Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2019, 03:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Great choice! I see that you have a Macan as well. I "went" through the Macan experience twice before letting go and getting into a Golf. Personally, I enjoy the Golf over the Macan. Maybe it's the size... What're your thoughts? What's your "go to" car?
A base macan with the 4 cylinder and sport pack feels very much like a large, tall Golf R.

Convince me I'm wrong.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bkrantz
I agree, and prefer the 2-doors for looks. To me, the 4-door models do look "busier" and a bit more like an economy car.

One practical thing in favor of 2-doors: for extra tall people like me, with the driver seat all the way back, the B-pillar on 4-door cars is even with my head, and interferes with my side view.
I'm the opposite. I find with the 2 doors, the doors look VERY long, and the rear quarter panel looks too big.

To me, the 4 door has looked right since the MkV. Now MkIV and back I lean toward 2 door.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-16-2019)
Old 09-16-2019, 03:16 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lucky991
Not here to sh*t on anyone’s parade by any means but gonna be incendiary for a minute. I don’t know how you guys do it with these hot hatches and >5s 0-60 cars in general as DD’s. I have a BMW 128i which I used to love dearly and thanks to the 991 I’m ready to part with her as soon as finances allow.

I get the argument that driving a lesser performance capable car makes you appreciate my 991 but said another way every time I am not driving my 991 and I have this feeling you describe I would put it another way: it makes me not only miss my 991 but hate myself for not being able to drive the 991! I’m only going to miss her this winter because it’ll be my first winter with her and I’m starting to chicken out on wanting to expose her to salt because I love her so much and want to keep her forever.

So I’m actively considering a used Audi S4 (supercharged models only), BMW 340i x-drive or straight out M3/M4. All have decent cargo space (and get far less bogged down performance wise when loaded with people and cargo), manual transmission, AWD for the winter and great performance numbers. Sure you could get them for about the price of a new GTI and less than a new Golf R. Yet I’m sure I’d sacrifice any of them to salt over the 991 any day (they’re far more replaceable) while hating myself less for not driving the 991 due to their closer capabilities to it.

To each their own but its just like John Cleese says “My only goal in life now is to never be cold again!” (paraphrased). Well my only goal in life now besides that is to never be slow again!

I live in a very, very busy part of the US. There is very limited areas where I could push the GTI to full 100% much less my 911. I never wanted for performance 99% of the time.

I'm very sad I got rid of mine. But my commute was just too long and the car took too much out of me daily. Otherwise I loved it. More tellingly, my wife misses it too, and she didn't drive it much or generally care about cars unless they get under her skin, like her Cayenne.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:58 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Getting “curious” about Golf GTI or R as well as an additional vehicle - what ‘s the closest site to a Rennlist forum equivalent for the VW marquee (or even that specializes in Golfs)? -Dom
Old 10-19-2019, 04:05 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 58 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Getting “curious” about Golf GTI or R as well as an additional vehicle - what ‘s the closest site to a Rennlist forum equivalent for the VW marquee (or even that specializes in Golfs)? -Dom
All the VW owners I know frequent https://www.vwvortex.com/
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucky991:
Big Swole (10-19-2019), evilfij (10-21-2019), koala (10-19-2019)
Old 10-19-2019, 04:13 PM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I frequent https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/
Old 10-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Dgags
Racer

Received 227 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Golf R is a really cool car.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:50 AM
tubernator
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol, just found this thread. We just picked up a 2017 GTI Autobahn with super low miles that I am going to use as airport/DD this winter when temps keep the 991.2 in the garage. 1st born is 15, and needs something to learn on (not gonna be my Cab or the wife’s Tesla X ). And I didn’t want to spring for winter wheel set, so...

The GTI is an absolute blast to drive around town. Quick, nimble, can fit a ridiculous amount of cargo with the seats flat. On recent 800 mile road trip, avg 34 MPG!

