Another Introduction, Some Questions and Maybe Answers

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 716 Likes on 479 Posts
Default Another Introduction, Some Questions and Maybe Answers

I just bought a 2017 CPO 991.2 Carrera.

Rather than another “Hey look at my new car” thread, I thought I would post a few questions I had, and the answers I found on Rennlist. My hope is that this might help another newcomer enjoy their new 991.2.

SKIP DOWN PAST THE TEXT WALL TO THE Q&As.

But first, an introduction.

To buy the 911, I traded in my my 981 Cayman S with its screamer NA six. But with 54K miles and being almost six years old, it was getting long in the tooth, despite trouble-free ownership. Lot of fun to drive though.

The Carrera is a one owner car with 19K miles. We flew up to JFK and bought it from Porsche of South Shore in Long Island NY last month. The original purchaser specced it very close to my ideal: 7MT and GT Silver with black standard interior.

It has other features/options that I could have done without (sunroof, memory, quad pipes in black, Porsche crest embossed on the seat headrests (seriously?) and colored emblem center wheel caps. (I do like the quad pipes in black. Many a time I used Flitz to polish the silver tips on my Cayman after the weekly wash. I am still polishing the black ones on the 911, but at least the carbon doesn’t show so much lol).

The Lane Change Assist has proven pretty useful. I was surprised how much that helps in traffic. Same for the seat ventilation. That is particularly helpful in the hot weather we have in FL. The Bose system sounds great, but, it’s a car. But I actually – shock horror – turn it off and listen to the engine most of the time.

He (I assume a he) also apparently powder coated the calipers red.

In no way would I represent this car is an S. I owned a Cayman S, and I get what that little “S” on the boot lid means. At this point, it is what it is. I don’t have plans to change the color for now.

The owner also removed the rear badging. I can’t know, obviously, what the intent was; I can say it is not something, really, I would have done. I had the missing emblems replaced at my dealer last week; and as far as I’m concerned ,it looks vastly better with the P O R S C H E and the 911 and Carrera badges.

The biggest pleasant surprise in the option list has been Sports Chrono. I’d heard about this rev matching feature, and with 40+ years of driving a stick, I was very intrigued. It is preturnaturally accurate. And extremely weird, to have the car rev match perfectly, and I mean perfectly, every single downshift. It is wayyy more fun that I would have thought.

Overall, through, what is astonishing is how well this car does literally everything. The sightlines are good. The mpg is fantastic (we got 32 mpg on the way from NY to Florida on the return trip). The acceleration, braking and roadholding are phenomenal, and way above my talent level. There is no worry about speed bumps. The ergonomics just work. The storage areas allow enough room for normal everyday runs to the grocery store (ok; maybe not Costco, but still). The Tech is impressive, even though as a luddite, I don’t use a lot of it. I drive it every day to work. It puts a huge grin on my face.

I should have bought one of these 25 years ago.

So with that, here are my “991.2 Questions and Maybe Answers.” As I find more, I will add to this thread.

– Rich

How do I turn off Auto Start Stop?

I’ve come to the conclusion that for MY 2017 991.2, this just isn’t possible. I based this on reading this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7511...tart+stop+code

I’d love to be proved wrong, but that is what it looks like, if you have a 991.2. You are just SOL if you don’t like the *** feature (I don’t, not one bit). I’ve set up my “Individual” button the way I like it (Sport+PASM) and pretty much reflexively turn it on now after I start the car.

How do I get my AC settings to “stay” on when I restart the car?

This was surprisingly tricky. Turns out they don’t explain this very well in the manual. It’s on page 196, on my online edition. Basically, if you have the memory package, you have three buttons, 1, 2 and Key, to “store” things.

Button 1 and 2 store seat, steering wheel, and mirror position. But the “Key” button stores that, AND your “ergonomic and comfort” settings. What this means is your AC settings. Here in Florida I spent the better part of a week figuring this out. And it is hot here.

How do you download iTunes library to your Jukebox?

I followed the steps in this thread. It works fairly well.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8447...y-for-pcm.html

Should I use a gas additive?

I asked for some advice in this useful thread. Mostly what I think is the most common answer is put in some Techroline the tank before the next oil change. And use quality gas, like Chevon or Shell V power.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1086...n-engines.html
The following users liked this post:
S S (10-09-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:20 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Congrats, beautiful build. gotta love GT silver. enjoy!
Rich_Jenkins (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:38 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Congrats - I do wish the LCA made a sound like my merc when you turn on the signal and there is a car in the blind spot. It expects you to be looking at the light. Which you should

1 - auto start on/off, Mine has button to turn it off, also you can program individual mode to have it off and its always off in sport and sport plus
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...-Stop-Function

2 - most people complain why the AC comes on when you start the car, mine is always on, in sync/auto. I turn it off by lowering the fan speed if I am just in the car in the garaging without the engine running. It comes on at ACC on, before ignition. I don't have memory package - because door pulls

3 - Juke box this video may help, but you basically need the files in mp3 on a USB
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...arrera/pcm/291

