Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vektor Performance - Product Testers - Performance Air oil Separator for the 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 04:34 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I think the technical difference is a catch can holds onto the oil and an air oil separator puts the oil back in the sump. Note that 911s have had air oil separators since at least the 996 generation and they are also known to fail. And as people have observed on the 991.2, the OEM one isn't good enough. On a NA car, a bit of oil getting recirced back through the intake is not great (effectively reduces fuel octane), but it's double worse on a turbo car because the oil coats the inside of the intercoolers which reduces their effectiveness.
Originally Posted by D2M
When is it going to be available?
This is going to depend on beta testing feedback. If there is some redesign involved and further testing it may be some time. If testing comes back as we hope, it may be pretty quick.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:56 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmo1
Tks Vektor….
Did you test it yet?
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 PM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

This pic if from 2000 spirited street miles. This has become a standard procedure for me to clean this every few K miles.. It seems like there is a nasty cycle going, as oil gets ingested from the crank vent hose through the turbo and pumped up to the intercooler and back into the intake stream via the bypass valve.

Old 03-07-2020, 12:00 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,359 Posts

Would a catch can help?
Old 03-07-2020, 12:07 AM
D2M
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 39 Posts

A plug and play catch can would be great, or a secondary separator would help %100..
Old 03-07-2020, 08:00 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

We're working on improving the packaging, but our testing and feedback from beta testers has been very positive for addressing this issue. We're close
Old 04-22-2020, 06:14 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,264 Likes on 669 Posts

I am taking my car to the shop today to have it fitted tomorrow. Then (Restrictions permitting) will get down to the dyno to see if it added any power.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Will the air/oil separator add any power? I didnt think it would (I have one of these on my car as I was a tester for the product)-I am very happy with it thus far!
Old 04-22-2020, 07:19 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Will the air/oil separator add any power? I didnt think it would (I have one of these on my car as I was a tester for the product)-I am very happy with it thus far!
It’s a question i wish to answer. My Son in law is a tuner and owns a dyno. So my car has been dynoed many times. So we will notice even a fairly slight improvement. I wouldn't be expecting much, but every bit helps at the track.

i wanted to do the Tial pipes at the same time, but timing is not going to work. So getting these fitted up and some rear Endless ME20 brake pads. Just getting the car prepped for when the tracks open again.

i did the COBB PDK tune and love it.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (04-22-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 07:22 PM
polobai
Drifting

Nice-looking forward to your results! How much power did your car last dyno at?
Old 04-22-2020, 07:31 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Nice-looking forward to your results! How much power did your car last dyno at?
I have never said. It will cause arguements.
American dyno’s read 15% higher than ours. For decades i have followed and accepted this.

Across many cars, platforms and forums.

i’ll put it to you this way . I am still to my knowledge, the only person with 991.2 on stock turbos (or upgraded for that matter) to run a 10.8 second quarter mile at the drag strip.

No one else has posted a 10 second run from the strip. I run 50/50 mix of E85. I am highly modded.

If my car was on an American dyno it would show 588hp at the wheels. On our dyno it is 500hp at the wheels. A real 500hp 10 second car.

I guess a better way to compare is, I roll race a friends stock GT2-RS. I have beaten him everytime and it pisses him off. Roll race a GT2-RS, if you win, then you have similar power.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:56 PM
polobai
Drifting

Very nice-I am sure with that et you are pulling at least 130mph in the quarter. I agree on the dyno argument-should be used as a tuning tool but the real test is in the real world as you state. Looking forward to your results in testing the air oil separator-here is min seen after about 1000 miles

Nope, didn’t wipe any oil off for this pic

Old 04-22-2020, 09:34 PM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Guys, glad to see the units are performing well!

I wouldn't anticipate any additional power. Maybe on an engine dyno where the level of precision is higher, but not on a dyno. We saw no increase on our dyno. In theory you potentially increase octane (or more like reduce a reduction in octane) but no one that I know of has any way to detect that except for measuring power extremely precisely. Although, over time you're likely to make more power than the same car that does not have an AOS installed because over time (months or years) oil in the intake tract starts to coat the inside of the intercooler reducing its heat exchange efficiency. That may be measurable on a chassis dyno.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 AM
Ecosse911
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 132 Posts

Are these units now available? I don’t see anything on your website.

Originally Posted by VektorPerformance
Guys, glad to see the units are performing well!

I wouldn't anticipate any additional power. Maybe on an engine dyno where the level of precision is higher, but not on a dyno. We saw no increase on our dyno. In theory you potentially increase octane (or more like reduce a reduction in octane) but no one that I know of has any way to detect that except for measuring power extremely precisely. Although, over time you're likely to make more power than the same car that does not have an AOS installed because over time (months or years) oil in the intake tract starts to coat the inside of the intercooler reducing its heat exchange efficiency. That may be measurable on a chassis dyno.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:57 AM
VektorPerformance
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ecosse911
Are these units now available? I don’t see anything on your website.
We are very close. I made some changes to the plumbing to simplify and make the install even simpler. The AOS unit itself is very similar to the Alpha and Beta test units we have out there so I don't expect any changes in performance. We don't offer products that have not gone through everything we can think of to throw at it. Even if the changes are subtle you truly don't know the effects until properly field tested.

Quick Reply: Vektor Performance - Product Testers - Performance Air oil Separator for the 991.2