May be a good thing I didn’t discover these cars 20 years ago or I would have been a serial tuner. IMO a fabulous compliment to the 911 owner, and super practical to boot. Congrats OP, hope you are loving yours as much as we are. BTW, ours is Night Blue, and the daughter has named her car-to-be “Toothless”

Big Swole (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:25 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Really love my 2019 Golf R (it's my second one) and we've also got a 2017 GTI (daughter's daily).

The 2020 Golf launch just revealed that they're aligned with Porsche's strategy of more touchscreen/less buttons. It's even got a nubbin like the 992... I really am not a fan of having a button for park, I like pushing the shifter forward to park - I'm just old and quite frankly I'm just wired that way.

So... I'm going to swing by the dealer this weekend to see about a swap for a newer GTI (or maybe even another R and hand-me-down my current one).

The nearby dealer's online inventory lists 8 new GTIs and 9 new Golf Rs - really? Are these things not moving off the lot? It's hard to beat a 6 year warranty.
MOWE (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
The nearby dealer's online inventory lists 8 new GTIs and 9 new Golf Rs - really? Are these things not moving off the lot? It's hard to beat a 6 year warranty.
Well, based on random sampling of my neighbors, lots of americans see a golf and think 'Corolla". Not everyone sees the value in a $40,000 4-banger golf R. There are many options in that price range. Also GTIs used to be a mid 20s bargain but now a decently equipped one is $35K! My local dealer has a lot of Rs on the lot too. Don't get me wrong, I love both (my current beater is an Egolf and I've owned 3 GTIs) but even I would struggle with shelling out $40K for an R, when I can buy a used 991 or say, a barely used CPO S4 for 50K (with IMO a much nicer motor). I'd pay that in a heartbeat if they put the 5cyl from the RS (TTRS or RS3) in the Golf R.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:51 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg D.
Well, based on random sampling of my neighbors, lots of americans see a golf and think 'Corolla". Not everyone sees the value in a $40,000 4-banger golf R. There are many options in that price range. Also GTIs used to be a mid 20s bargain but now a decently equipped one is $35K! My local dealer has a lot of Rs on the lot too. Don't get me wrong, I love both (my current beater is an Egolf and I've owned 3 GTIs) but even I would struggle with shelling out $40K for an R, when I can buy a used 991 or say, a barely used CPO S4 for 50K (with IMO a much nicer motor). I'd pay that in a heartbeat if they put the 5cyl from the RS (TTRS or RS3) in the Golf R.
Now you're talkin' - although I'd wave goodbye to the Golf if I could get the Audi hatchback RS3 instead of the sportback...
Old 10-25-2019, 01:12 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Now you're talkin' - although I'd wave goodbye to the Golf if I could get the Audi hatchback RS3 instead of the sportback...
You mean "...if I could get the Audi RS3 Sportback instead of the (silly) sedan".
Old 10-28-2019, 12:22 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackOptic
You mean "...if I could get the Audi RS3 Sportback instead of the (silly) sedan".
Yes - that's what I meant. Thanks!

Here's the funny thing. I really did talk to the VW dealer this weekend but the above comments about that inline-5 had me thinking... so I went by the Audi dealership earlier today and test drove an RS3 silly sedan. I liked it so I traded the GTI for it. We'll see how it goes - I've never owned an Audi before. This thing is kind of stripped down compared to other Audis I've ridden in, no power seats even - should make a fine DD.
(Still have the Golf R to fill the hatchback void).
BlackOptic (10-28-2019)
Old 12-27-2019, 02:56 PM
rxtrom
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mesh, How is your GTI "S" ownership going?
Old 01-30-2020, 08:32 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 167 Posts

One of my favorite things about my Golf R is how it looks so ordinary. It’s the antithesis to my Club Blue 911.
In this iPhone pic, the little VW does its best to look badass.

seis-speed (01-31-2020)

Quick Reply: VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)