Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera T vs. Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 09:46 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
Everyone cares about 0-60 times and other performance numbers. I know I do. For most 911 owners, it's about the overall package. Blowing someone off the line is fun but at the end of the day, it means little to me. What YOU enjoy is what matters. Some are thoroughly happy in their Dodge, Chevy, Ford, Porsche, etc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?!
Having said that, a PDK T with a proper tune is quicker than a base Vette. If your ego is bigger, why not just buy a 911TTS or a GTR, slap a tune on it and call it a day...that is until a electric motor vehicle comes and blows everyone away. I remember watching a show where a 1970s Toyota Corolla (I think) was putting every super car to shame off the line. Come to find out, it was a heavily modified electric vehicle hooked up to lots of car batteries.
I bet 0-60 times are rarely mentioned in Porsche communities once real world testing of the C8's become more prominent. The new song will quickly change to singing how the 911 was never a 0-60 car haha.

Old 10-08-2019, 10:44 AM
737gdog
Burning Brakes

Received 572 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
H is only 3.6 sec 0-60 versus 3.1 s for a stock GTS or S with X51 PowerKit. My guess is a stock T PDK can stay with or beat a Hellcat from 0 to 60...

Not according to tests I have seen. Quickest 0-60 I have seen with a T is 3.9. The point being, there are cars quicker in a straight line than my T that cost less. 0-60 time had nothing to do with my decision to purchase a T.

Last edited by 737gdog; 10-08-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:08 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Who in the world cares about 0-60 at this point in history? In a sports car no less? It is an absolutely horrible performance metric that causes manufactures to gear cars like crap with super short 1st gear ratios and an absurdly long 2nd gear so the car will hit 60 in second.

News flash: As far as sports cars go in modern history over the past 10 years. Any 991.2 is fast enough from a stop light to be entertaining. Pick your flavor. They all are nice.

The Carrera T is lacking a little top end compared to the S and GTS but the combination of low gears plus small turbo's make for a crisper throttle experience with less lag. Especially on manual trans cars.

In the past 10 years I have never driven more blah cars that were "fast". They are more like playing a video game than driving. Speed is a commodity at this point. Pick your brand.

Driver feedback and feel is rare. Hence the value for me in the Carrera T and similar cars.
The following 6 users liked this post by ClassJ:
Pin It (10-08-2019), Rich_Jenkins (10-17-2019), S S (10-08-2019), Sarawnty (10-08-2019), seis-speed (10-08-2019), vaiddyesa (10-17-2019) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,279 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Who in the world cares about 0-60 at this point in history? In a sports car no less? It is an absolutely horrible performance metric that causes manufactures to gear cars like crap with super short 1st gear ratios and an absurdly long 2nd gear so the car will hit 60 in second.

News flash: As far as sports cars go in modern history over the past 10 years. Any 991.2 is fast enough from a stop light to be entertaining. Pick your flavor. They all are nice.

The Carrera T is lacking a little top end compared to the S and GTS but the combination of low gears plus small turbo's make for a crisper throttle experience with less lag. Especially on manual trans cars.

In the past 10 years I have never driven more blah cars that were "fast". They are more like playing a video game than driving. Speed is a commodity at this point. Pick your brand.

Driver feedback and feel is rare. Hence the value for me in the Carrera T and similar cars.
I agree with this ClassJ. I owned a 2008 TT cab and in a straight line, the car had a ton of power but lacked the fun handling characteristics of rear-wheel powered Porsches. After hitting the throttle hard a couple of times, and a few speeding tickets later, my love for the "hyper-space" 0-60 experience began to wane. I traded it in for a 987.2 Boxster Spyder, and eventually found my way into the Carrera T. The T's gearing and decent power make it super fun to drive in the mountains but it did lack the top end on the track I was recently on. OK, but that's not what's it's made for. So those with a love of 0-60, knock yourselves out! Pick up a Corvette or a more powerful Porsche, or gasp, a Tesla. But for me, put me in a T or a Gen-1 Spyder and show me some open roads up in the hills and down in the canyons and I am a happy man. Long live low power, light-weight, read/mid-engined sports cars with a notchy MT.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-11-2019 at 10:33 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Zeus993:
BlackOptic (10-16-2019), Guaji (10-08-2019), S S (10-08-2019), seis-speed (10-11-2019)
Old 10-08-2019, 12:32 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I bet 0-60 times are rarely mentioned in Porsche communities once real world testing of the C8's become more prominent. The new song will quickly change to singing how the 911 was never a 0-60 car haha.

