Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 GTS Mod Finale

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 PM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds good too hearing the whine and then watching it glow was therapeutic. better than watching a fish tank.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:51 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Plays great for me!
Great, wasn't sure how to post a video so glad it worked. Had to clip it to make the file size smaller.
Old 04-12-2019, 03:45 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Time to add Aquamist injection system
Old 04-12-2019, 03:53 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,115 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by vipertom 1970
Time to add Aquamist injection system
I am a fan of Methanol as I used it on my Supra-but have not heard of many people using it on the 991.2 platform. Is anyone using it with any success?
Old 04-12-2019, 06:18 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Im wondering what the Pure turbo upgrade will produce with the increased flow capacity of the stock turbos. They look identical on the outside and can be driven while the tune is completely removed off the car. Personally I'd rather swap turbos then push the stock ones any harder.Very tempting!!
Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Wow, incredible power gain from the simple mods.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:30 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
I am a fan of Methanol as I used it on my Supra-but have not heard of many people using it on the 991.2 platform. Is anyone using it with any success?
I had it on my modified 350Z and loved it. You also get your $$ back by no using race fuel and really helps to cool the over all system.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:10 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

What cats are you using
Old 04-12-2019, 10:15 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
What cats are you using
Soul 200 cell.
Old 04-13-2019, 12:23 PM
MAC429
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=flickroll;15768035]I have done a number of performance mods to my 2018 GTS. They include Cobb tune, Soul 200 cell cats, Vektor headers, AMS intercoolers, and BMC air filter. I am officially done! Today I met up with the folks at Vektor and they ran the car on the dyno for Cobb Pro Tuner Junior from JRtunes.com who provided a custom Cobb ecu tune. The baseline max whp after all of the mods but before the tune was 469. After the mods but before the tune my butt dyno told me the car was about as fast as a Turbo, and I was spot on with that assessment. After Junior did his magic we came up with 498 whp. That equates to a stunning 573 crank hp (mt, so multiplier is 1.15), just 7 crank hp shy of the Turbo S! To top it off Junior indicated because of heat soaking during the runs that the car ought to put out well over 600 crank hp using cooler air as is usually found in a non dyno environment. The car is an absolute rocket and I’m very happy with it. I don’t have the plot showing the 498 hp run but here is one with 494:

Interesting post, so I have a couple of questions as I have a Targa GTS that I just picked up and am considering doing some tuning to it:

1)Why Soul cats? Allot of players out there in the 200 cell cat dept. for this car. Curious how you ended up getting those
2) Why headers? I didn't think there was much bang for the buck, and allot of shops I have spoken to say just do cats and tune if you want to bump power and have car sound a bit more aggressive..

Just curious as my local tuner in NJ claims he does Cobb tunes with no other mods and cars kick out about 100 crank HP (so that would put it at about 550 crank which is only 25 less than your dyno run) Even with heat soak deducted, 600hp is great, but is it worth and extra 50hp buy adding aftermarket intercoolers, and 5 to 6 grand of exhaust mods. (well of course its worth it!! ) but just wanted to ask your rationale.

Thanks

thanks.
Old 04-13-2019, 02:22 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 546 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by MAC429

1)Why Soul cats? Allot of players out there in the 200 cell cat dept. for this car. Curious how you ended up getting those
2) Why headers? I didn't think there was much bang for the buck, and allot of shops I have spoken to say just do cats and tune if you want to bump power and have car sound a bit more aggressive..

Just curious as my local tuner in NJ claims he does Cobb tunes with no other mods and cars kick out about 100 crank HP (so that would put it at about 550 crank which is only 25 less than your dyno run) Even with heat soak deducted, 600hp is great, but is it worth and extra 50hp buy adding aftermarket intercoolers, and 5 to 6 grand of exhaust mods. (well of course its worth it!! ) but just wanted to ask your rationale.

Thanks

I dug through the Vektor Performance Facebook to see what their shop car dyno'd for numbers. Completely stock, their C4S rated at 420hp crank put down about 330whp which is about 22.5% lower than crank. Some extra losses in there from being AWD. The GTS is rated at 450hp, so figure that would equate to about 360whp if we assume a 20% loss with this GTS being RWD. Flickrolls car is putting down about 135whp more than what an estimated stock GTS would put down on this dyno, or an estimated ~170 crank hp more which would put it at ~620 crank hp.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:07 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAC429
Interesting post, so I have a couple of questions as I have a Targa GTS that I just picked up and am considering doing some tuning to it:

Thanks

thanks.
MAC429, hope I can adequately answer your questions. First, I love tinkering with my 911. It’s therapy for me, and mod money aside, I enjoy seeing how the car is put together and the best way to learn all of that is to take it apart Also, I had a goal of making the car ‘custom’ for me, which includes more than just performance mods.

