Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Performance - Product Testers - Performance Air oil Separator for the 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 03:50 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Vektor Performance - Product Testers - Performance Air oil Separator for the 991.2

The factory AOS (Air oil Separators) function well under average conditions, but as performance is enhanced and track time is increased the efficiency of the factory components can be exceeded. This typically results in oil accumulation in the passenger side turbo inlet tube, oil film and accumulation in the intercooler, and accumulation in the intake manifold.

Having charge air void of blow-by oil vapors not only increases the fuel's octane potential, but also assures the passenger side intercooler does not accumulate an oil film that reduces heat exchange efficiency; the intercoolers ability to shed heat. In the long term, oil accumulations can pool to a point where a decent amount can be draw in with the charge air, potentially causing a knock-event or worse.

We've done our own testing for the last 6 months and are looking for a couple of candidates for beta testing that spend more time on track. Guys who are really in tune with their cars, have experience performing your own mod installs, spend regular time at the track, and share our enthusiasm for highly functioning performance products. Oh... and of course own a 991.2

Please reach out via PM or e-mail if you feel you are a good fit as a product tester.

Teaser prototype pic of a 3 AOS snuggle...

Old 11-01-2019, 06:21 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

Yeah, I'm keen. I do the odd track day. With the odd mod.
The following users liked this post:
tgavem (11-18-2020)
Old 11-05-2019, 12:48 PM
bigben0143
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a base 2017 C2. Recent servicing and changing of spark plugs I did notice an accumulation of oil/oil film on the passenger side turbo inlet/intake. I plan on doing 2-3 track days in 2020. At the very least I would be interested in options for improving/reducing this effect. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2019, 06:41 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Yeah, I'm keen. I do the odd track day. With the odd mod.
You mean all the mods I had planned on reaching out to you as well.

Originally Posted by bigben0143
I have a base 2017 C2. Recent servicing and changing of spark plugs I did notice an accumulation of oil/oil film on the passenger side turbo inlet/intake. I plan on doing 2-3 track days in 2020. At the very least I would be interested in options for improving/reducing this effect. Thanks!
That oil accumulation is considered 'normal' in turbo applications. Doesn't mean we have to like it or live with it

How many miles have you got so far and how many track days?

How much accumulation was in the intake? Usually a few drops or so will run out, and if you take a rag and wipe it out, you can really see how much accumulation is on the internal surfaces. You can often see it in the turbo's compressor housing as well when you remove the turbo inlet
Old 11-06-2019, 10:27 AM
bigben0143
Track Day

Yes, it wasn't much oil but a few drops present when the intake was removed as well as the turbo intake. The car is relatively new to me but I plan on doing about 9 track days this next season.
Old 11-06-2019, 01:30 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by bigben0143
Yes, it wasn't much oil but a few drops present when the intake was removed as well as the turbo intake. The car is relatively new to me but I plan on doing about 9 track days this next season.
Did you take any pictures of the oil in the intake? Oil can be seen in the turbo compressor housing inlet often times too.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 PM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Shoot me a message I'm interested in being a tester since I feel I would need it the most with upgraded turbos and I also have your headers..
Old 11-06-2019, 04:59 PM
bigben0143
Track Day

I did not take pictures but I saw a small amount of oil in both places.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:11 PM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

I just did my 2nd oil change at 5K miles and decided to pull the right turbo inlet pipe off to check. There was a bunch of oil in it, enough to pool inside the turbo inlet and inside the pipe. The breather hose connected to the pipe was also full of oil. I have not tracked the car yet but drive it aggressively on occasion.. This looks like a great mod but may be a pain to install..
Also decided to change the MT7 transmission fluid, the trans fluid was black at 5k miles. Will probably be like tar at the recommended 100K+ interval..
Old 11-09-2019, 12:03 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

I have had catch cans on past turbo cars: is this something similar?

By the way, the color of the MT fluid is not an indicator of how long fluid will or will not last.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:30 AM
cosmo1
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

Tks Vektor….
Old 11-09-2019, 10:27 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Shoot me a message I'm interested in being a tester since I feel I would need it the most with upgraded turbos and I also have your headers..
Will do, appreciate the interest!

Originally Posted by D2M
This looks like a great mod but may be a pain to install..
It's not bad. If you have the skillset and tools to do a job like headers or airbox, then you can do this. Wheel removal, remove fender liner panel, crankcase vent line removed from inlet tube, lay in the AOS tubes and couplers, two screws to mount the AOS unit, and a couple zip ties to support some of the plumbing. Fender liner panel goes back in and wheel back on.

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Yes it is.
Old 11-10-2019, 09:05 PM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

When is it going to be available?
Old 11-11-2019, 11:33 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.

By the way, the color of the MT fluid is not an indicator of how long fluid will or will not last.
I think the technical difference is a catch can holds onto the oil and an air oil separator puts the oil back in the sump. Note that 911s have had air oil separators since at least the 996 generation and they are also known to fail. And as people have observed on the 991.2, the OEM one isn't good enough. On a NA car, a bit of oil getting recirced back through the intake is not great (effectively reduces fuel octane), but it's double worse on a turbo car because the oil coats the inside of the intercoolers which reduces their effectiveness.
Old 11-14-2019, 04:31 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I think the technical difference is a catch can holds onto the oil and an air oil separator puts the oil back in the sump. Note that 911s have had air oil separators since at least the 996 generation and they are also known to fail. And as people have observed on the 991.2, the OEM one isn't good enough. On a NA car, a bit of oil getting recirced back through the intake is not great (effectively reduces fuel octane), but it's double worse on a turbo car because the oil coats the inside of the intercoolers which reduces their effectiveness.
^ All true.

Our setup is a little unconventional because it's an AOS unit with a drain to a remote catch can (that's easy to access and drain).

On another note, I came across a couple more units I had set aside (and forgot about). So we have some more opportunities for testers. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Quick Reply: Vektor Performance - Product Testers - Performance Air oil Separator for the 991.2