Sponsored by:

DSC Sport V3 Control Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 01:06 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Yes, I have made and stored hundreds of maps(aka calibration files) for DSC users worldwide. Send me an email request and I'll reply with the map to suit your description. My email is: tchan@tpcracing.com
Tom another question on the engine mounts

As I understand it if you select Sport Plus with the factory controller it locks the mounts Will the DSC conroller do that as well? Thinking about track use primarily or other aggressive driving like twisties in the mountains. car is a 991.1 GTS cab.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon D
Tom another question on the engine mounts

As I understand it if you select Sport Plus with the factory controller it locks the mounts Will the DSC conroller do that as well? Thinking about track use primarily or other aggressive driving like twisties in the mountains. car is a 991.1 GTS cab.
The short answers is no. DSC controls the engine mounts in an active manner, in the same manner as it controls individual dampers on the car; as the g-force, the driver inputs, and the rate of change increases the commands to stiffen increases to counter the load.
But if you chose to, you can use DSC software to change the engine commands to the maximum value(100%) for all driving situations to produce the full stiff all the time effect. This can be done to the damper as well if so desired.
We have found that in general, having solid mounts is better than floppy soft mounts for high performance/track driving.
"In general" are the key words there. But dissecting a cornering event what we really want is stiffer mounts for corner entry and controlled drivetrain weight distribution to improve exit grip(like adding a little bit of downforce via mechanical loading instead of aero). DSC standard mapping is programmed to do this.
The following users liked this post:
Croc999 (08-14-2020)
Old 10-11-2018, 02:01 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

The short answers is no. DSC controls the engine mounts in an active manner, in the same manner as it controls individual dampers on the car; as the g-force, the driver inputs, and the rate of change increases the commands to stiffen increases to counter the load.
But if you chose to, you can use DSC software to change the engine commands to the maximum value(100%) for all driving situations to produce the full stiff all the time effect. This can be done to the damper as well if so desired.
We have found that in general, having solid mounts is better than floppy soft mounts for high performance/track driving.
"In general" are the key words there. But dissecting a cornering event what we really want is stiffer mounts for corner entry and controlled drivetrain weight distribution to improve exit grip(like adding a little bit of downforce via mechanical loading instead of aero). DSC standard mapping is programmed to do this.
Thanks I understand, so in a perfect world I’d want two sets of maps
1) the stock set up for most driving
2) separate set for track.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:55 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Tom, any comment about how the DSC works in conjunction with PDCC?
Do they help each other or fight each other?
Old 10-11-2018, 02:58 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Questions for those with experience with aftermarket warranty:
Does the TPC module negate their coverage?
I'm assuming we'd all pull the file and go back to stock before any issue is addressed by shop, however if one forgets/can't, what has been the experience?
Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Thanks I understand, so in a perfect world I’d want two sets of maps
1) the stock set up for most driving
2) separate set for track.
Sorry my reply didn't indicate that DSC does have two modes for the Dynamic Engine Mounts. And that both DSC Dynamic Engine Mount modes are active. So there's no need for a DSC user to create his own maps, that is unless the user has a specific reason to.
Some of this info is already in post #33 of this thread. We refer to the DSC Dynamic Engine Mount control as "Driveline". (see post #33).
The DSC Driveline Normal mode is already programmed to stiffen up in a milder way than the DSC Driveline Sport mode.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Sorry my reply didn't indicate that DSC does have two modes for the Dynamic Engine Mounts. And that both DSC Dynamic Engine Mount modes are active. So there's no need for a DSC user to create his own maps, that is unless the user has a specific reason to.
Some of this info is already in post #33 of this thread. We refer to the DSC Dynamic Engine Mount control as "Driveline". (see post #33).
The DSC Driveline Normal mode is already programmed to stiffen up in a milder way than the DSC Driveline Sport mode.
sorry guess I wasn’t clear either, understand the controller has two modes, was think would a want a track map that was more like sport in standard mode and full lock in sport or am I overthinking what’s necessary for a non pro but competent driver.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

understand the controller has two modes, was think would a want a track map that was more like sport in standard mode and full lock in sport or am I overthinking what’s necessary for a non pro but competent driver.
Respectfully, I think the latter. DSC Sport mode does "lock" the Dynamic Engine Mounts at 1.0g in any direction.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:58 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Respectfully, I think the latter. DSC Sport mode does "lock" the Dynamic Engine Mounts at 1.0g in any direction.
ok thanks, I have a tendency to over analyze. Will work with my Indy and add the unit to this falls upgrades.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:01 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Short answer:
DSC works great with PDCC.
They don't fight each other at all.

Explanation:
PDCC basically turns the sway bar force on or off by using an electronic sway bar link(a mini electronic damper), this function allows for cars with this option to be factory equipped with heavy rate sway bars without the harsh low speed ride that's associated with heavy rate sway bars.
Another words, it temporarily disconnects the sway bars at under 17-ish mph to improve low speed comfort over mild bumps. Above the threshold speed the mini electronic damper links engage and then the sway bars work like any other.
I think that any driver who owns or has owned a car with adjustable sway bars and tried the different adjustment holes to dial in street comfort versus handling performance can appreciate this option.
DSC complements PDDC by further improving low speed compliance over bumps. At higher speeds with the sway bars fully engaged the DSC active damping commands really shine.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:19 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

I have a tendency to over analyze.
I do that all the time. Thankfully I have co-workers here to keep me in check.

Will work with my Indy and add the unit to this falls upgrades.
Sounds good. If you need more info on the topic feel free to give me a call. I may be able to explain better one-on-one over the phone.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arter
Short answer:
DSC works great with PDCC.
They don't fight each other at all.

Explanation:
PDCC basically turns the sway bar force on or off by using an electronic sway bar link(a mini electronic damper), this function allows for cars with this option to be factory equipped with heavy rate sway bars without the harsh low speed ride that's associated with heavy rate sway bars.
Another words, it temporarily disconnects the sway bars at under 17-ish mph to improve low speed comfort over mild bumps. Above the threshold speed the mini electronic damper links engage and then the sway bars work like any other.
I think that any driver who owns or has owned a car with adjustable sway bars and tried the different adjustment holes to dial in street comfort versus handling performance can appreciate this option.
DSC complements PDDC by further improving low speed compliance over bumps. At higher speeds with the sway bars fully engaged the DSC active damping commands really shine.
Our OPTIMA Ultimate Street Challenge 991TTS runs DSC V3 controller, DSC/Tractive dampers, and factory PDCC.
I think PDCC is a wonderful thing, at low speeds(under 20mph) in many situations you almost don't want to have sway bar action.
Here's photo showing the mini electronic damper sway bar link.

This car rocks the show!

Old 10-12-2018, 02:30 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

My DSC v3 was delivered today , can’t wait to install it.

Just had to share.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog
My DSC v3 was delivered today , can’t wait to install it.

Just had to share.
And I’ll try to post a review after a track day at Thunderhill at the end of this month.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:43 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog

And I’ll try to post a review after a track day at Thunderhill at the end of this month.
please do! what car do you have?

Quick Reply: DSC Sport V3 Control Module