Sponsored by:

Thinking of doing a bad thing...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 04:26 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
here is my argument against the Tesla and I am not saying that they are bad cars (except for the fact that they have horrible fit and finish inside and out...and dont tell me about JD power blah blah blah because this is from what I personally saw in 2 of my co-workers model 3s, and I can post picts if ya wanna see how bad it is)

I am all about the B/C ratio and the actual usefulness of the car.

I have an EV myself that I drive everyday to and from work as a commuter. My commute is 75 miles a day RT so an EV make sense to me (esp with the HOV sticker we get here in CA) my Honda Clarity EV lease is $170 a mos with ZERO down 20k miles a year for a 3 year lease. That's after State and Edison rebate of $2450 total. which buys down the "due at signing" of $1490 and $199 per mos plus tax. This is a std Honda factory offer anyone can get (they might have changed it slightly for 2019...not sure)
Gas would have cost me at least $250-$300 a mos just on my commute (with either the 991s or the C7 A6 3.0T) not to mention miles and wear and tear....so $170 is a no brainer. Yes its only got a 89 miles range (rated....which you only get about 70 miles typically....at full freeway speed of 75-80mph) but for buzzing around town back and forth within the LA basin....I have no issues with it, EV chargers are everywhere and there is always the option of DC fast charge at Walmart locations if needed. Yes there are still some limitation which some places might not have EV chargers at all etc. but I would say it does 90% of my in town commute.

Now If i am traveling out of town, say to Vegas or up to Central Coast or to Mammoth for a ski trip.....or even up to Big bear lake, destination of over 200+ miles......Well the Tesla wont work neither because you would have to stop and charge. Sure you can get the 300 mile range that can get you their and find a place to charge etc. but that's a hassle because those are usually more rural areas and EV charger are not everywhere in those areas. Also not to mention it will be a lot harder to do a road trip from LA to Oregon with a Tesla (it CAN be done....but a hassle having to stop at least twice and sit for 30mins each stop)

So with that said, personally an EV for me is a "commuter" car that should make "dollar sense" because at this point that's all they are good for with the range limitation for long distance outside the urban area. It doesnt matter if the range of the EV is 89 miles or 300 miles if you are using it as a commuter....and once you go beyond 200 miles.....even the 300 mile range EV is a hassle..... Yes 200 miles is always gonna be better than 89 miles range....but the average daily commute is about 40 miles for people in the US so 89 miles is plenty (my commuter is above the average). Of course if money aint a thing for you, then sure buy the Tesla, and I would get the Model S and not the 3 (way better quality from what I have seen) as a commuter :-)

and if you are talking about "driving pleasure" .....well anyone who says the Tesla is a GREAT performance car have no idea WTH they are talking about........sure they can hit 0-60 in a few ticks.....but how well can a 4100lbs handle? sure low CG etc etc. but we all know one of the main ingredient to a good sports car is light weight....and the Tesla is a HOG!
Yes, this is exactly my point. You get an EV for other than performance/sport/driving pleasure reasons. Hence, like I said, I would never consider Tesla as a Porsche substitute.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
here is my argument against the Tesla and I am not saying that they are bad cars (except for the fact that they have horrible fit and finish inside and out...and dont tell me about JD power blah blah blah because this is from what I personally saw in 2 of my co-workers model 3s, and I can post picts if ya wanna see how bad it is)

and if you are talking about "driving pleasure" .....well anyone who says the Tesla is a GREAT performance car have no idea WHAT they are talking about........sure they can hit 0-60 in a few ticks.....but how well can a 4100lbs handle? sure low CG etc etc. but we all know one of the main ingredient to a good sports car is light weight....and the Tesla is a HOG!
I just bought a Model 3 Performance, and I'm having quite a different experience. I also own a 2016 GT3RS also, and I have Hwy 33 a few miles from me, and I know that road well driving the RS up there. So we are not talking about Tesla fan-boy syndrome...

