Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive in the Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019 | 12:00 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Equal length tubular headers do a good job of giving the 991.2 more exhaust character. The stock log, double-walled, header does a good job of making it sound muddy. Just two peoples' experiences:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1102...l#post15349903
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1138...l#post15771623

And I'm with you on cats. I run and bike and breathing crappy exhaust fumes sucks.
Nice to know I’m not the only one, haha. I get real sensitive to exhaust fumes so when I smell catless cars, especially new shiny cars that emit a scent akin to an old car, I’m like “is nobody else smelling this?” Lmao.
Old 04-14-2019 | 09:26 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

I cant stand the rotten eggs smell. I was worried with 200 cell cats but they work perfectly. Doesnt smell any different from my wifes macan. The best part about catless for me is the mini fireballs that pop out in sport mode.... so awesome!
Old 04-14-2019 | 10:04 AM
Das14444
Pro

I must be immune to the smell - just doesnt bother me. My hearing is going, maybe my smell is too
:-)

cat delete for me !
Old 04-14-2019 | 11:06 AM
ChristopherM
Intermediate

Just bought my T Saturday. Haven’t got it home yet, getting PPF and window tint. First Porsche for me. Great to hear you’re enjoying yours so much!
Old 04-14-2019 | 09:16 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Sold my 18 GT3 and now loving my T...

Off to Hershey on Friday and will enjoy the solid two days of driving and break the 10,000km mark...
Old 04-14-2019 | 09:21 PM
rosenbergendo
Drifting

Getting my manual T RAS next week. Will do 200 cell Soul cats immediately and tune at 1000 miles. Pretty psyched!
Old 10-20-2019 | 08:06 PM
TYPE911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rosenbergendo
Getting my manual T RAS next week. Will do 200 cell Soul cats immediately and tune at 1000 miles. Pretty psyched!
How are you liking your T thus far, especially with the Soul Cats & Tune?

Strongly considering getting a Carrera T.
Never gave the car any mind, until a I did a 90 minute session @ PECLA in one. Wow I beat on that car harder than any 911 I ever drove and walked away impressed.
With the right mods, a modern day understated Hot-rod.
The following users liked this post:
Soul Performance (10-21-2019)
Old 10-20-2019 | 08:39 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by destaccado
I was fortunate to have a Carrera T all day yesterday that my dealer loaned me while they were doing the oil change on my GT3. I was pretty excited for the chance to drive the car that so many people from the earlier comparison reviews had raved about.

The thing that honestly stuck out most... The difference between Bose in my GT3 Touring and the stock audio system that the T had is night and day. After hearing so many people claim on these forums the difference was negligible I was surprised how inferior the stock system was. All I can think to explain it is that with the average 911 buyer age being 52, a lot of people must have hearing loss by that point in their lives. If you're torn between getting the relatively cheap Bose option or not and you like sound quality, definitely check the box. I now see the claims that there isn't much difference between the two as beyond laughable - especially at higher noise levels.

The best part about the T was knowing that I was abusing someone else's car so I wasn't afraid to drive it like I stole it. I got up to 270 kmph on the autobahn at which point it chirped some notification I didn't understand in German at me

- Engine. The Carrera T engine simply doesn't have the emotion of the 4.0 motor. Honestly, it sounds synthetic and even going up to 270 kmph it never sounded what I would call good. There's some nice induction noises but overall the motor sounds significantly worse than even my 991.1 S did.

- Acceleration. I was pleasantly surprised by how hard the Carrera T pulled from a stop. Honestly it didn't feel much, if any slower than the GT3 while I drove it on the street, probably due to the turbo and torque.

- Gearbox. The gearbox was pleasantly surprising. I never used 7th gear and honestly didn't really even notice it was there. The clutch and gear shift pattern felt instantly similar to the GT3 and while the spacing might be a bit closer, I didn't notice it only driving on the street.

- Steering. It felt a little more numb than the GT3 but this might be my imagination.

- Suspension. The car felt very stable all the way to the speeds I reached. Maybe a tad bit more float than a GT3 but a tad bit more comfort as well.

- Brakes. Good enough for the autobahn.

Overall = the Carrera T is a disappointing car showing the sad direction the new 911's all seem to be taking. The Carrera T would never find it's way to my garage, even in a world where the GT3 didn't exist. It was simply too pedestrian looking, too pedestrian sounding and honestly lacked the emotion you get driving an older Porsche or a GT3. Further, it didn't feel that much more comfortable. I'm confident I could daily drive my GT3 in 99% of the situations I could daily drive the Carrera T in. The T isn't a car that you get to supplement your GT3 as a daily driver, it's another toy that you buy - probably because you don't have a GT3. ...only you get bored with this toy a couple of days after Christmas and then don't bother to ask your parents to buy you some new batteries.

