Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not liking Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - what's going on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:48 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default not liking Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - what's going on?

The rear P Zeros tires wore out after less than 15k miles of use on my 2017 C4S, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (N0 spec). A set was about $1600 out the door. I've had good experience with PSS in previous cars and 4S is supposed to be an improvement so I had high expectations. The worn P Zero's handled poorly in wet or cold conditions, but I had no complaints about warm dry handling, ride, noise, etc.

Experienced installer, good equipment, and the tires balanced well. Went with door sticker 35 PSI front and 45 PSI rear cold. Initial impressions with the tires not broken in:
- Louder (including impacts)
- A bit vague on center
- Harsher ride when hot and less road feel
- Responsive to inputs and corner well when pushed

After 2k miles and plenty of spirited driving, the tires should be broken in. They got a little more accurate, but still a bit 'wandering' going straight especially at higher speeds. Pushing through corners is similar as P Zeros, but I don't drive 'at the limit' at public roads. The ride is firmer when they're hot and they are louder than the P Zeros over smooth pavement - they have a 'whirling' sound the P Zero's didn't. A DB meter might say they're quieter overall, but the high pitched character sounds are more noticeable than white noise. On rougher surfaces, the P Zero's followed imperfections and glued the road more, but the PS4S seem to float over more.

P Zero's slipped in wet conditions a lot (even with AWD), but the PS4S seems to handle wet just a good as dry. They're much better in cold too. I think they are more noisy in the wet though.

My one gripe is the handling is more vague going straight and this gets worse at higher speed. Sometimes it feels disconnected and artificial as it the tires want to go where they want to go rather than where I'm pointing them. Its not completely horrible, but its bad enough for me to question the alignment. The car was aligned 6 months ago and the only thing that changed was the tires. Wear on the P Zeros was even (maybe a little more on inside than outside). I was hoping that break in would be the solution, but that hasn't fixed it. It feels like the tires should have less PSI/ be softer for more grip and road feel, but doing this just going make them more sloppy.

To be fair, I am using summer tires in winter, but the temperature here has been 40-60 lately. The P Zeros were primarily used when it was even warmer so I'm starting to think maybe that's the problem. Perhaps 70F+ is ideal, but that isn't really a fix I'd accept.

I'm hoping things improve in a few months with more wear and warmer temps, but at this point I'm regretting switching to PS4S. Starting to wonder if all the 'media praise' is from 'race track testing' that is irrelevant to day-to-day use. Seems like a better lap time or braking distance is what's considered best. I know its subjective, but in normal driving P Zero's 'felt better' at the cost of quicker wear and worse wet performance. Maybe PS4S shines in aggressive cornering where perhaps P Zeros might fall short...Don't know because I don't race. I want a tire that functions well and more wandering handling on center is unacceptable no matter how hard you can corner because most time is spend driving straight. I did some research and found a few that noted that the PS4S didn't track well when not thrashed yet they said it was at speeds 'people wouldn't notice' so maybe i'm not crazy. Everyone else seems to be jumping on the 'its tire gold standard' marketing.

Everyone is praising the PS4S so whats wrong with mine? I was expecting PSS and IDK what I got. I'm going to get alignment checked...

Last edited by minthral; 01-20-2019 at 06:00 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,262 Posts

In for responses... I'm wanting some 4S's when my 2S's wear out.

Hoping it's an alignment issue for you instead of the tires.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:58 PM
Kelsey
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have Michelin Pilot Sports 4S on my 981 and I too think that the Super Sports were a much bette tirer. I feel like the Michelin Pilot Sports 4S flex a bit more when driving the mountain roads whereas the SS were perfect. I don't think that my 4S tries are NO rated as I got them when they first were released. Honestly a bit disappointed.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:24 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
The rear P Zeros tires wore out after less than 15k miles of use on my 2017 C4S, so I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (N0 spec). A set was about $1600 out the door. I've had good experience with PSS in previous cars and 4S is supposed to be an improvement so I had high expectations. The worn P Zero's handled poorly in wet or cold conditions, but I had no complaints about warm dry handling, ride, noise, etc.

Experienced installer, good equipment, and the tires balanced well. Went with door sticker 35 PSI front and 45 PSI rear cold. Initial impressions with the tires not broken in:
- Louder (including impacts)
- A bit vague on center
- Harsher ride when hot and less road feel
- Responsive to inputs and corner well when pushed

After 2k miles and plenty of spirited driving, the tires should be broken in. They got a little more accurate, but still a bit 'wandering' going straight especially at higher speeds. Pushing through corners is similar as P Zeros, but I don't drive 'at the limit' at public roads. The ride is firmer when they're hot and they are louder than the P Zeros over smooth pavement - they have a 'whirling' sound the P Zero's didn't. A DB meter mine say they're quieter overall, but the high pitched character sounds are more noticeable than white noise. On rougher surfaces, the P Zero's followed imperfections and glued the road more, but the PS4S seem to float over more.

P Zero's slipped in wet conditions a lot (even with AWD), but the PS4S seems to handle wet just a good as dry. They're much better in cold too. I think they are more noisy in the wet though.