I never even considered a Tesla... I was Test driving the last 2 months prior to ordering it.... drove BMW M3, M5, Ford Edge, Explorer, Cadillac CTS-V, and others. I was not sure what I wanted, I just wanted a Sporty but smooth riding Commuter Car that could drive the 10 miles of twisties I have before I get to my Hwy to drive another 1.5 hours to my offices. I have a Chevy Silverado Diesel Truck and it was just a bit much driving 2 hours + to work, then back in traffic.

Anyway, test drove the Model 3 and S on a whim. Both were very fast, but the self driving sold me and just BLEW AWAY other cars in terms of functionality. As far as getting my MOdel 3... it's perfectly fine... no weird misaligned stuff, no screw ups in the paint. There is nothing that out of the ordinary at all. I think the Car has an ugly front end, but it's ok looking from most angles....and I actually love the basic interior, and it seats are very comfortable and interior is clean and looks good.

Now about performance, weight and handling... if anyone has NOT driven one of these things personally, then you should not be claiming weight, ill handling or whatever. The thing with all its weight gets to 70 MPH faster than most all non-Super Cars. That means demoralizing BMWs, Audis, Porsches, Mustangs and such. That is NOTHING to scoff at. The car, which was not designed to have stiff suspension it still exceptionally flat around corners and handles VERY WELL in the twisties, I know because I drive them most days to and from work, and also do it for fun.

So people can chime in about weight and ill handling, but I have a GT3RS and know my roads well and this is a very good handling small sedan, and the 4 wheel drive makes it very stable and planted. I don't feel any lumbering or body roll or boat type handling AT ALL. Its all tight, spritely, and JUMPS out of corners. It not meant to be a Porsche... If it had some stiffer suspension, it would take the handling up a notch higher and that would mean a dangerously good Car. This little ugly bug has so much torque down low that its silly... just super ridiculous... it throws you back in the seat and I mean that LITERALLY.... again if you haven't driven it... then you cannot say much. Just go drive one. It will do that torque thrust anytime up to 40 MPH... just knocks you back and accelerates... coming out of corners or you can roll it on coming out of a sweeper then peg it on the exit and be flying. Its quite fun.

So I'm not Tesla fan boy(might be becoming one actually, ugg)., but I am seriously digging this car. Its just very relaxing to get in and go without touching anything. Its the Biggest sleeper car EVER... So the chest-puffing claims of "you haven't driven a real car if you think a Tesla is good" , or "one trick pony" are nonsense. The car is an excellent performer by most any standard, and seriously blows the doors of much more expensive cars.... though yes it is not as Luxurious.

I would say if you haven't driven the Performance Model, then stop any of the "assumptions" and arguments and go drive one. Then come back and say "I wasn't impressed".

Its an absolutely solid Performer, and handles well enough to rip the twisties, plus you can blow the doors off all the Euro Performance sedans that are much more... and then pull down on the Right side stalk two times and it drives you home in traffic. DONE, game over, crushing functionality.

Last the 300 miles on Electric gets me to my offices and back with plenty of room to cruise around in between those points. I drive from Ojai to roughly LAX, and back... with 60 miles to spare... just can't beat that. I wake up to a full tank each morning... So for me it is a massive winner.

Heck I don't even like the Tesla fan-people.... and I'm realizing I might be one.... Oh the horror!

Last edited by Antigravity; 03-22-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:37 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm still LOLing at people calling a Model 3 fast.

Lets just say I had a nasty encounter with one on the highway in my lifted 2005 Toyota Sequoia on big heavy tires... The douche in the model 3 brake checked me on a wide open highway in the left lane while I was creeping up on him going 75mph.. A game of cat and mouse ensued and the guy couldn't shake the Sequoia for the life of him.. Including exiting and driving through city streets.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Well, technically speaking, the Model 3 does have gears as the motor goes through a final drive ratio of 9:1. And an electric motor is technically an engine. But you are correct in that there is no exhaust note.
Non-technically speaking, anything without a 3rd pedal and a stick does not have gears, and anything without pistons is not an engine
Old 03-22-2019, 02:21 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 594 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueNorther
Non-technically speaking, anything without a 3rd pedal and a stick does not have gears, and anything without pistons is not an engine
The rotary guys will be hurt, hahaha.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:53 AM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would totally consider a Tesla (or similar.. like a Taycan) in addition to my 991.2 GTS for boring commutes and general traffic conditions, but I wouldn't even entertain the idea of treating it as a replacement, and here's why...

