Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not liking Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - what's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
what are you running your GTS’s pressures at? I’ve never been happy with the P0s on my GTS. Thanks
I have oem pirellis on my GTS and like 30/33 ish. Mine are shagged in the rear and going to PS4 next.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:30 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

My Pirellis at -4 all around gonna need to replace them soon so will be trying out the MPS4S.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:40 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
I wonder why Porsche goes with P Zeros for its cars. I don't know anyone that stays with 'em once they wear out. I guess the answer is $$$.
They seem to go from Yokohamas to Pirellis to Michelin (now). I think most manufacturers do that. Does anyone know why pressures are always set at upper full load levels when car comes out of service at a dealership? I'm going Michelin in the spring too.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:51 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
They seem to go from Yokohamas to Pirellis to Michelin (now). I think most manufacturers do that. Does anyone know why pressures are always set at upper full load levels when car comes out of service at a dealership? I'm going Michelin in the spring too.
I just tell my service manager to set the tire pressure to 29 front/31rear (cold) - he agreed the factory spec is ridiculous and only for fully loaded cars on the autobahn. I think if you don't say anything the mechanics will just do it to factory spec, it's checklist thing for them.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-24-2019, 01:54 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

It is a contradiction that Porsche's recommended tire pressure is so high. I guess they want to cover their rear for those clueless owners that never check their tire pressure and yet loaded their cars to the limit on high-speed driving. The higher tire pressure gives them a lot of latitude to safe-guard mishaps, but then it totally wreck the performance of what the car is build for.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:04 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Good to know. Thanks. Mine have always been at full load.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:40 PM
Cuda911
Race Director

Received 441 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by PLom
I just tell my service manager to set the tire pressure to 29 front/31rear (cold) - he agreed the factory spec is ridiculous and only for fully loaded cars on the autobahn. I think if you don't say anything the mechanics will just do it to factory spec, it's checklist thing for them.

Cheers, -Peter
Do you get TPMS messages on the screen running that low?
Old 01-24-2019, 02:46 PM
PLom
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuda911
Do you get TPMS messages on the screen running that low?
Only when it's really cold outside, like around 40F in San Diego and I'm just starting the car. If we have a log spell of morning colds, I give the tires a bit more and it disappears.

Cheers, -Peter
Old 01-26-2019, 09:32 AM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for feedback all.

I reduced the tire pressures and its much much better. I'm at about 35 rear and 32 front. This is a big difference compared to 45 rear and 35 front. I was expecting 'sloppier handling,' but it actually got better and most of the things I complained about are gone or really reduced. Ride comfort and noise is improved too.

Before the switch, I had determined that P Zero's worked best with higher PSI (were sloppy with low PSI). PS4S seems to prefer lower PSI...they lose a lot of feel and grip with higher PSI, yet handling isn't sloppy with lower PSI. I still think that P Zero's with higher PSI were sharper on center though this makes me wonder since I had to use higher than recommended PSI just so they handle better. I guess its subjective and maybe some people preferred lower PSI on P Zero's. Nonetheless, the PS4S noticeably handle bad when PSI is too high.

I'm impressed with wet and cold performance on the PS4S which is the main reason for the switch. I've used the tires at 20F and dry just to see what happens. They handle normally with no noticeable traction lose - makes me think I'm on all seasons. At these temps, even with AWD P Zero's would slip, but you can go ***** out with PS4S and the car doesn't break lose. If you hit a frosty lane marker or bridge transition, both slop though.

I guess the lesson here is to follow the manual not the door sticker. I haven't checked, but maybe the fine print on the door sticker implies that's what you use at full load. It works fine with stock tires so I guess people don't complain. I bet dealers pump the tires up to sticker all the time.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (06-02-2021)
Old 01-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My door sticker shows the normal as well as the comfort pressures, for partial and full load.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:41 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Thanks for feedback all.

I reduced the tire pressures and its much much better. I'm at about 35 rear and 32 front. This is a big difference compared to 45 rear and 35 front. I was expecting 'sloppier handling,' but it actually got better and most of the things I complained about are gone or really reduced. Ride comfort and noise is improved too.

Before the switch, I had determined that P Zero's worked best with higher PSI (were sloppy with low PSI). PS4S seems to prefer lower PSI...they lose a lot of feel and grip with higher PSI, yet handling isn't sloppy with lower PSI. I still think that P Zero's with higher PSI were sharper on center though this makes me wonder since I had to use higher than recommended PSI just so they handle better. I guess its subjective and maybe some people preferred lower PSI on P Zero's. Nonetheless, the PS4S noticeably handle bad when PSI is too high.

I'm impressed with wet and cold performance on the PS4S which is the main reason for the switch. I've used the tires at 20F and dry just to see what happens. They handle normally with no noticeable traction lose - makes me think I'm on all seasons. At these temps, even with AWD P Zero's would slip, but you can go ***** out with PS4S and the car doesn't break lose. If you hit a frosty lane marker or bridge transition, both slop though.

I guess the lesson here is to follow the manual not the door sticker. I haven't checked, but maybe the fine print on the door sticker implies that's what you use at full load. It works fine with stock tires so I guess people don't complain. I bet dealers pump the tires up to sticker all the time.
the lesson here is to ask as you did when something just doesn't seem right and get invaluable input from the wealth of knowledge and good intentions of RL members!
The following 2 users liked this post by golfnutintib:
no401k (05-14-2020), sr5959 (12-22-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 01:36 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

As temps warmed up, the tires got higher pressures again. Started to get same 'wonky' handling... reduced PSI to 32/35 (hot)... the difference is substantial. The front isn't wondering and car tracks straight.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:19 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

[QUOTE=Kelsey;15580177] please delete

Last edited by Kelsey; 04-19-2019 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 04-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I just got my first nail in my MP4S I put on maybe a month ago. AND IT'S A BIG ONE!

Old 04-20-2019, 06:29 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Ouch!

Quick Reply: not liking Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - what's going on?