Having had previous Cobb experience with other Porches, I knew that once Cobb figured out how to unlock the door to the ecu I’d put a tune on it. I also wanted to free up the exhaust some and take out as much exhaust flow resistance as I could. I had no idea where I’d wind up with hp, and only found the answer to that last Thursday.

Anyway, regarding the Soul cats vs someone else, at the time of purchase of the cats I did a lot of reading and found that most aftermarket cats use the same core so for me it boiled down to price. A year ago Christmas, soon after I acquired the car, Soul had a really good sale going so I bought a set and then put them away to install later. Once I put them on the butt dyno told me there was more power that I could not quantify. And the exhaust note brought a big grin to my face. So step one of freeing up the exhaust was accomplished, and maybe I’d do headers later. Need to add that the quality of the Soul cats is excellent and their customer service is excellent as well.

Later I found a helluva deal on Amazon for a BMC air filter so I snatched that up as well and put it aside for installation later.

I wasn’t sure what I’d do regarding headers, if anything, so I had a pause with mods except I did install the BMC and then started running Stage 2 93. The car was starting to really come alive, not that a stock one is dead by any stretch of the imagination. So then I started thinking more seriously about headers. Was doing a lot of reading, again, and I came across Vektor. They are in my backyard so I paid them a visit and met the owner, Chris, and was very impressed with him and his staff. Chris is a totally above board guy and he quickly earned my respect and trust. I saw some plots of hp using Vektor headers, so that plus the quality and the exquisite workmanship that goes into their headers was enough for me to buy a set. When I first started the car after installation my reaction to the sound was ‘holy sh**, this thing sounds GOOD!’. And then during the first drive the butt dyno told me there was more. And my ears told me the exhaust system was flowing lots better as I was hearing sounds I had not heard before, mainly a lot of detail with the sound of the turbos.

Regarding the intercoolers, what I read about them is that some tuners won’t touch a car without upgraded intercoolers. And with cores that are 50% larger than stock, intake air has to be cooler, by how much I have no idea, but cooler is better. So nothing scientific as to why I put them on, it’s something I wanted to do, and I wasn’t going to do a custom tune without them.

I have driven a 991.2 Turbo as well as a 991.2 Turbo S and after all mod work was done but before the custom tune my butt dyno told me the car was about as fast as a Turbo. And the baseline dyno run confirmed that it was putting out just about exactly the same hp as the Turbo.

Anyway, that’s how the journey went. I believe each component added ‘value’, but I have no idea how much as I didn’t do any dynos until last week.

Flick
Old 04-13-2019, 06:12 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spdracerut

I dug through the Vektor Performance Facebook to see what their shop car dyno'd for numbers. Completely stock, their C4S rated at 420hp crank put down about 330whp which is about 22.5% lower than crank. Some extra losses in there from being AWD. The GTS is rated at 450hp, so figure that would equate to about 360whp if we assume a 20% loss with this GTS being RWD. Flickrolls car is putting down about 135whp more than what an estimated stock GTS would put down on this dyno, or an estimated ~170 crank hp more which would put it at ~620 crank hp.
Spdracerut your numbers match what I came up with. Would love to know what the car can put out in a non heat soaked environment....which gives me an idea
Old 04-13-2019, 08:08 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I purchased a modified 991.2 GTS and have similar gains . Love the power and sound and the spool of the turbos. My system is catless and I am struggling with the dreaded "check engine light". I am working with the tuner but so far no luck. I may have to put sport cats on to pass emissions.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:42 PM
///M3THOD
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of comments I have regarding the mods;

Soul uses the smallest core of all the aftermarket options, which is why I am assuming they are marginally cheaper than the other offerings. They'll openly disclose this if you ask, 120mm (4.724") vs 130 (5.118")

Increasing the size of the IC cores doesn't necessarily equate to a reduction of IAT. The placement of of IC's isn't ideal and increasing the thickness and fin density may not directly translate to a decrease in IAT's if the airflow isn't sufficient. I still haven't seen any datalogs demonstrating their effectiveness. It would be nice to see some of these manufacturers backing up claims with real life data. Im not doubting they work, but we just don't have any data (or any I've seen thus far) of their effectiveness on a car in motion.

Any header that offers a proper merge collector should flow better. Vektor utilizes a rotary type collector and equal length runners, which is the best of both worlds. The header design becomes more important if you tune the car and its operating above stock power levels.

Last edited by ///M3THOD; 04-13-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 991.2 GTS Mod Finale