity Lithium in a 991.1 - Is It Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 12:39 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I have an H6 40Ah Antigravity battery in my 991 turbo. No problems or warnings. But I plugged in a maintainer during the swap. Biggest issue was getting the old 50lb battery out. I raised the battery handles and inserted a broomstick through them. Then got my wife to give me a hand on the other end. Much easier than standing in the trunk and trying to muscle it out alone. If you use a maintainer, be sure to get a lithium ion-specific one after the swap.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:48 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4S
If you use a maintainer, be sure to get a lithium ion-specific one after the swap.
Yup, already have the CTEK unit.

Old 03-11-2020, 02:39 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolpertinger
Swapped the Antigravity battery back in and went for a drive this afternoon. No codes, no warnings. Go figure! Great to have the support of the forum and the manufacturer to guide the way ahead. Thanks everyone!
Oh that is great news.... that is how it should be... keep in touch if any issues.

The only other issues we have see is that some Porsches can charge above 15.5v in the winter.... its hit and miss and only been reported and documented a few times. But we know all modern cars will raise the charging voltage from the alternator during winter to compensate for a Lead/Acid battery needing a higher voltage to charge more effectively when cold... but usually this is only up into the 14.9v range, as in my Car... but on a few Porsches we saw 15.6v which is very high even for a AGM battery. But up in to the 15.2v is ok for our battery and it will not kick in it protections at that point.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Mine's charging between 14.2V-14.5V, sometimes up to 14.9V

Last edited by Wolpertinger; 03-11-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:31 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mine's charging between 14.2V-14.5V, sometimes up to 14.9V
That is fine, and will go back down in warmer weather.... But it also has to do with what loads the Car is requiring, meaning if you have heated seats on, or the A/C, or lights and such the Alternator will push up the voltage then too.
Old 03-15-2020, 12:16 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

An update of some more warning light experiences. Two days ago I took the car out in the morning. It was chilly outside, about 0°C (32°F). All was going well for the first 5 minutes, with charge voltage and battery voltage (I have the battery tracker and app installed) showing 15.0V then I got the "Steering assist limited" warning, and shortly thereafter "Auto Start/Stop Disabled" (which I keep turned off all the time anyway). The charging voltage dropped to 13.9 (maybe lower) and so did the battery tracker app. I drove on normally, and got to my destination 5 minutes later. Started the car up about 10 minutes later, and everything was back to normal for about 5 minutes, then the same sequence repeated. Later in the afternoon, I took the car out again but this time it had warmed up to about 8°C (46°F). No problems at all this time. It does certainly sound like a temperature issue. Thankfully it's spring and things are warming up, but when it turns cold again I'll try that trick of turning on headlights and putting a load on the battery to warm it up a bit before starting to see if that helps.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:27 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

An update of some more warning light experiences. Two days ago I took the car out in the morning. It was chilly outside, about 0°C (32°F). All was going well for the first 5 minutes, with charge voltage and battery voltage (I have the battery tracker and app installed) showing 15.0V then I got the "Steering assist limited" warning, and shortly thereafter "Auto Start/Stop Disabled" (which I keep turned off all the time anyway). The charging voltage dropped to 13.9 (maybe lower) and so did the battery tracker app. I drove on normally, and got to my destination 5 minutes later. Started the car up about 10 minutes later, and everything was back to normal for about 5 minutes, then the same sequence repeated. Later in the afternoon, I took the car out again but this time it had warmed up to about 8°C (46°F). No problems at all this time. It does certainly sound like a temperature issue. Thankfully it's spring and things are warming up, but when it turns cold again I'll try that trick of turning on headlights and putting a load on the battery to warm it up a bit before starting to see if that helps.
Thanks for the in depth info.... I think we know what is happening on this one... In the colder weather you Porsche is jumping into the 15v range and the battery tracker ony tracks the data each 2 mins.... so if you were hitting some15v... there might have been some occurances over 15.2v which will cause the voltage to flicker at our battery terminals since our batteries' protections are kicking in above 15.2v since that is considered high charging... but we found some Porsches do that. Anyway email me at scott@anitgravitybatteries.com.... I want to try something.
Old 03-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Antigravity
Anyway email me at scott@anitgravitybatteries.com.... I want to try something.
Will do!
Old 03-17-2020, 12:46 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Just wanted to share my experience. Was installing CarPlay and a backup camera in my 991. Had the ignition on for some time, and was cycling things to activate the backup camera. Things were going well, then I accidentally hit the defrost button, and the HVAC cam on full blast. Well I hit a button on the radio, and POOF, all the power goes out.

This freaks me out!!!! I'm like crap, there was a wire somewhere that shorted and my car is dead. Crap, I got to tear the whole kit I just installed out, and get the car towed to the dealer. ****, hooking up the jump box is not turning the lights on. I really just blew up my car......

The, I find my little battery fob, click it. Everything goes back to normal. I start the car, go out for a 30min drive, and all is back to normal!! I'm not quite done with the camera, so now I'll hook it up tot he trickle charger.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:48 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Oh yeah, I love the emergency power reserve feature! I used it on my Cayman a few times.
Old 03-29-2020, 12:26 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Just an update. I've been "Self Isolating" in my black 991.1 cocoon a lot lately. I haven't had a warning light show up in over 2 weeks, so things seem to have settled down. Very happy with this battery and how easy it was to lose 40lbs of dead weight. Now if only my body could do the same.
The following users liked this post:
Antigravity (03-30-2020)
Old 04-04-2020, 08:15 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Dang it, my warnings are back. Went out for a drive today. Temperature outside was 10°C/50°F. Everything was fine for the first 15 minutes, then I got the Steering Assist Limited warning, followed shortly thereafter with Auto Start/Stop Disabled, and then Engine Control Fault, along with a check engine light. The car continued to drive normally for the 20 minutes it took me to get home. I wish I could get rid of this, as I really like the battery. Scott and Antigravity - I sent you an e-mail.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:59 PM
F1SML8R
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 85 Posts

Ive had Lithium-Ion batteries in all of my sports cars and have never had any issues. However, is Porsche's voltage monitoring a little over the top that is causing this, or is this just an isolated problem (i.e. bum electronics, bum battery, etc.)? Inquiring minds, want to know...

BTW, I've used Shorai (Lotus), and Braile (AR 4C) in other cars for comparison with no issues. Granted, those cars had pretty simple electronics.

Last edited by F1SML8R; 04-05-2020 at 04:55 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2020, 03:46 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

I think it's definitely something with either my car specifically or Porsche in general. I'm sure It's not the battery itself. The battery is awesome. Antigravity has been in touch with me and are helping me find a solution. They've been great!
Old 04-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

I had the same issue, loved the battery but I daily drive mine year around in CT and when temps got cold, I experienced the same issue as you. Worked with Scott via email, but they ended up taking the battery back and giving me a full refund. I agree with you, it’s the car realizing it’s cold and sending more charging volts to the battery than the monitoring/protection built into the battery will allow, the battery starts to protect itself and then the fault warnings in the car begin.
The following users liked this post:
Need4S (04-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Antigravity Lithium in a 991.1 - Is It Possible?