Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018 | 01:02 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

That is the latest curve I tried. I suppose it could be improved. I set the Porsche settings at +6 for bass. The result is it's a TON more listenable. The 991 Bose system is a disaster compared to the 997 Bose system. And the 997 was just OK. Using this much bass boost there are limits to how loud you can play music, so listen for the bass drivers breaking up or distortion or you could damage a bass drivers. Distortion means back off the volume. But it plays plenty loud for me with the top up. Top down who cares.
Old 09-29-2018 | 01:24 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
That is the latest curve I tried. I suppose it could be improved. I set the Porsche settings at +6 for bass. The result is it's a TON more listenable. The 991 Bose system is a disaster compared to the 997 Bose system. And the 997 was just OK. Using this much bass boost there are limits to how loud you can play music, so listen for the bass drivers breaking up or distortion or you could damage a bass drivers. Distortion means back off the volume. But it plays plenty loud for me with the top up. Top down who cares.
Thanks, every little bit of tweaking helps with getting the Bose to sort of work.
Old 09-29-2018 | 04:00 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon D

Thanks, every little bit of tweaking helps with getting the Bose to sort of work.
I think you will be surprised. Equalization can do amazing things. At Upscale audio we DON'T use EQ. We even avoid tone controls. But in my cars this has worked wonders. I don't mind spending money on my Porsche but frankly I'm not super keen on having it taken apart. I'm a freak about rattles and squeaks.
Old 09-29-2018 | 04:21 PM
TQP
AutoX

Default Sonos Car Audio

Hoping Sonos comes out with car speakers and technology.
Old 09-29-2018 | 04:28 PM
dchang81
Instructor

I think you will be surprised. Equalization can do amazing things. At Upscale audio we DON'T use EQ. We even avoid tone controls. But in my cars this has worked wonders. I don't mind spending money on my Porsche but frankly I'm not super keen on having it taken apart. I'm a freak about rattles and squeaks.
Seeing how a lot of shops butcher stuff I don't think it's really worth it.
Old 09-29-2018 | 05:14 PM
TQP
AutoX

I am thinking next generation Sonos replaces Bose. I did replace my Bose (991.2) with JL Amp and Dynaudio. The installer out of Tuckahoe NY did an amazing job. No one would ever suspect that a change was made until the audio is turned on. New shelf in the frunk.
Old 09-29-2018 | 05:20 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

TQP: AI Design? They are definitely the best around these parts but, I wasn't feeling it with them. I met with them and the price was high, but artificially so IMO. Didnt want to lose Frunk space and they weren't interested in other options like under the passenger seat. No question they are good, I just decided to travel 200 miles each way to MA to get it done. Big improvement over stock Bose dont you think?
Old 10-02-2018 | 03:45 PM
Upscale Audio
Banned

Originally Posted by Jon D

Did you try the EQ app yet? How did it work out?
Old 10-02-2018 | 04:56 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

i have not - have not had the car out of the garage ;( . should be able to this weekend.
Old 10-07-2018 | 04:41 PM
TQP
AutoX

AI is correct. I always believe that you get what you pay for. AI only took up a small area in my trunk and build a shelf over it. Everything looks stock. Big improvement over Burmester (Mercedes Benz) and just about any other car audio although the B&O in my Audi SQ5 is pretty good. I keep saying junk in junk out. Tidal or digital/DTS sound makes a huge difference.
Old 10-08-2018 | 09:16 PM
Jon D
Rennlist Member

played with it some over the weekend, little shallower curve than yours but similar. Sounded better but still not good definition especially vocals and some electronic guitar (Santana). Convinced need to do Nicks tweeter upgrade just need to prioritize that over some other car mods.
Old 10-10-2018 | 08:28 PM
campbellbarker
Intermediate

sorry... i can't hear you... the windows are down and the sports exhaust is on...
Old 10-10-2018 | 10:12 PM
Stanley Park
Intermediate

I had a professor that studied at MIT with Amar Bose, the founder of the Bose Corporation. He was so enamored with Mr. Bose that he chose the textbook for our course that year to be one that was authored by Bose himself.

Throughout the year, our coursework included audio/electrical problems that my professor had encountered while working with Bose. Our school was not in the same league as MIT, so the class tended to boo and hiss whenever our professor sounded-off with anecdotes of Bose and his work – all in good fun of course.

I came away from that school year, in the days before the Internet and do-everything smartphone apps, thinking that Amar Bose was one very sharp cookie so to speak. He designed using a pencil and paper and engineering first principles – no catalog lookup or app settings for him. Mr. Bose and his company are an American engineering success story.

I chose the Burmester over Bose for my Porsche last year because it sounded better to my layman's ear. But, I could never refer to the Bose system as junk or crap.
Old 10-11-2018 | 09:16 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Stanley Park
I had a professor that studied at MIT with Amar Bose, the founder of the Bose Corporation. He was so enamored with Mr. Bose that he chose the textbook for our course that year to be one that was authored by Bose himself.

Throughout the year, our coursework included audio/electrical problems that my professor had encountered while working with Bose. Our school was not in the same league as MIT, so the class tended to boo and hiss whenever our professor sounded-off with anecdotes of Bose and his work – all in good fun of course.

I came away from that school year, in the days before the Internet and do-everything smartphone apps, thinking that Amar Bose was one very sharp cookie so to speak. He designed using a pencil and paper and engineering first principles – no catalog lookup or app settings for him. Mr. Bose and his company are an American engineering success story.

I chose the Burmester over Bose for my Porsche last year because it sounded better to my layman's ear. But, I could never refer to the Bose system as junk or crap.
That’s very sweet, and thanks for that perspective. I wonder how you woukd feel after pulling out cheap, pathetic tweeters from your car? Bose genius is evident in other things that they do, but not this. They should be embarrassed for themselves.

BTW - I use Bose NC headphones when flying, and a 3-2-1 system with my TV.
Old 10-11-2018 | 09:21 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Bose is just branding and marketing. It in no way implies quality across the board or some level of superiority.
For all we know the parts are made in China and rebranded here in the US. No idea, just speculating.

I can tell you from personal experience that after inspecting the quality of the speakers, the materials used in the production and the sound, that the Bose in the 991.2 is low end from any perspective.

Even the worst, least expensive aftermarket parts from Crutchfield are of higher quality than the Bose stuff. The advantage the Bose system has is that it was designed into the car so it sounds better than it should because you are flooded with sound from all over the place (front/rear/dash/sub) but, the sound itself is caca.

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?