The whole philosophy of Tesla is to remove the driver from the function of driving. This is not just the self-driving characteristics, but there is almost no connection to the car at all. Porsche is the philosophical opposite. It doesn't matter which is "better" because it depends on what you're measuring. Porsche is hands-down "better" at involving the driver in the function of driving.

I rode in my friend's Tesla 3, and the acceleration is crazy. But crazy in a synthetic, alien way. My GTS feels a lot more organic. You can feel the power delivery is not linear, but neither are humans so there's a familiarity to it. You feel like you're part of the car, and you and the car are working together. This is magnified with a manual transmission and it's why I think the manual is preferred by some. The common argument against a MT is things like "yeah but it's a pain in traffic". Sure.. but again this is an effort to remove you, the driver, from the driving.

The whole reason we love Porsche is because of their dedication to the feeling, and experience of driving. If I want the most efficient way to get from A to B, Tesla wins, every time. And while I spend 80% of my driving getting from A to B and 20% with a smile on my face, I spend 99% of my time thinking about the next time I'm going to have that smile.

Also they look like s@#t.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:51 AM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,046 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
I'm still LOLing at people calling a Model 3 fast.

Lets just say I had a nasty encounter with one on the highway in my lifted 2005 Toyota Sequoia on big heavy tires... The douche in the model 3 brake checked me on a wide open highway in the left lane while I was creeping up on him going 75mph.. A game of cat and mouse ensued and the guy couldn't shake the Sequoia for the life of him.. Including exiting and driving through city streets.
You got in a Nasty Encounter with a Model 3 Owner? That like saying "I got in a Street fight with a Librarian".

But I'm taking Notes..... If I ever see a 2008 Toyota Sequoia with BIG HEAVY TIRES, that is LIFTED, to make sure I pull over and let them by, there a really good driver behind the wheel of that SEQUOIA for sure. Yes, yes.... scribble scribble... taking notes.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:27 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

I decided a couple years ago that I'm getting an electric - when the price of one drops under $25k and can take me on pub crawls and park themselves until I need them. That would be a good beater/extra to have parked outside. Until then Uber is cheaper and just as much fun. If I wanted a nice sedan, a Toyota Camry would be more appealing. It's certainly better looking at half the price. And you can drive the Camry on a long trip if you want. Can't drive a Tesla out of Florida with the AC on. it's just another high-priced around town beater IMO. Performance? Are there any good YouTube videos showing off the exhaust sounds? Has anyone seen a hot Nordschleife lap time for a Model 3? I have not. And the survival of Tesla itself is a concern. You have to wonder if it's the next Yugo...
Old 03-22-2019, 10:34 AM
ddolbi
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Antigravity
You got in a Nasty Encounter with a Model 3 Owner? That like saying "I got in a Street fight with a Librarian".

But I'm taking Notes..... If I ever see a 2008 Toyota Sequoia with BIG HEAVY TIRES, that is LIFTED, to make sure I pull over and let them by, there a really good driver behind the wheel of that SEQUOIA for sure. Yes, yes.... scribble scribble... taking notes.
I'll do exactly same if I see LIFTED LARGE TIRED Sequoia pushing me. Model 3 is joy to drive. So called enthusiasts dissing Tesla makes me chuckle. I owned several Porsches and other exotics for last 30 years and driving a Tesla is just unique experience as driving a 911. I'm not going to say Tesla is most exciting car out there but Teslas are very pleasant car do drive day to day. Can a Tesla replaces a 911? No, but it is a remarkably good car to drive in it's own way. I think coming Taycan will be incredible.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:55 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 461 Likes on 313 Posts