My mine gripe is the handling is more vague going straight and this gets worse at higher speed. Sometimes it feels disconnected and artificial as it the tires want to go where they want to go rather than where I'm pointing them. Its not completely horrible, but its bad enough for me to question the alignment. The car was aligned 6 months ago and the only thing that changed was the tires. Wear on the P Zeros was event (maybe a little more on inside than outside). I was hoping that break in would be the solution, but that hasn't fixed it. It feels like the tires should have less PSI/ be softer for more grip and road feel, but doing this just just make them more sloppy.

To be fair, I am using summer tires in winter, but the temperature here has been 40-60 lately. The P Zeros were primarily used when it was even warmer so I'm starting to think maybe that's the problem. Perhaps 70F+ is ideal, but that isn't really a fix I'd accept.

I'm hoping things improve in a few months with more wear and warmer temps, but at this point I'm regretting switching to PS4S. Starting to wonder if all the 'media praise' is from 'race track testing' that is irrelevant to day-to-day use. Seems like a better lap time or braking distance is what's driving what best. I know its subjective, but in normal driving P Zero's 'felt better' at the cost of quicker wear and worse wet performance. Maybe PS4S shines in aggressive cornering (loading) where perhaps P Zeros might fall short...Don't know because I don't race. I want a tire that functions well and more wandering handling on center is unacceptable no matter how hard you can corner because most time is spend driving straight. I did some research and found a few that noted that the PS4S didn't track well when not thrashed yet they said it would at speeds 'people wouldn't notice' so maybe i'm not crazy. Everyone else seems to be jumping on the 'its tire gold standard' marketing.

Everyone is praising the PS4S so whats wrong with mine? I was expecting PSS and IDK what I got. I'm going to get alignment checked...
Your tire air pressures are way to high, which is why you are feeling that “wandering disconnected feeling.” Especially if it’s cold out...as tires heat up, the air pressure in tires raises. Look in your manual and try the comfort setting ..about 32-33 psi front, 36 or so rear.
The following 5 users liked this post by tango131:
0luke1 (10-05-2020), CBS (12-23-2019), George from MD (10-03-2020), I am the Walrus (10-03-2020), NightBlueTTS (12-24-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Agreed. Drop your tire pressures.
The following users liked this post:
Nm2far (12-25-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 03:40 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Agreed. Drop your tire pressures.
^^^^ I run 30/34 cold. Perfect.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:44 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

MPS4SN0 on my 991.2 GTS have been great.

Check your pressures. And below 5 degrees Celsius any UHP tire will struggle ...
The following users liked this post:
Nm2far (12-25-2019)
Old 01-20-2019, 04:14 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll try seeing how low I can drop the PSI. I messed around plenty with P Zero's and they were sloppy and slow to respond with lower pressure which is what I find typical with tires. Dropping PSI was my first test and PS4S and had similar result, but with colder and variable temps, I quickly set it back to sticker. For example its going from 55F down to 15F tonight here.

Manual says for 4S...

Standard
31/39 partly load
34/44 fully load

Comfort
29/33 partly load
31/39 fully load

I assume full load car holding weight? Meaning the more weight on the car the higher the PSI should be? Looks like heavier cars (PDK, AWD) call for more PSI.

Also it mentions that the PSI is set at 68F/20C meaning if you set it at 40F or lower to sticker PSI, that's even worse? According to the logic tire pressure would be really low in cold temps if you went with comfort (26 or lower front, which I know will be really sloppy).

I'm confused because my sticker says 35/45, but that's not even in the manual. If anything its 34/44 max. Nonetheless, according to the manual it does seem mine is set too high. Maybe this works better for P Zeros and PS4S works best with lower PSI.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...Technical-data
Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

As others have said; your tire pressures are too high.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim M.
As others have said; your tire pressures are too high.
ditto. I run 33/39 front & rear, pot hole ptotection. Ride and grip seems perfect.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:19 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by minthral
Comfort
29/33 partly load
31/39 fully load
This—-^
Old 01-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Yeah, 45 PSI is crazy high. Out of laziness I usually leave all four of mine set to 35.

I suspect the door sticker is some kind of EPA gamesmanship. The fuel economy is rated at the stated tire pressures, so they state whatever tire pressures yield the best mileage at the expense of everything else. You would never want to use those pressures in real life.

That said, it is true that the MPSSes don't have quite the same on-center feel as the PZeros. A small price to pay for their other advantages IMO.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:06 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Not a 991 driver but I saw OP's pressure and immediately thought that has to be way too high......even for a C4S. As others have stated....drop the pressure. I've had PS2's, PSS, and now PS4S.....first 2 on my M3 and 4S on the GT4. Michelin keeps improving this tire with every new launch........Phil
Old 01-20-2019, 06:28 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Definitely go down in pressure. I love the 4S over the Pzeros. I run 30 or 32 front and 34 rears. Total difference in driving experience at the lower pressures. Grip and noise level improve.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:30 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Do you still have p zeros on the front?

Quick Reply: not liking Michelin Pilot Sport 4S - what's going on?