Sponsored by:

991.1 gt3rs side skirts on narrow body

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 08:11 PM
BotterBuilder
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fiebru1119
Tried to get them on today - massive fail. The 991.2 GT3RS skirts seem not just wider than the 991.1, but also stick into the body further requiring more material be moved from the inside of the skirt.

Also, I tried to use the white clips and move them to the original position and it seemed to work okay, until the back of the skirt where it became obvious that these were made for a wide body 911. I'm going to try again tomorrow, attaching them to the rear FIRST then working the OEM fasteners and adjusting on my way to the front, adding heat gun treatment as I go. As a last resort, I'll use the screw+washer method originally recommended. If it doesn't work out... might have some trimmed 991.2 GT3RS skirts for sale

Well that’s not good. I still haven’t tried to put mine yet because I needed a jack (which I just got). Please let us know what you came across with this & if you found a solution to mount them.

I swore I read someone here who mounted the 991.2 GT3RS skirts to theirs. Maybe using a heat gun can help mold these better to the body… either way, I’m definitely curious on your input!

Last edited by BotterBuilder; 05-26-2023 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 09:46 PM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 103 Posts

Like many others on here, I did the same.

followed all the same steps. I did use my pneumatic angle grinder on a soft blue disc to remove and smooth all the tabs off.

if you want a solution to the “gap” here it is.

I went on Amazon and got this

Trimmed the skirts all down smooth so it would have good even contact on the back. Started at one end with adhesive stuck on. Once you get it started just get the rest pressed on smooth and even with the red tape on still.

Once it’s on, pull the tape to secure it. All applied ready to remove tape

Back on the car, completely eliminated the gap

Very happy with the results now

The following 3 users liked this post by Pappagray:
CarreraFahrer (06-04-2023), jesm (06-05-2023), Viper1000 (04-10-2024)
Old 06-04-2023, 10:11 PM
BotterBuilder
Advanced

@Pappagray Are those the 991.2 GT3RS skirts?
Old 06-05-2023, 09:08 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 245 Likes on 103 Posts

They are the same part # the OP posted, so 991.1
Old 06-07-2023, 10:09 AM
fiebru1119
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well.. going to throw in the towel on this project.

If anyone wants to give it a shot - I have a brand new 991.2 GT3RS side skirt (passenger side) if anyone would like to buy for a discount, as well as a driver's side skirt which has been trimmed and drilled (and manhandled) if anyone wants it for free pickup in Savannah GA, or cover shipping costs. Apparently it's doable with the 991.2 per two other users on this thread, but for the life of me I could not get it to sit flush.

Problem seems to be that the extra width of the 991.2 reduces the flexibility, and because you're looking to increase the radius of the curvature to accommodate a narrow body 991, you end up with some warpage. For reference, I attempted to lodge the skirt to the rear mudflap FIRST, then use 2 to 3 mounting holes (via screw + fender washer method OP described) and then try to line it up on the front using double sided tape. Thankfully I did not drill into the body before deciding to scrap it.

Pics below to illustrate warpage. It does seem like you can force it to sit flush (picture where I am applying pressure from underneath), but the mounting points and structure of the skirt are not conducive to mounting directly to the body... if that makes sense. If anyone who successfully did it using the 991.2 skirts has advice, would love to hear, otherwise may opt for 991.1 or just pony up for the CF ones from Japan.

Old 06-07-2023, 12:54 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

The GT3 RS and Turbo have wider rear fender flares compared to the GT3 and GTS cars. So why are people trying to fit RS side skirts vs regular GT3? Seems the GT3’s will have a better chance of fitting the narrow body cars. Correct me if I’m wrong in this. The different part numbers are listed in this thread.
Old 06-24-2023, 08:26 PM
BotterBuilder
Advanced

Originally Posted by fiebru1119
Well.. going to throw in the towel on this project.

