Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 09:22 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

TwinTurbo420: Ok, so I gave my installer the green light to offer me different price point options and I chose the LEAST expensive option.
The installation/labor costs were identical, about $4000 or so but, the audio was part of an entire laser and radar install as well so tough to break down.
The cost of the actual speakers was very very cheap, like $170 a pair retail, which is absurdly cheap to me. The amp (GladenOne 60.8) and the NavTV part were $2800.
So, figure all of the speakers (6), amp, navTV, sound deadening, cables, connectors was about $3700. The LABOR was 40 hours at $110, which puts the system at about $8000

The Musicar system had much more expensive components so their system cost 10-11k which was more than I wanted to spend. It also required you to buy Burmester Grills to house their upgraded tweeters which is something I didnt want to do mainly because I dont have or want a Burmester system and didnt want it to say Burmester on my grills. Silly I know..

Musicar was also too far away and I wasn't prepared to add 2500 to the cost to ship my car to Oregon and if there was any problem who would service it? No one on the East Coast I was aware of..

To Answer the Bose question.. There are advantages to having ordered the Bose because it is all fiber optic whereas the base system is not. The disadvantage is that you need to buy the NavTV part which is expensive, just to convert the AD/DA fiber optic and get it to work with aftermarket amps. The Bose and Navtv add $3000 to the cost, so probably in retrospect the better option would still be Base system.

If you have someone to do the labor for $60 an hour who knows what they are doing then you could have a killer system for half that. Its the labor that is the back breaker but, you get what you pay for. No damage, clean install, everything labeled and custom cut for my exact system. Not cheap but, the sound is fantastic.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:08 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The important thing is you are very happy with your system.
I think the reason for Burmester grills vs. Bose grills is the Burmester ones are more "open" less restrictive.
I think I saw pictures of them side by side. Maybe in the Musicar thread, don't recall.

Good point about opting for Bose & you get fiber optics.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:11 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

The Burmester grills allow for a larger tweeter to be installed. The Bose Grills are smaller but, fit the tweeters my Installer chose without modification or replacement.
Old 09-08-2018, 10:07 PM
pprj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
I just keep thinking about the conversion with Nick's tweeters and the cheap crap Bose I pulled out. I guess Bose is selling that crap to Porsche for $150 and Porsche is selling it to us for $1600.
Exactly. The Bose system is a joke and can't be sold as a Premium sound system.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:49 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

I think about this post every morning when I turn my Bose on and listen to Watercolors (jazz).... and fall in love all over again. To each his own, right? I love my Bose.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:20 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched Nick Murray's First Month update (March 2017) on his 991.2 C4S and roughly 10 1/2 minutes into the video he talks about how great his Bose system is in this car as compared to the Bose in the 991.1. He indicates that upon contacting Porsche about if something had really changed with the 991.2, they confirmed that the system was completely updated with all new speakers designs and amps.

So, has anyone else actually compared the two side-by-side, 991.1 Bose vs. 991.2 Bose? Is it an improved experience?
Old 09-12-2018, 10:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

My SA said that it sounded better to him and he actually advised me against spending the money on the Burmester since he felt it was one of the options worth the money. He also said that side by side the Burmester is better than the Bose but not enough to pay more for the other. Granted the Bose needed to be tweaked more, especially for different genres, but he said the newer ones are better.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:51 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by saundebn
I just watched Nick Murray's First Month update (March 2017) on his 991.2 C4S and roughly 10 1/2 minutes into the video he talks about how great his Bose system is in this car as compared to the Bose in the 991.1. He indicates that upon contacting Porsche about if something had really changed with the 991.2, they confirmed that the system was completely updated with all new speakers designs and amps.

So, has anyone else actually compared the two side-by-side, 991.1 Bose vs. 991.2 Bose? Is it an improved experience?
The only component in the 991.1 vs 991.2 Bose system that changed is the amplifier. Instead of using two separate amplifiers(small standalone amp for subwoofer) they integrated everything into one. They also added an extra pair of amp channels to power the midrange and tweeters independently rather than off a shared channel, which should equal more power and control. Speakers themselves are identical, and I've verified that with both part number lookup tools and physically during disassembly. Porsche is either lying to your SA or he is to you. Not uncommon for people to make up something when they don't have the answer though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nick
Old 09-13-2018, 05:33 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
My SA said that it sounded better to him and he actually advised me against spending the money on the Burmester since he felt it was one of the options worth the money. He also said that side by side the Burmester is better than the Bose but not enough to pay more for the other. Granted the Bose needed to be tweaked more, especially for different genres, but he said the newer ones are better.
I listened to the Bose and Burmester today, both 2018 911s and the Burmester sounded significantly better IMO. Is it worth the $5K price tag? Heck no! I don’t consider myself an audiophile but I grew up playing in a heavy metal/hard rock garage band, which explains why I’m half deaf so I know a little bit about sound, and I definitely need quality sounding music when I’m driving. If I were younger, I’d spend the time and energy to install an aftermarket system but I’m not that motivated these days so Burmester it is for me.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 09-13-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 08:22 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

