Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 11:10 AM
MOWE
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Modified they can be turned into mini beasts. A stage 2 R which is basically a tune and downpipe should run neck and neck and a stock 991.2 Carrera.

If you buy a manual then you need to upgrade the clutch if you modify. The DSG is stout and does not have any issues. If I were modifying then the DSG is the way to go IMO.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:44 AM
Nm2far
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I’ve had a Mk6 GTI Autobahn since 11’ as my daily. I’ll second what others say about the titan cloth and pets and sweat - mine is starting to smell like my gym gear even with shampoos however it does wear really well. Get the extended warranty - mine has paid for itself several times over with an ECU that had to be replaced and a recent transmission oil leak.

I have an APR stage 2 tune and it makes ~ what an R does but FWD only. More suspension limited at this point. I agree with storage same as small SUV. I put snow tires on in the winter and it’s a mountain goat in the snow. My next daily will be another GTI when I wear this one out.

It’s confirmed that VWis done with the 6/72K warranty for model ur 2020 and beyond however upcoming Mk8 model is supposed to be closer to R horsepower. We have 2 VW’s on top of the 911 and it is interesting to note some of the engineering commonalities. A new R is no 911 but it probably has 2/3 the capabilities, most of the quality at 1/3 the price and you won’t sweat where you park it 🤔
Old 09-01-2019, 01:14 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hmmm... I really DIG 2-door Golfs. Their lines aren't all chopped up with the 4-doors. But each to their own, right?

P.s. I noticed your TTS is a 2-door. Now imagine it with 4-doors, right? I REST MY CASE!

Two totally different cars, BUT there are times I wished my TTS had back doors.
Trying to put stuff back there and / or vacuum it out is a PITA!!

lol
The following users liked this post:
Zeus993 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 03:00 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I only have two complaints about my (daughter's) GTI and my Golf R.

The turning radius is surprisingly large - yeah I'm spoiled by RAS on the 911, but the Golf has a much larger turning radius than I'd expect and I find it annoying in tight parking lots.

They don't have seat memory and I'm really picky about having my seat exactly in the right place. This wouldn't normally be a problem except that my wife chooses to drive the Golf R about 50% of the time that she steps out for a quick errand - and she has a Macan Turbo. That's saying something about the Golf, huh?

One last item, not a complaint because it is what it is, but the 911 really eliminates a lot of turbo lag and the VW 2.0L turbo is much more typical. If you are accustomed to Porsche throttle response (excluding NA engines obviously) you'll really notice the GTI/Golf R lag.
Old 09-01-2019, 03:52 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Nm2far
I...A new R is no 911 but it probably has 2/3 the capabilities, most of the quality at 1/3 the price and you won’t sweat where you park it 🤔
Amen to that!

The following 2 users liked this post by Leader:
Big Swole (09-01-2019), MeshGearFox (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 04:04 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Great choice! I see that you have a Macan as well. I "went" through the Macan experience twice before letting go and getting into a Golf. Personally, I enjoy the Golf over the Macan. Maybe it's the size... What're your thoughts? What's your "go to" car?
"GTI + $40k" > Macan

I seemed to be alone in that thought, so I am glad at least one other RL'er agreed

https://rennlist.com/forums/new-engl...l#post15956126
MeshGearFox (09-01-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 09:52 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts

Baby brother comes home.

And I gotta say, for 1/5 the cost of a C2S (literally), this little puppy is a whole lot of fun. Still under 100 miles after a weekend zipping around the neighborhood.

For a base model "S," it seems to have everything I want or need. The multi-media interface and base stereo are shockingly decent, even good. The plaid cloth seats make me smile every time I open the door.

And while the headlights aren't LEDs, the taillights and daytime running lights are. As my wife said on a drive around the block last night, "well, they aren't your Porsche headlights, but then this isn't your Porsche."

I'm delighted with it. And again, I'm amused by how much heart there is for the GTI and Golf R among a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts.

Instead of the classic "My other car is Porsche" license plate frame, do they make one that says "My other car is a GTI?"

Leader (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 PM
Drtsk
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MeshGearFox
Baby brother comes home.

And I gotta say, for 1/5 the cost of a C2S (literally), this little puppy is a whole lot of fun. Still under 100 miles after a weekend zipping around the neighborhood.

