Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanley Park
But, I could never refer to the Bose system as junk or crap.

But I can, it both junk and crap.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanley Park
I had a professor that studied at MIT with Amar Bose, the founder of the Bose Corporation. He was so enamored with Mr. Bose that he chose the textbook for our course that year to be one that was authored by Bose himself.

Throughout the year, our coursework included audio/electrical problems that my professor had encountered while working with Bose. Our school was not in the same league as MIT, so the class tended to boo and hiss whenever our professor sounded-off with anecdotes of Bose and his work – all in good fun of course.

I came away from that school year, in the days before the Internet and do-everything smartphone apps, thinking that Amar Bose was one very sharp cookie so to speak. He designed using a pencil and paper and engineering first principles – no catalog lookup or app settings for him. Mr. Bose and his company are an American engineering success story.

I chose the Burmester over Bose for my Porsche last year because it sounded better to my layman's ear. But, I could never refer to the Bose system as junk or crap.
Bose was famous in the mid 1970s for their 901 speakers. They sounded very good but, due to the need for reflection off walls, placement in the room was critical. Decades later, mostly their speaker were considered mediocre, at best by many. They have great marketing & really pushed the small Bose Cubes. This appealed to people who wanted a very small speakers. I listened to them in ~2002 since I needed to place then on a mantle in front of my 42" Plasma TV (EDTV, not HDTV) They sounded horrible to me! But, they sure were small, LOL. I ended up discovering Mirage Omnisat speakers, which were awesome & still fairly small.

Bottom line, as always is the listening test, with your familiar music. Not as easy with car audio as with home audio!
Old 10-12-2018, 02:39 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

I went Bose in the two Porsches I’ve owned , largely because they sounded better to me than base stereo , and at the time I didn’t want to spend the money for the Burmester stereo , but instead on performance options.

It’s a very decent middle ground system IMO.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:40 AM
mprog
Racer

Received 184 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mprog
I went Bose in the two Porsches I’ve owned , largely because they sounded better to me than base stereo , and at the time I didn’t want to spend the money for the Burmester stereo , but instead on performance options.

It’s a very decent middle ground system IMO.
of course, the best soundtrack is the PSE ...
Old 11-02-2018, 07:31 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 739 Likes on 539 Posts

Burmeister noticeably better sound......cleaner crisper more vivid sounding than the Bose in a 911 cabin............
The following users liked this post:
P2C4 (11-05-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the base in my 991.1 and couldn't be happier with it. When I play music it sounds great to me, but I'm not an audio expert or anything
Old 11-03-2018, 12:45 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

If you are an audiophile, the sky's the limit. And there are better choices. However, for me it is for the home audio. In the car, honestly, I do not care much. I have had Bose in all my 911s and am fine with it. To me it's a [small] step up from the base and although Burmeister is another step-up, I am perfectly fine with just one step
Old 11-03-2018, 08:30 AM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

I'm a fan of the Bose... but source is the most important part of the equation. It make's huge difference what the quality of the recording is. There are a few XM stations that have incredible dynamic range, same with Amazon music with newer recordings. Listen to some Boney James thru either or those sources and the Bose rocks. In contrast, I was in the mood for some Bruce Hornsby a few days ago. Dialed it up on Amazon music and it sounded [comparibly] terrible. Of course it had a much lower dynamic range, and was recorded and mastered in the 80's (I think). Garbage-In-garbage-out is the rule... but Boney-in-Boney-out. Whoooop whoooop.

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?