4 - Gas - I would just use 93 oct, sometimes I use Shell if available, it has more detergents in it. Known to keep things clean. Don't worry too much about that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cyberbug:
Rich_Jenkins (06-27-2019), TigerMtn (09-08-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 05:14 PM
evio
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 47 Posts

FYI I have a 2017 targa that I picked up in pec Atlanta and the LCADoes have a beep or noise. The guy at pec turned it off for me because he said it would go off too much. I do not know how it is done but we all have it.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:12 PM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
FYI I have a 2017 targa that I picked up in pec Atlanta and the LCADoes have a beep or noise. The guy at pec turned it off for me because he said it would go off too much. I do not know how it is done but we all have it.
I dont think that was LCA

As there is no mention of beep(sound) amd LCA together in any 911 literature
Old 06-27-2019, 11:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
I ordered my car and it does not have LCA - maybe he was talking about the proximity warning?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:57 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

The red calipers look great. i have a base w/ painted calipers as well, not sure trying to pose as an S, just think it looks nice painted
Old 07-17-2019, 07:02 PM
MBR993
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Your 911 looks like mine (except I have red seats)! Nice to see another daily driven GT silver one in TB. I’ll look out for you!
Rich_Jenkins (07-17-2019)
Old 09-08-2019, 08:29 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Is there an online shop manual for the car?

I've not located one like say a Bentley manual I used to use for my E46. The closest (and actually pretty interesting) is this pdf posted here by a member with a detailed overview of all the changes introduced in the model year Generation II 991:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1145...l#post16051467
Old 10-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Is there a parts manual for the 991.2?

Member @whiteducktail posted a thread with a link to a parts manual, here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1044...ts-manual.html
Old 10-09-2019, 11:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,447 Likes on 2,357 Posts

In regards to the Auto Start/Stop you will have to get the aftermarket controller from T-Design: https://t-design9.com/memory_module.html
Old 02-16-2020, 07:44 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Is there a good thread on Rennlist for a DIY Oil and Filter Change?

I recently did the oil and filter myself on my 991.2 using this great thread by member @bkrantz :

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9892...ght=oil+change

Thread includes extremely useful pictures and a step by step description.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:56 AM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

So, as regards my oil change, it proceeded smoothly and did not have any problems with the procedure.

The only wrinkle I found was that, on my car only it seems, there was an issue where the intake runner upper was in the way of easily extracting the filter head / filter assembly. I did manage to get is unscrewed with the 36mm socket, but it was very difficult to manouver around the intake. A picture is below. You can see the upper right of the intake just in the way of the filter head.

Based on input in the oil change thread, my car seems to be the only one where folks have had this clearance issue. I've been ruminating on different possibilities on why this is so.

1) Something is not installed correctly.

I looked again recently at the intake runner assembly with a bright flashlight. The lower end is latched securely and secured to the engine below the runner. There do not appear to be any gaps or otherwise in the intake. The upper, removable part of the runner assembly fits well, and allows the flexible duct to sit correctly when the "deck lid" is closed, such that the air is sealed around the rectangular rubber surround.

The oil filter housing is rigidly mounted on the engine, and secured with no adjustment possible.

So, conclusion for me is that everything is in the "right" place.

2) Something is "different" about my car.

I find this much more likely. My car is an early '17 build. Conjecture, but say the engineers at Porsche had not gotten around to looking at the oil filter head and possibly fouling with the intake runner at the time the car was introduced, and early production models had this issue? You can see in the picture there is a less than professional looking divot in the upper right of the intake runner. Could it be that there is an ECN or service bulletin for a in field modification to take a dremel and "make" enough space for the head? All the while pending a running production change to incorporate a redesigned runner assembly part that fixed the problem?

Going with option 2, then I can see at the next DIY oil change, getting in there and relieving "a bit" more of the assembly to allow another couple mm of clearance to jockey the filter head assy slightly easier out of the way and in/out.

That being the case, I would need to ensure there is not too much gap opened on the intake, which is just above the actual engine filters.

Something to ponder.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:16 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,197 Likes on 720 Posts

There is nothing different about your car. It is the same on mine as I am sure the same on all others. It is not an easy task to remove the oil filter cover as there is just not much room. After about 7 oil changes, it is still difficult to remove the filter cap, so it does get easier the more you do it. Just have to keep playing, coaxing, and cursing it out at every oil change.
The following 2 users liked this post by Porsche_nuts:
CSK 911 C4S (02-16-2020), Rich_Jenkins (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:29 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 848 Likes on 426 Posts

Same here. Like Porsche_nuts you have to give it a good wiggle wiggle and once you do it a few times it becomes easier.

The work shop manual notes a few words of caution around putting something below and around the assembly to catch any oil drips.

I shove a few blue towels down and around and even one over the air intake. Sometimes it can be a bit messy.

BTW I see in the picture you are missing a rubber grommet.
Rich_Jenkins (02-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Another Introduction, Some Questions and Maybe Answers