Believe it or not , I had a similar truck blow by me Monday night on the expressway. I was doing near 20 over the limit. I could hear him coming behind me maybe a half mile back. As he went by, lane juking left and right to go around traffic, it was hard not to notice the large decal on his back window that said "Blow Me!" I'm still shaking my head on that guy.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Ok here is the thing .... Is you 911 a daily driver or a weekend driver ?? I have a model x and as a daily driver you can't beat it .... Going to work . picking up kids ...running errands etc ... it's the best and factor that with the no gas thing and it's a no brainer. As for the acceleration thing the X will kill my 911 but the acceleration in my X is what i would call generic. It certainly pulls and is novel in the beginning but to me it's thrill less maybe it's because of my sport bike past or my age that unless it's hyper car fast the straight line get up and go wears off quickly.

For the pure passion of cars and driving .. I'll take my 911 any day .... No comparison ...
Old 03-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 726 Likes on 335 Posts

I've been around a few Tesla products and to me they just don't seem to be made very well. Their financial are not sound either. The environmental angle of electric cars is also quite dishonest.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:55 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crashedsnow
I would totally consider a Tesla (or similar.. like a Taycan) in addition to my 991.2 GTS for boring commutes and general traffic conditions, but I wouldn't even entertain the idea of treating it as a replacement, and here's why...
This is where we I get into my 'use the right tool for the job' philosophy. I would never get a Tesla to replace a Porsche 911. But for daily driving duties? An EV makes huge sense. EVs are most efficient at slow speeds. Standard non-hybrid cars are least efficient at slow speeds/stop-n-go big city traffic. It's just burning gas and emitting pollutants while sitting still or going slowly. Also literally burning money as you're burning gas and not moving anywhere.

Also, EVs are perfect for short trips. No waiting for your engine to warm up (again, wasting gas). Nor extra wear and tear on the engine from many cold starts and never getting up to proper temp. My dad has a Leaf and it's perfect for him. He only drives 10-20 miles a day and short trips. And he drives so little, he can charge off the 110V wall outlet every night. You know what's nice? Not having to go to a gas station. Plus saving money.

Now, when you want to drive for fun and do track days, take out the Porsche.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:00 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Randy M
The environmental angle of electric cars is also quite dishonest.
How so? A co-worker of mine has a Bolt. Charges 100% from his PV system on his home. Even if you're getting power from a coal fired plant, an EV is still not worse than a gas car. In Cali, I think our power is less than 1% coal; it's all natural gas and renewable. If you want to get into the discussion of battery materials, well, drilling and fracking for oil isn't exactly environmentally friendly either. Then there are leaky oil pipes and transport vehicles. And emissions from processing of oil into fuel. Shrimp in the Gulf of Mexico are still showing signs of contamination or mutation from the BP oil spill.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:14 PM
crashedsnow
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
How so? A co-worker of mine has a Bolt. Charges 100% from his PV system on his home. Even if you're getting power from a coal fired plant, an EV is still not worse than a gas car. In Cali, I think our power is less than 1% coal; it's all natural gas and renewable. If you want to get into the discussion of battery materials, well, drilling and fracking for oil isn't exactly environmentally friendly either. Then there are leaky oil pipes and transport vehicles. And emissions from processing of oil into fuel. Shrimp in the Gulf of Mexico are still showing signs of contamination or mutation from the BP oil spill.
Based solely on carbon emissions (not including environmental impacts like oil spills etc), the figure I heard was that depending on where you live, the "payback" period for an EV is anywhere from 2-5 years. So that means you have to keep and operate the vehicle for 2-5 years before you're net positive against a gasoline engine (emissions from battery material extraction, creation etc, plus source of energy for recharging). Whether you believe that number or not (I'm not sure how rigorous the calculation was), I think that's the basis for the claim of dishonesty.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing a bad thing...