Regardless of what they try to label it, it's still a 991.2 with a Carrera turbo motor put in there to satisfy emission purposes and I can't help but think the comparison reviewers gave it a better shake than it deserved because of all the access and free fun Porsche gave them. Give me a paid trip to test out the next product with Walter Rohrl and I promise to have a higher opinion too!
One goes wrong in comparing any Carrera to a GT car. They'll never be comparable. A 991.2 Carrera T is of course going to fall flat when comparing something like the engine to the motorsports 4.0. And yet the base 3.0 engine is a lively and pleasing motor, I think. One of the most linear power deliveries of any turbo engine I've experienced. I have a T at the moment, I drive it into New York City. I park it places, I don't have protective film on any of the car, I carry a spare tire in the frunk, along with a jack and tools. It has small brakes so I can run a smaller wheel. Those things do not exchange with the 991.2 GT3 I had, nor the 991.1 GT3's. Different tools. No one who lives where the roads are smooth and goes to the track often would claim a Carrera T is superior to a GT3 in any way really.
Old 10-20-2019 | 09:00 PM
Norge911
Rennlist Member

Note, this is an old thread that started in the 991 GT3 forum and most of the earlier comments are from GT3 owners. Ceepe said it well and we know by know the T is well respected.
the Carrera T at car and driver lightening lap, the T is 6 seconds behind a 2018 GT3 and 3 seconds behind a 991.1 GT3. This is on lesser tires.

nice hp and torque curves in post #126 shows what the 3.0 motor potential. Wonder what the T would do with a $1500 tune and stickier tires.

Last edited by Norge911; 10-20-2019 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-24-2019 | 04:02 PM
DenaMezger
Intermediate

"The T isn't a car that you get to supplement your GT3 as a daily driver, it's another toy that you buy - probably because you don't have a GT3"

That statement above is what I think a bunch of new 911 owners think.. They only feel like the GT3 is the only car in the lineup that makes any sense, but yet they'll never even touch 80% of the cars capabilities.
I have friends who track and are amazing drivers and they say you'll never reach the potential of a GT car on the streets. This is why guys get GT3's and suddenly realize they're in over their heads in payments, and no where to drive their track focused GT cars. This is why there are over 300 used GT3's on the Porsche USA website. $1500/mo payments add up quick when you bought too much car for Instagram photos. Pretty sure PDK has to do with the amount of used cars, but I'm guessing it also has to deal with people only focusing on GT3's as their entry to Porchse and realizing it's too much car for them. I know guys with 964RS, GT3 track builds and they say base Carrera is one of the funnest cars. Hell some of them are looking for PDK 991.1/2 carreras to drive around.

That above statement is just one of someone who values the materialism of the car versus the driving experience, and probably views the car as an investment.

I was just telling my close friend with a 997.2 GT3 that we don't need GT3's to feel the Porsche experience. You could easily get a Carrera S/4S/GTS and have an amazing time as a DD and spirited drives.

GT3 to Carrera T is totally apples versus oranges.They were 2 cars with two totally different purposes and focus.
The following 2 users liked this post by DenaMezger:
S S (10-24-2019), Zeus993 (10-25-2019)
Old 10-24-2019 | 04:20 PM
GT3ZZZ
Racer

Originally Posted by DenaMezger
"The T isn't a car that you get to supplement your GT3 as a daily driver, it's another toy that you buy - probably because you don't have a GT3"

That statement above is what I think a bunch of new 911 owners think.. They only feel like the GT3 is the only car in the lineup that makes any sense, but yet they'll never even touch 80% of the cars capabilities.
I have friends who track and are amazing drivers and they say you'll never reach the potential of a GT car on the streets. This is why guys get GT3's and suddenly realize they're in over their heads in payments, and no where to drive their track focused GT cars. This is why there are over 300 used GT3's on the Porsche USA website. $1500/mo payments add up quick when you bought too much car for Instagram photos. Pretty sure PDK has to do with the amount of used cars, but I'm guessing it also has to deal with people only focusing on GT3's as their entry to Porchse and realizing it's too much car for them. I know guys with 964RS, GT3 track builds and they say base Carrera is one of the funnest cars. Hell some of them are looking for PDK 991.1/2 carreras to drive around.

That above statement is just one of someone who values the materialism of the car versus the driving experience, and probably views the car as an investment.

I was just telling my close friend with a 997.2 GT3 that we don't need GT3's to feel the Porsche experience. You could easily get a Carrera S/4S/GTS and have an amazing time as a DD and spirited drives.

GT3 to Carrera T is totally apples versus oranges.They were 2 cars with two totally different purposes and focus.
My T with 7MT is running 650PS with tune, bigger turbos intercoolers and intakes. On the road (which is where I use it) a 991.2 GT3 really wouldn't see where it went.
The following users liked this post:
Das14444 (10-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Drive in the Carrera T