Thats because it is going to destroy everything...
I just saw a 992 in person, I was not impressed. Gasp,

I might be getting a c8 convertible in a few years.

Just kidding, as Im on the list for a 718 cayman GT4!!!!! Now thats a drivers car . My 991.2 S is a place holder until I get that car in Miami blue with sport chrono and 918 seats.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:32 AM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

it's really not a worthy discussion, S vs. T, as in you can debate all day all night and get nowhere. They're both designed and created by Porsche specifically for their purpose and segment. If you want performance and have the $, then by all means go for the more expensive model. T is an 'unique' offering where it's better than the base and comes with a few specialties. I was deciding between Base, T, and M4 (all manual) and ended up with the T. M4 was comfy, and manual felt natural for me (less stalls, and can shift smooth like butter without difficulty), but it also felt numb. However having had driven BMWs for the last 15 years, I've had my doubts on BMW quality, they're getting worse every year.

I chose the T vs the base because T came with extra options (e.g. LWG, RAS, SSK) and that it's a 'limited' run. If you want to spend more money, by all means get the more $ car since it was made and designed for that reason. I was not looking for performance (just strictly manual fun) since I have a Tesla as a daily and not even the GT2 RS is quick enough (instant torque is intoxicating)....

just get a car that you enjoy driving and can live/afford with, YOLO

btw love that new GT4 though local dealers here in socal are asking $20k above MSRP....but that helped with my decision
Old 10-16-2019, 10:19 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by liam1234
On the track, standard T brake is the weak part of the car. The pedal becomes soft very fast and I had to push it deeper and deeper. Even on the street, I felt that I need to push brake pedal a bit harder on T to get the same brake force on the S. M3.

Nobody needs to be concerned with brakes on the T. Plenty of bite and never soft with correct brake fluid. The new corvette comes with 4 piston brakes as well. Finished a day at COTA and COTA is know to be hard on brakes and never an issue with soft brakes.

Last edited by tgavem; 10-16-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:42 AM
Zuzax
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was set on getting a T but the only T's at my dealership were highly optioned manuals with the Carbon Fiber buckets. I wanted a mt but my wife hated the buckets so I "settled" for a C4 GTS MT with RAS and 18 way seats (thanks Hon). I think the CF buckets are a turnoff for many people. Or at least their wives.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:29 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 888 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Zuzax
I was set on getting a T but the only T's at my dealership were highly optioned manuals with the Carbon Fiber buckets. I wanted a mt but my wife hated the buckets so I "settled" for a C4 GTS MT with RAS and 18 way seats (thanks Hon). I think the CF buckets are a turnoff for many people. Or at least their wives.
Not my wife. Although I was convinced she'd hate them. She loves the way they feel, once in them. And she always appreciates the assist getting in and out of them. Honestly some of the most comfortable car seats I've had, and I spend hours in them at a time. Beyond the cool factor, they just work for me

The following users liked this post:
spyderbret (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:25 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by S S
Not my wife. Although I was convinced she'd hate them. She loves the way they feel, once in them. And she always appreciates the assist getting in and out of them. Honestly some of the most comfortable car seats I've had, and I spend hours in them at a time. Beyond the cool factor, they just work for me

The S is a MUCH better car. There: S-fans rejoice! You have the better car! End. Of. Story. And. Stop. With. These. Threads. Already. Geesh.