@12v Nick: The communication with Porsche wasn't something that I initiated ... it was Nick Murray that wrote to Porsche and it was their written response to him (as he reported in his video) that indicated that both the speakers and amp was updated with the 991.2. Sorry to hear that he may have been misled.

That said, I'm fortunate to be able to afford simply going with the Burmester system in my new build so as to not deal with any after-market work that could potentially jeopardize the factory integrity of the car. Good audio is relatively important to me and while it falls behind car appearance and driving experience in priority, I'm making the higher level of investment up front without foregoing any of the style or performance features that I wanted.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:13 AM
TwinTurbo420
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep

I listened to the Bose and Burmester today,...

How did you do the comparison test? Were you able to bring your own lossless, familiar music?
Were you able to listen back to back?
Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saundebn
@12v Nick: The communication with Porsche wasn't something that I initiated ... it was Nick Murray that wrote to Porsche and it was their written response to him (as he reported in his video) that indicated that both the speakers and amp was updated with the 991.2. Sorry to hear that he may have been misled.

That said, I'm fortunate to be able to afford simply going with the Burmester system in my new build so as to not deal with any after-market work that could potentially jeopardize the factory integrity of the car. Good audio is relatively important to me and while it falls behind car appearance and driving experience in priority, I'm making the higher level of investment up front without foregoing any of the style or performance features that I wanted.
Being able to afford something was not a factor in my decision to get the Bose as I thought it was more than adequate for me; I did not get what I have today by wasting money. If someone thinks they need to spend the extra cash on the Burmester go for it but I listened to both and did not feel it was worth it. Man, there are so many threads on this issue and if people would just listen to what is available there probably would not be any (I know, wishful thinking).
Old 09-14-2018, 11:57 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TwinTurbo420
How did you do the comparison test? Were you able to bring your own lossless, familiar music?
Were you able to listen back to back?
There was a Turbo S with the Burmester and a Carrera S with the BOSE in the show room next to each other. I played the exact same music on both, back to back. I find BOSE to make adequate home products and exceptional aviation/everyday use headsets but not very good car audio, IMO. Case in point-Bose in my Audi is just okay but sounds better than the one in a 911. In fact, the Fender system in the VW sounds superior to Bose. Burmester produces significantly cleaner/crisper sound even at high volumes whereas the Bose becomes muddled and wobbled, especially the bass. Neither system pumps out the tight bass that I’m looking for but the Burmester wins hands down. Like I’ve said, the Burm isn’t worth the price tag but it’s better than the alternative for me. Once again, sound is mostly a personal preference and really has to do with the type of music that one listens to. In high end sports cars, a good sound system isn’t very important or even necessary but music is important to me when I’m just cruising. My 2 cents.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:58 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Did you take the time to fine tune the Bose and try the different options? I will say the Burmester is easier to live since one does not need to fiddle with it as much. I still say for the average listener the Bose is fine and someone else posted that they love the Bose - how can one say that and another say it sucks?!
Old 09-14-2018, 01:04 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

If you look at the quality of the components on the Bose and even the Burmester, you will see they are of very low quality. Mass produced, paper cones, industrial amp quality.
Without ever listening to it, you can see that based on the components its not high quality. Compared to the aftermarket parts the weight of the magnets/coils, the composition of the materials used on the cones, the higher rating of the amps.. You dont even need to hear it to know it "sucks".

Some people have no problem with the tinny speakers in their televisions and thinks it sounds fine. You will hear sound, but if you could play the same source on two systems side by side there isnt a person on earth who would say the Bose or Burmester sounds better. Its that dramatic. Without a baseline to compare it to it sounds fine

Quick Reply: Standard, Bose, Burmester, or Custom Audio?