Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 11:39 PM
BlackOptic
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 222 Posts

I’m enjoying this thread.

I learned to drive on a VW Golf. Mk2. We had a Mk3 later... then Passat. I thought I’d scored when I got an A4. Then progressed through some Audi’s before getting the 911.

But lately, as my kids are all driving, I’ve been eyeing an AWD Golf Sportwagen. For $21k and 6 yr warrantee... seems like a no-brainer. I have to have AWD because of where I live, so i keep checking out the Golf R. But no need to pay 17/19 yo insurance rates for that upgrade.
The following users liked this post:
evilfij (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 01:11 AM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 539 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I only have two complaints about my (daughter's) GTI and my Golf R.

The turning radius is surprisingly large - yeah I'm spoiled by RAS on the 911, but the Golf has a much larger turning radius than I'd expect and I find it annoying in tight parking lots.

They don't have seat memory and I'm really picky about having my seat exactly in the right place. This wouldn't normally be a problem except that my wife chooses to drive the Golf R about 50% of the time that she steps out for a quick errand - and she has a Macan Turbo. That's saying something about the Golf, huh?

One last item, not a complaint because it is what it is, but the 911 really eliminates a lot of turbo lag and the VW 2.0L turbo is much more typical. If you are accustomed to Porsche throttle response (excluding NA engines obviously) you'll really notice the GTI/Golf R lag.
It's funny that you mention the turning radius. I have a parking spot at work that requires a full U-turn to leave.. I can do it in my 911 but not in my Golf R.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:18 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

E-golf. Problem solved.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:25 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Not here to sh*t on anyone’s parade by any means but gonna be incendiary for a minute. I don’t know how you guys do it with these hot hatches and >5s 0-60 cars in general as DD’s. I have a BMW 128i which I used to love dearly and thanks to the 991 I’m ready to part with her as soon as finances allow.

I get the argument that driving a lesser performance capable car makes you appreciate my 991 but said another way every time I am not driving my 991 and I have this feeling you describe I would put it another way: it makes me not only miss my 991 but hate myself for not being able to drive the 991! I’m only going to miss her this winter because it’ll be my first winter with her and I’m starting to chicken out on wanting to expose her to salt because I love her so much and want to keep her forever.

So I’m actively considering a used Audi S4 (supercharged models only), BMW 340i x-drive or straight out M3/M4. All have decent cargo space (and get far less bogged down performance wise when loaded with people and cargo), manual transmission, AWD for the winter and great performance numbers. Sure you could get them for about the price of a new GTI and less than a new Golf R. Yet I’m sure I’d sacrifice any of them to salt over the 991 any day (they’re far more replaceable) while hating myself less for not driving the 991 due to their closer capabilities to it.

To each their own but its just like John Cleese says “My only goal in life now is to never be cold again!” (paraphrased). Well my only goal in life now besides that is to never be slow again!

Old 09-03-2019, 10:07 AM
gatorfast
Pro

Received 459 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky991
Not here to sh*t on anyone’s parade by any means but gonna be incendiary for a minute. I don’t know how you guys do it with these hot hatches and >5s 0-60 cars in general as DD’s. I have a BMW 128i which I used to love dearly and thanks to the 991 I’m ready to part with her as soon as finances allow.

I get the argument that driving a lesser performance capable car makes you appreciate my 991 but said another way every time I am not driving my 991 and I have this feeling you describe I would put it another way: it makes me not only miss my 991 but hate myself for not being able to drive the 991! I’m only going to miss her this winter because it’ll be my first winter with her and I’m starting to chicken out on wanting to expose her to salt because I love her so much and want to keep her forever.

So I’m actively considering a used Audi S4 (supercharged models only), BMW 340i x-drive or straight out M3/M4. All have decent cargo space (and get far less bogged down performance wise when loaded with people and cargo), manual transmission, AWD for the winter and great performance numbers. Sure you could get them for about the price of a new GTI and less than a new Golf R. Yet I’m sure I’d sacrifice any of them to salt over the 991 any day (they’re far more replaceable) while hating myself less for not driving the 991 due to their closer capabilities to it.

To each their own but its just like John Cleese says “My only goal in life now is to never be cold again!” (paraphrased). Well my only goal in life now besides that is to never be slow again!

Its not just about speed. The GTI is light, nimble, and has a great quality interior. Not to mention it is a fraction of the price of the other cars you mentioned. It handles great and is a really fun car to drive. If you haven’t done so, I suggest actually driving one and perhaps your opinion will change.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by gatorfast
Its not just about speed. The GTI is light, nimble, and has a great quality interior. Not to mention it is a fraction of the price of the other cars you mentioned. It handles great and is a really fun car to drive. If you haven’t done so, I suggest actually driving one and perhaps your opinion will change.
I’ve driven the Golf R, didn’t like the turbo power delivery, clutch or suspension (bit soft). A tune might change my mind though! I know it is heavier than the GTI and that makes a difference. I did love the interior and features though! Super well equipped; better than the 991.1 except the LCD gauge cluster.

