Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1094629-standard-bose-burmester-or-custom-audio.html)

Dan Nagy 09-01-2018 12:54 PM

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

When building a 911, that’s the question. Has anyone ordered the standard audio and gone aftermarket? If so, what was the experience and cost? Thanks in advance for your reply.

I currently have Bose with the Musicar tweeters, but hate Bose so much for the crap they put in my car that I dont want to give them more business. However, the price of Burmester seems too high, especially compared to the system we had put in our BMW.

koala 09-01-2018 02:17 PM

If I were factory ordering a car, I'd stick with the basic radio and then upgrade from there. The Bose and Burmester are both underwhelming.

ronht 09-01-2018 02:34 PM

I disagree

I've experienced the Bose in a 2017 Carrera S and was unimpressed, really couldn't tell much difference between the Bose and the basic sound package.

In my Carrera T I now have the Burmester and the difference in quality and clarity is really amazing!

BTW - with the Burmester you get an additional "Burmester" menu in the PCM for sound adjustment

koala 09-01-2018 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by ronht (Post 15259341)
I disagree

I've experienced the Bose in a 2017 Carrera S and was unimpressed, really couldn't tell much difference between the Bose and the basic sound package.

In my Carrera T I now have the Burmester and the difference in quality and clarity is really amazing!

BTW - with the Burmester you get an additional "Burmester" menu in the PCM for sound adjustment

Oh it's not that the Burmester doesn't sound good, but for the price premium, I'd rather spend half of that in the aftermarket for a better solution. YMMV

sanghav4 09-01-2018 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by koala (Post 15259314)
If I were factory ordering a car, I'd stick with the basic radio and then upgrade from there. The Bose and Burmester are both underwhelming.

+1

flsupraguy 09-01-2018 03:17 PM

I'm happy in my base stereo 17 gts

Keadog 09-01-2018 03:33 PM

I ordered Burmester in my ‘15 TT. Wouldn’t pay over BOSE prices again. I’ve heard one base unit in a 991.1 cab and it was awful. BOSE is “good enough” for my untrained ears. Burmester in a sports car seems like a waste to me.

Chris - 97C2 09-01-2018 04:07 PM

I started down the path with the same question. Bottom line is that I would have only been happy if I had gone with a really high end system which would have a) cost way more than the Burmester, b) been more "impactful" to the car itself (potential loss of frunk or rear shelf space, lack of or difficulty integrating into the factory system, etc...), and c) introduced the potential for more rattles, ground loops, and other issues. Bottom line, for me, I went with the Burmester as an easy and good (sound quality), if not exactly cheap, solution.

Rennolazine 09-01-2018 04:09 PM

In my T with base stereo, with the volume at 60-70% I feel like Im gonna go deaf. The cabin is so tiny. What are you guys listening to that you need 5 million watts? Lol :) I agree the tweeters are garbage in the base and bose, but these can be fixed for like 600 bucks. With that said, I did just spend significant $ to fix a different stereo - the exhaust, and most would argue that was completely unecessary too. Im curious if anyone has a cheap bang for the buck stereo upgrade for the base system in the .2. Its powered through the pcm vs external amp for the higher systems, which may complicate things.

BrntRubber 09-01-2018 04:14 PM

I am going debating how to upgrade the Bose system in my touring at the moment.

Here is my honest opinion. If you go aftermarket a significant amount of money needs to go towards a top notch installer who will do a great job in assisting with equipment selection, installation/fabrication and tuning. This is highly underrated and is around 1/3 of my budget at a minimum.

if you had the budget for Burmeister I would go for the standard system and then go aftermarket. I went Bose and am still likely going aftermarket (I am considering the AMT Burmeister tweeter as I like the sound of ribbons).

I am sersioussly considering 4 way active with a shallow sub in the passenger footwell or behind he seat. A decent amp like a JL HD900/5 can drive the entire active setup including the sub and you have a range of speakers at different budgets. This will outshine Burmeister by a mile if a good installer does the job.

I have two threads on this for your reference and although no one has chimed in, I will update as things progress for the benefit of others.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-footwell.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1092...silk-dome.html

Some equipment I really like a will probably be using includes:
- JL Audio TW3 or TW5 sub
- JL HD 900/5 (many people also like Mosconi)
- Morel Elate Limited Edition Carbon Fibre 6.5 Mid (although 6.5inch when a larger driver can fit) as the sub will do the heavy lifting
- Tweeter I have not decided... Debating between A) Dynaudio from Musicar or B) Morel Limited Tweeter to match the mid or C) Burmeister AMT Ribbon Tweeter

PCA1983 09-01-2018 04:41 PM

It's a 911, and its built for sunny day blasts, PCA and other sportscar events. I had my .1 S for two years, and never listened to music. I've had my new one 9 weeks and have yet to listen to music, except in driveway when washing. Outside the car in the drive it doesn't matter what system you have It sounds like it's inside the car. If you have long boring daily commutes where you want to listen to music, get a beater, and put a sound system in it. You can buy fine brand new Honda or Toyota beaters for well below $20k. The 911 cabin is small and the noise is high (but good!). It's never going to sound like a concert hall in a 911.

Porsche911GTS'16 09-01-2018 05:55 PM

I had the Bose in my 991.1 C2 cab and upgraded to the Burmester for my 991.1 GTS cab. Night and day difference. Money very well spent. I spec'd my GT3T with Bose not because I like the Bose but because I figured if I am going to maximize the Apple Car Play, I might as well spend the extra $1,600 for the upgraded sound system, even though it is mediocre at best. A Burmester can be appreciated in a non-GT3 911 much moreso than a GT3 for the simple fact that the GT3 has less sound insulation and has a gloriously loud engine that is music to my ears.

flsupraguy 09-01-2018 06:26 PM

Just added the tweeters from nick at musiccarnw to my base stereo in my 2017 GTS and night and day transformation. couldn't be happier!

4pipes 09-01-2018 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Keadog (Post 15259438)
I ordered Burmester in my ‘15 TT. Wouldn’t pay over BOSE prices again. I’ve heard one base unit in a 991.1 cab and it was awful. BOSE is “good enough” for my untrained ears. Burmester in a sports car seems like a waste to me.

Totally agree.

Valvefloat991 09-01-2018 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by flsupraguy (Post 15259732)
Just added the tweeters from nick at musiccarnw to my base stereo in my 2017 GTS and night and day transformation. couldn't be happier!

Which tweeters were those?