That said... Every time my wife gets in my T, she (unsolicited) says how she loves the LWBS. She has no idea she is supposed to hate them. It makes the outing (to a winery no doubt) feel more special. (She would hate to be on a track.)
The following users liked this post:
S S (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:20 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 184 Posts

The one issue with LWB that people don't realize until they already have them...virtually NO access to the rear seat area. No reclining buckets, unless its a ROW car.
I love them, have them in my GT3, but no one above age 4 could fit back there and you will never clean the rear glass. 1st world problems!
For a daily driven Carrera T, the 4/18 ways make more sense.
Old 10-18-2019, 09:27 AM
W///
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I agree with this ClassJ. I owned a 2008 TT cab and in a straight line, the car had a ton of power but lacked the fun handling characteristics of rear-wheel powered Porsches. After hitting the throttle hard a couple of times, and a few speeding tickets later, my love for the "hyper-space" 0-60 experience began to wane. I traded it in for a 987.2 Boxster Spyder, and eventually found my way into the Carrera T. The T's gearing and decent power make it super fun to drive in the mountains but it did lack the top end on the track I was recently on. OK, but that's not what's it's made for. So those with a love of 0-60, knock yourselves out! Pick up a Corvette or a more powerful Porsche, or gasp, a Tesla. But for me, put me in a T or a Gen-1 Spyder and show me some open roads up in the hills and down in the canyons and I am a happy man. Long live low power, light-weight, read/mid-engined sports cars with a notchy MT.
First post on Rennlist!

Long time BMW M fanatic but also always been a Porsche fan. Never had the opportunity to own one, but that has been my life long dream.

I currently own an E92 M3, E36 M3 and Z4M Roadster (all manuals) and have been itching to get either a 991.1 C2S, 991.2 CT or 981 Boxster Spyder. I think I'd be happy with any of them! The only thing I've narrowed it down to is that it has to be a manual and RWD. Had the opportunity to drive a CT on Monday and really enjoyed it! I thought it had more than enough power to be fun
The following 2 users liked this post by W///:
BlackOptic (10-18-2019), K C (10-18-2019)
Old 12-30-2023, 10:18 PM
NewBPorsche
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

So I am as confused as can be. I got an allocation for a Carrera T here in Florida. I have never owned a Porsche and am newbie as humanly possible. By the time the dealer made me option out the car the MSRP was over 150k which was their minimum. Others ask me why not get an s for that price? I had to put in things that defeat the whole point of the T like Rear wheel steering etc. I just don't know that I am doing the right thing here. Seems super strange to me. I would hate to not like the first one! Not to mention the dealer is also making me buy a watch which is likely 90% profit to them so they dont have to markup. The whole process thus far has been horrible, unfriendly, sketchy and really upsetting! Happy to share my build spec. I just feel dirty!
Old 12-30-2023, 10:27 PM
MingusDew
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,236 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by NewBPorsche
So I am as confused as can be. I got an allocation for a Carrera T here in Florida. I have never owned a Porsche and am newbie as humanly possible. By the time the dealer made me option out the car the MSRP was over 150k which was their minimum. Others ask me why not get an s for that price? I had to put in things that defeat the whole point of the T like Rear wheel steering etc. I just don't know that I am doing the right thing here. Seems super strange to me. I would hate to not like the first one! Not to mention the dealer is also making me buy a watch which is likely 90% profit to them so they dont have to markup. The whole process thus far has been horrible, unfriendly, sketchy and really upsetting! Happy to share my build spec. I just feel dirty!
You might want to try the 992 subforum. Those guys will love to chat about build spec until the cows come home.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1230...ra-t-club.html

Also, what was the question?
Old 12-30-2023, 10:30 PM
NewBPorsche
Track Day

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess the question boils down to, should I be dealing a an overloaded T instead of an S? Seems counter productive

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera T vs. Carrera S