I’m not sh*tting on the GTI; I really apologize if it came off that way. If I wanted a hatch I’d take it over any of its competitors. I’m just too spoiled by the 991.1.

I’d love to drive a tuned one with a really buttoned down aftermarket suspension, bushings, etc. It did feel like a go kart in the right hands when I rode passenger in my friends GTI.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:42 AM
SharkB8
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I’d love to drive a tuned one with a really buttoned down aftermarket suspension, bushings, etc. It did feel like a go kart in the right hands when I rode passenger in my friends GTI.
You’ll be “more broke” if you do. Ha!
Honestly, a tuned GTI/R, properly sorted suspension (rear sway really helps) is another world, and gives up very little to the 911/S4. We routinely went head to head with my wife’s S5 (before she got her E-Panny) and the GTI held court, consistently smoking the S5. Also, while not awd, handling was on par in the twisties...the GTI is an amazing platform to tinker with...and I could easily fit my upright bass...whereas in the other cars...not a chance.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:56 PM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I’ve driven the Golf R, didn’t like the turbo power delivery, clutch or suspension (bit soft). A tune might change my mind though! I know it is heavier than the GTI and that makes a difference. I did love the interior and features though! Super well equipped; better than the 991.1 except the LCD gauge cluster.

I’m not sh*tting on the GTI; I really apologize if it came off that way. If I wanted a hatch I’d take it over any of its competitors. I’m just too spoiled by the 991.1.

Driven in normal I can see that. Driven in race mode or the DSG in Sport it completely changes the dynamics.

Steering included.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 139 Posts

Not here to sh*t on anyone’s parade by any means but gonna be incendiary for a minute.
For me, I do not drive an $80K car like I drive a $25K car. Something like a GTI is practical enough, fast enough, fun enough but cheap enough that I don't worry about leaving it in a parking lot next to a car with giant doors, or getting rear ended by a moron on an electric scooter, or basically worry about anything at all related to the car.

I like having both. There are times (potholes, heavy traffic, street parking near a homeless dude) when I *don't* want to be in my 991. While I was in between beater leases, I drove the 991 daily for several months and it doesn't work for me everyday. I say that even though I daily drove a 911SC for 15 years (and a 356C for 18 months), so it depends on your commute/kids/roads... There's no right or wrong here.

I will be incendiary too and say that if I could only own one car (God forbid!) , I'd have a GTI over the 991 - just more practical overall. Doesn't mean I don't love both.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts

OP here. Welcome to the PORGTI club! Someone needs to design a logo. Enjoy your (other) silver ride. Looks sweet!
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:08 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
OP here. Welcome to the PORGTI club! Someone needs to design a logo. Enjoy your (other) silver ride. Looks sweet!

Thanks brother!

Every veh. I have is Silver. lol TTS, Ram MegaCab, and the GTI
Old 09-04-2019, 09:30 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

I’m with you...When I’m driving my other cars, the more I appreciate my 911. Regarding 5+ second 0-60 cars, a stage I tuned Golf R/Audi S3 can outdo a base 911 from 0-60+. Go stage II and it will embarrass the base 911 in a straight line and give a 991.2 GTS run for its money. Just sayin’. Bimmer M models are beasts as well but none of them are as finely refined as the 911, overall.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:52 AM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I’m with you...When I’m driving my other cars, the more I appreciate my 911. Regarding 5+ second 0-60 cars, a stage I tuned Golf R/Audi S3 can outdo a base 911 from 0-60+. Go stage II and it will embarrass the base 911 in a straight line and give a 991.2 GTS run for its money. Just sayin’. Bimmer M models are beasts as well but none of them are as finely refined as the 911, overall.
A stage 2 R should trap around 112-118 mph. A 991.2 GTS traps at 125mph. Not sure it would embarrass it.
Old 09-05-2019, 02:02 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 297 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by MOWE
A stage 2 R should trap around 112-118 mph. A 991.2 GTS traps at 125mph. Not sure it would embarrass it.
Never said it would embarrass a 991.2 GTS. It would, however, give it a run for its money. JMHO. I’ll know for sure if/when I tune my S3 and run it against my “stage II ready” 991.2 GTS.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by jbirdie6
+1 for the SE. The Fender Audio system is fantastic, IMO. Leather interior is top notch. I haven't had any issues with leaks/rattles with the moonroof in mine. It's a fantastic car but it doesn't take any of my love away from my 911T.

I'm trading mine in for a 2020 Macan S...makes me sick thinking about it, to be honest. Ordered the Macan on May 31 and taking PEC Atlanta delivery on 9/25. Starting to get sad knowing that I'll be moving on from the GTI for now.
Did you list you GTI in the marketplace? Often times the dealer can be the intermediary for the transaction (so you still get the tax break if that’s why you traded instead of sold privately)...

Quick Reply: VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)