If anyone wants to give it a shot - I have a brand new 991.2 GT3RS side skirt (passenger side) if anyone would like to buy for a discount, as well as a driver's side skirt which has been trimmed and drilled (and manhandled) if anyone wants it for free pickup in Savannah GA, or cover shipping costs. Apparently it's doable with the 991.2 per two other users on this thread, but for the life of me I could not get it to sit flush.

Problem seems to be that the extra width of the 991.2 reduces the flexibility, and because you're looking to increase the radius of the curvature to accommodate a narrow body 991, you end up with some warpage. For reference, I attempted to lodge the skirt to the rear mudflap FIRST, then use 2 to 3 mounting holes (via screw + fender washer method OP described) and then try to line it up on the front using double sided tape. Thankfully I did not drill into the body before deciding to scrap it.

Pics below to illustrate warpage. It does seem like you can force it to sit flush (picture where I am applying pressure from underneath), but the mounting points and structure of the skirt are not conducive to mounting directly to the body... if that makes sense. If anyone who successfully did it using the 991.2 skirts has advice, would love to hear, otherwise may opt for 991.1 or just pony up for the CF ones from Japan.

Just curious if you applied a heat gun to the 'warpage' if it would eventually level itself out. Did you try that by chance?
Old 08-23-2023, 01:46 PM
Mechie3
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
any chance your 997.2 front spoiler adapter kit fits the 991.1 or plans to make one for the 991.1? I've always felt the sport lip looks a bit incomplete.

@CarreraFahrer , I got the ebay lip. It's made by magicdrift, based in CA. You can buy it direct or wait for it to go on sale on Ebay for $30 less. I figured for $100 it was worth a gamble. OEM lip snapped out and the center of the MD lip snapped right in. I used two self tapping screws to secure the bottom of the sides that wrap around (drilled 1/8" pilot hole first). The middle of the lip looks a lot like the PASM lip but continues around for a more complete (imo) look.

https://magicdrift.com/products/12-1...ts-gt3-bumpers

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363403652427
The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 04:43 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

@Mechie3 thanks. I’ve had that lip in my eBay watch list for over a year but was worried it would look too cheap. You’re happy with the quality? Do you have a few photos of it mounted on your car?
Old 08-23-2023, 04:57 PM
Mechie3
8th Gear

@Mechie3 thanks. I’ve had that lip in my eBay watch list for over a year but was worried it would look too cheap. You’re happy with the quality? Do you have a few photos of it mounted on your car?
Its very shiny when new. I've only had it on a couple of weeks so I'm not sure about the overall durability and how long it would stay shiny. What I would recommend is to either sand blast it or use a scotchbrite pad to scuff it up and give it a matte/textured finish to better match the side skits. My problem is now my front looks better and the middle looks bare (thus, why I'm in this thread looking for ideas, lol).

Old 08-23-2023, 05:02 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Thanks. Do you have a photo of the side? I just ordered one.
Old 08-24-2023, 12:37 PM
Mechie3
8th Gear

Thanks. Do you have a photo of the side? I just ordered one.

The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (08-24-2023)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:15 PM
Revsportz
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlitzIS
I had some minor gaps so I bought some of this from Home Depot. Blends in perfectly and I laid painters tape down to get a perfect line. Came back through with it with a razor to clean up the final edges.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Custom-B...SC60/202753923

have you taken out the sides with silicone if so how easy and was there damage on the paint. Thanks
Old 01-05-2024, 09:48 PM
BlitzIS
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Revsportz
have you taken out the sides with silicone if so how easy and was there damage on the paint. Thanks
I haven’t taken them off to see bc I have sold my car. If I were to describe the texture, it’s like a soft rubber that can be easily wiped off by rubbing your finger on it. I don’t think it would damage the paint. After all it’s very similiar to silicone tbh.
Old 01-06-2024, 05:29 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Revsportz
I’ve had mine off, and zero damage. Mine is a GTS which is widebody.

RS Side skirt on GTS

Quick Reply: 991.1 gt3rs side skirts on narrow body