Sponsored by:

Help needed with Comfort Access Memory Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Received 274 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Help needed with Comfort Access Memory Seats

Pretty certain I am simply a dumba$$ because I cannot seem to get these memory seats (14 way) to work as I thought.

- I have comfort access checked off
- I have main driving position in memory 1
- I have memory 2 set with seat fully back to help me get my lanky legs easily out
- After a drive, I turn off the car. I open the door and the seat partially goes back steering wheel goes up.
- I then tap Memory 2, seat goes further back.
- When I enter the car again, seat moves forward a bit due to comfort access I believe, since it is already all the way back.
- I start the car. This is where it used to then put the steering wheel and seat to position 1 automatically. Now it doesn’t. I have to press and hold seat memory 1 to get it to work.

perhaps I am pressing memory 2 before comfort access is done running above. But would that though affect comfort access when I return to the car somehow and start it, and then it wouldn’t automatically revert to Seat position 1? I know I must be missing something obvious here. Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 11-05-2019, 10:58 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts

If you want the seat to be all the way back upon opening the car you need to set that to the key instead of memory 1. Then use memory 1 for your driving position.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:23 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

Thanks. I think this is where my confusion lies.

I put driving position to memory 1. Seat all the way back in memory 2. Then I save both to the key. Perhaps I am missing something?

i find the comfort access back position not far enough back for me, so I was wanting to shut the car off, open the doors then tap memory 2 and seat will go all the way back. Then return, seat is all the way back from before, then start car. It doesn’t though go to Memory 1 at that point. Is there a way around that? I just not sure what you meant by saving to the key and not memory 1 or 2.

I did figure out that if I don’t push memory 2 after opening the door, then when I come back and start the car it does correctly go to memory 1 position automatically. So it seems that tap of memory 2 kills the system, even though I leave the car and then start it up again. It forgets to then go to memory 1 if I tap memory 2 at exit.
Old 11-06-2019, 12:40 AM
ShaunP
Racer

when you hit set and then the key button, that will be the setting the car is in when unlocked, mirrors, seat, steering wheel, hvac.

if you want to have the seat all the way back when opening the car, hit set and then they key button.

move your seat into driving position and hit set mem1.

to exit the car just hit the key button on the seat memory to bring the seat back the furthest back position.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 10:32 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

That will work when exiting. I press the key button and the seat moves all the way back. Similar if I just put that setting into Memory 2. However, again when I come back to the car again, start it, the seat does not return to Memory 1. I thought easy entry would still function?

Last edited by nicholascanada; 11-06-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:44 AM
nicholascanada
Pro

I have read different Porsche manuals and I see the Macan mentioning an option to stop Auto Memory of the Key Option, but nothing in my 911 manual. Not sure if that even is my issue LOL

I really did not think the seats would do me in for the first week of ownership! I obviously do not properly understand the difference between the Memory 1 and 2 vs the Key, and how they relate to Easy Entry. I have had it working to begin with, but once I wanted to somehow have the seat go back all the way when exiting (either manually doing this, pressing memory 2, or pressing the Key), I then run into issues when returning. Either the seat starts to go forward in easy entry when I open the car (I prefer it to stay all the way back where I left it) and then I think Comfort Access works when I start the car.

But it seems any time I want to move the seat back fully to get out, no matter how I do that, I lose the Comfort Access when I return, and the car seat and steering wheel does not automatically revert to Memory 1 position. Apparently I need more post secondary education ;-)
Old 11-06-2019, 12:06 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

Someone on this forum made memory 1 all the way back and linked this to the key. So when they get in, the seat is all the way back. The memory 2 button is the preferred driving position. So once it, he hits memory 2 to be able to drive. When he stops after driving, he hits memory 1 to egress. Seems like a good solution for some of us with long legs.

I use the comfort entry feature and it works well for me.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:18 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Do not start your car before you set your seat, which is why you have to press and hold 1. Here is a thread to help: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1141...provement.html
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 02:24 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Thanks! Still confused though LOL. So the key button on the door, it saves both Memory 1 and 2 to that physical key? So how would saving something else to the 2nd physical key help exactly? I still am confused what the Key button stores then? And if I press it and it goes all the way back, then it is simply recalling Memory2 that I set? And why that memory and not 1? And if I store Memory1 and 2 differently on another physical key, but don't use that one, how would it affect this?