For a base model "S," it seems to have everything I want or need. The multi-media interface and base stereo are shockingly decent, even good. The plaid cloth seats make me smile every time I open the door.

And while the headlights aren't LEDs, the taillights and daytime running lights are. As my wife said on a drive around the block last night, "well, they aren't your Porsche headlights, but then this isn't your Porsche."

I'm delighted with it. And again, I'm amused by how much heart there is for the GTI and Golf R among a bunch of Porsche enthusiasts.

Instead of the classic "My other car is Porsche" license plate frame, do they make one that says "My other car is a GTI?"

Speaking of license plate frame, here is mine.
My 991.1 C4 GTS is really a knockoff Volkswagen GTI
The following 3 users liked this post by Drtsk:
Big Swole (09-02-2019), BlackOptic (10-06-2020), Needsdecaf (09-16-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 10:48 PM
MeshGearFox
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 37 Posts

That's awesome.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:56 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,064 Likes on 639 Posts

Hmmm... I really DIG 2-door Golfs. Their lines aren't all chopped up with the 4-doors. But each to their own, right?

P.s. I noticed your TTS is a 2-door. Now imagine it with 4-doors, right? I REST MY CASE!
I agree, and prefer the 2-doors for looks. To me, the 4-door models do look "busier" and a bit more like an economy car.

One practical thing in favor of 2-doors: for extra tall people like me, with the driver seat all the way back, the B-pillar on 4-door cars is even with my head, and interferes with my side view.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:21 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 165 Posts

Great choice! I see that you have a Macan as well. I "went" through the Macan experience twice before letting go and getting into a Golf. Personally, I enjoy the Golf over the Macan. Maybe it's the size... What're your thoughts? What's your "go to" car?
The Golf R is my DD. The Macan is my wife’s DD, but I drive it quite a bit, too.
They are obviously very different cars. Actually love ‘em both. Golf R is more fun, though.

Last edited by Leader; 09-04-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:54 AM
madrambler
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a MK6 GTI (with Clark Plaid seats) as my DD. My 991.1 C2S is a non-commute car. Traffic in my area is awful and there are lots of terrible drivers. I just do not have fun commuting to work in it driving 10 to 40MPH for two hours each day.

I've modded the GTI a bit to get the handling and ride comfort balance I was looking for:

17" Enkei Fujin wheels
Michelin P4S
Endless MX-72 front pads
Godrich SS lines
APR Stage 1
SuperPro Front Control Arm Bushings
TyrolSport DeadSet Rigid Subframe Collar Kit
Eibach Anti-roll bars (F 26mm, R 23mm)
Energy Suspension poly roll bar bushings
Unibrace UB
TyrolSport Hatch Brace Stage 2
Koni Sport Shocks

Getting a proper alignment helped as well. It is a fun and fast little car.

The C2S is obviously a different beast operating at a higher level. Amazing car. Yet the GTI is a car I just do not want to sell. It is too fun.
Old 09-02-2019, 05:17 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Anyone have a golf sportwagen 4motion?

1.8T, 6MT looks like they can be had for $21k with discounts (probably less as time goes on as they were 19k at the end of last year) or basically half the cost of a golf R.

I really like the sportwagen form (I had an 11 TDI) both appearance and more significantly with the rear seat bases removed and the rear seats folded it gives a very useful cargo area. I think I can give up the power compared to a GTI because I want 4 wheel drive.

Is the 1.8T a fairly decent engine? More concerned about reliability over anything else.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:05 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Having GTI and 991.2 doesn't make much sense in my mind. I'd always get in the 911... why'd you want to drive the GTI instead? Its got small back seats and a small trunk... hatch back so can fit a large box

In summary... just drive the 911.
Zeus993 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:32 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

WELL, not to thread highjack, but Thanks to the OP, I'm a good bit more BROKE today!! lol

This thread pushed me over the edge!! lol

Found a 2015 GTI SE 6 speed manual CPO car in Silver with 58K miles like I've always wanted and just purchased it a few hours ago. Love the fact that it has the remainder of the power train Plus the 2 year CPO bumper to bumper.

Only got to test drive it for a short time and then drive it home, then had to come to work to start making my money back. lol

The following 2 users liked this post by Big Swole:
Drtsk (09-02-2019), MOWE (09-02-2019)

Quick Reply: VW GTI advice (in context of 991.2 ownership)