These two statements I am confused with from that other discussion:
I have the same problem- I have set my seat further out on the Key button, so that when i approach the car and unlock it with my key the seat moves further back automatically, then i press preset 2 to move the seat forward to my normal needs.

Keep in mind that one only needs to carry one key after both keys have been stored.

I guess at end of day from what I gather you cannot have the seat automatically go back to Memory 1 after starting the car then, IF you play around with trying to get the seat all the way back via Memory 2 or the Key button upon exit. That move seems to then mess up comfort access upon returning to the car.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

No. you have to use both keys. The key I take with me when I drive is set to how I like the seat/steering wheel. When I open the door I push 2 and the seat moves back, I get in and push 1 but do not close the door or start the car until the final positions are reached. When I stop I open the door and push 2 and when it goes back I get out. If you close the door or start the car you have to push and hold 1 or 2 to get to the end result.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

OK thanks. So when you say use both physical keys, but you only take one with you. What purpose does the other physical key serve in this?

Yes, I did get a workaround to what you mention. I put my driving position to Memory 1, and seat all the way back to Memory 2. I thought saving both of those, along with HVAC and steering wheel etc to the Key button only served the purpose of attaching both of those settings to that physical key. Then when I use that physical key, those two Memory positions are on it and available. And yes I realize I can open the door, tap Memory 2, then tap1 once seated, finish driving, open door and tap Memory 2 and so on, but my hope was the comfort access would kick in once I start the car and move my seat to Memory1. But it appears this is then not possible.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:46 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nicholascanada
OK thanks. So when you say use both physical keys, but you only take one with you. What purpose does the other physical key serve in this?

Yes, I did get a workaround to what you mention. I put my driving position to Memory 1, and seat all the way back to Memory 2. I thought saving both of those, along with HVAC and steering wheel etc to the Key button only served the purpose of attaching both of those settings to that physical key. Then when I use that physical key, those two Memory positions are on it and available. And yes I realize I can open the door, tap Memory 2, then tap1 once seated, finish driving, open door and tap Memory 2 and so on, but my hope was the comfort access would kick in once I start the car and move my seat to Memory1. But it appears this is then not possible.
Correct, you only need to bring one key along when you go for a drive, the one that has your settings. The other key is needed to set the seat all the way back and steering wheel up, that is all. By the way, when you are making settings to each key make sure you only have one key with you at a time!

Comfort Access only moves the seat a couple inches, not nearly enough for me to get in easily. And before someone tells me to lose weight I am 6'2" and 175lbs with a 34" inseam so that is why I need the seat back to get in easily, along with some back problems.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:08 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Thanks. But could you not just set one physical key to Memory 1 driving position, Mem 2 seat all the way back and accomplish this? What is the need then for setting something on the 2nd physical key? I must be missing something! LOL And yes I know oyu would only have one key with you, but again, I do not understand how settings on the other physical key that would not be with you would do anything then when you are using the other physical key.

I agree, I am similar and have arthritis in my knees so they dont bend..so the seat back farther than comfort access goes is what I need. But I like when I start the car, and the seat goes to my driving position, saved in Memory 1, automatically. This is what I seem to have lost when trying to get the seat back upon exit. My comfort access for driving position doesnt work, and I have to press Memory 1, whereas it used to be automatically once I started the car.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM
ShaunP
Racer

You’re way over thinking it - it's really not that hard.

The key button on the door is a 3rd position. This is the default position the seat (and mirrors, hvac, etc) would be in when unlocking the car that is linked to that specific key.

Do exactly what I said above:

Move your seat all the way back. This is the position you want the seat in to exit and enter the car. Hit SET and then they "KEY" button in the door. This will be the position that is stored to your key. This is the position the seat will be in when unlocking the car with that key.

Move your seat up to your desired driving position. Press SET 1 on the door. You will now hold down the 1 button to move your seat into the driving position.

When you want to exit the car and move your seat to all the way back again, hit the KEY button on the door.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:40 PM
nicholascanada
Pro

Ah glory be!!! I finally understand! LOL I thought the KEY button saved Memory 1 and Memory 2 positions to the Physical Key. I did not understand it is the default seat position. Now I see why I kept going in circles with my seat positions, and every enter and exit of my car LOL. Thank you all. :-)

Quick Reply: Help needed with Comfort Access Memory Seats