991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT2 bucket in 991.2

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2019 | 10:40 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

So plugging the stock seat belt rec into the car gets rid of weight sensor code or it just does not light up?

Edited
Old 11-03-2019 | 05:22 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the write-up, that's great! I just bought a set of these seats too! Installed them in my 991.2 GTS today. I also need to solve the airbag light. I'd love to meet up for coffee maybe sometime and discuss?

Originally Posted by .moo.
There also appears to be seat sensor on the padding but I can't confirm if they are.
This is for the seat heaters! I've tried them, and they work!

Comfort I would rate 8.8/10 (10 being super plush). Compare to T 4 ways being 10/10. It's comfortable even on a long drive, but shoulders can be a bit stiff afterwards.
I agree with all of your points, especially this one. This is the biggest drawback so far, but otherwise they are amazing!

Also, you've probably noticed as well, but the Ultimate Cup holders don't work great with these seats. The forward/backward seat adjustment lever gets in the way, and it makes it hard to adjust the seat (especially on the passenger side). =(
Old 11-03-2019 | 09:45 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JSETarga
So plugging the stock seat belt rec into the car gets rid of weight sensor code or it just does not light up?

Edited
weight sensor code & does not light up seems like the same thing. But yes, nothing lights up. In sort, you're basically telling the car you still have the original seat in the car but in reality the seat itself is different. Again, not sure the functionality of the side airbag though.
Old 11-03-2019 | 09:51 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by marinb
Thanks for the write-up, that's great! I just bought a set of these seats too! Installed them in my 991.2 GTS today. I also need to solve the airbag light. I'd love to meet up for coffee maybe sometime and discuss?

Love to. I'll be back home on the 14th. We can maybe meet up at Alice on Sunday morning.

Did you also reach out to Ed for the side bolster cover? He contacted me asking if that's the source of my seat and someone else inquired him for the seat cover. If so, black touring is the stitching you'll need to match.

This is for the seat heaters! I've tried them, and they work!
Nice! I wished they were occupancy sensors though!
Old 11-03-2019 | 10:21 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the details. They are such great looking seats and a relatively comfortable seat but not as comfortable as the 4 way as you mentioned.

I would probably have them in my 997, however two issues, one of which you mentioned have prevented me from doing so. The first being that they sit too high. With the 4 way seats I have a couple of fingers if not more between my head and the roof in a sunroof car. However in the bucket seat car my head is touching the roof. The second issue is how much the seat is raked. The bottom cushion has a very steep angle which does dig into the back of your legs a bit more than a 4 way seat car which is a bit more flat but is still supportive. For me the 918 seats are still the most comfortable buckets that I have been in, although I would like a chance to sit in the CGT seats. Those should be similar to the 4 ways in the seat angle and I believe they don't sit as high as well, but they are lacking the side airbag which is a big deal especially if you are daily driving the car or using it more than a weekend car.
Old 11-03-2019 | 02:51 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Love to. I'll be back home on the 14th. We can maybe meet up at Alice on Sunday morning.
Yeah, sounds good! Let's coordinate on DM.

Did you also reach out to Ed for the side bolster cover? He contacted me asking if that's the source of my seat and someone else inquired him for the seat cover. If so, black touring is the stitching you'll need to match.
Didn't know about this. How do I get a set of side bolsters covers? I'd like to get them for both the driver and passenger side.
Old 11-03-2019 | 05:55 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

…I need to look into this when I get home from business trip. Not sure how the anchor of the buckle is mounted to the actual receptacle. All I need to do is swap the anchor which has the bend for the bucket seat.
  • Or maybe retrofit GT2 bending buckle to the 991.2 buckle with the harness.
…I think you and I are thinking of the same thing. Re-Use the GT2 bucket anchor, retrofit the original cable harness & receptacle to the GT2 bucket anchor without taking apart the receptacle. I think this might be the safest way. Obviously my long term is to fix the buckle issue so it's not putting stress on the seat. I'll take a look when I get home.

I think John Gaydos (now at Soul?) has been involved in or knows about this upgrade. Would be curious for his thoughts, if he's willing to share.
^ This seems like the hot setup to me...and makes me want to buy an extra front US passenger seatbelt receptacle if I do this conversion to pilfer it for the actual buckle/wiring and then see if that can be mated to the Euro GT2 buckle's lower anchor/stem—as the Euro buckle is useless on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

• This one originally I wasn't entirely fond of. He suggested to mount the original receptacle with the 2 harness plugged in underneath the seat, and leave & use the GT2 buckle as is. Basically it would act as the passenger buckle is always plugged in. Thinking of this again, this may not be a bad idea.

Interesting idea. I guess the questions become...

What is the second part of the 2-part harness reading? An occupancy sensor seem logical, but prompts a question as to why you aren't getting an airbag light while using the US harness with the Euro seat unless the Euro seat has the sensor but (for some reason) no output for a Euro car?
With the above scenario...will the car register no one in the passenger seat when the US buckle is buckled but hidden under the seat—and fail to fire the smart airbags for a passenger in the event of an accident? Or will it do the opposite, and fire the passenger airbags even if no one is over there?

• See if the 918 Style LWB coming from GT cars made for 991.2 if the passenger receptacle have 2 harness wiring. If it does, it might work and the buckle should fit the GT2 bucket. The new LWB receptacle are few mm longer than the GT2, but both has the bend on the anchor.
Should be discoverable with the help of the great Mooty (or some other modern-day seat hoarder.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
I would probably have them in my 997, however two issues, one of which you mentioned have prevented me from doing so. The first being that they sit too high. With the 4 way seats I have a couple of fingers if not more between my head and the roof in a sunroof car. However in the bucket seat car my head is touching the roof. The second issue is how much the seat is raked. The bottom cushion has a very steep angle which does dig into the back of your legs a bit more than a 4 way seat car which is a bit more flat but is still supportive. For me the 918 seats are still the most comfortable buckets that I have been in, although I would like a chance to sit in the CGT seats. Those should be similar to the 4 ways in the seat angle and I believe they don't sit as high as well, but they are lacking the side airbag which is a big deal especially if you are daily driving the car or using it more than a weekend car.
^ I had the same beef with GT3/GT2 seats in both 986/996 and 987/997 cars, but—and I could be wrong about this—they seem to be mounted lower in 981/991 seats. Drove a 991.2 Cabrio with them (with heat!) years ago and liked them, and found them seeming to be lower in another 991. Could be wrong, and would be curious to hear others weigh in on this.

If too high, I understand there are aftermarket rails to get them down.
Old 11-03-2019 | 11:50 PM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

Didn't know about this. How do I get a set of side bolsters covers? I'd like to get them for both the driver and passenger side.
Reach out to @Crazy Eddie . He's local in Los Altos so you can pick it up from him.

Originally Posted by stout

What is the second part of the 2-part harness reading? An occupancy sensor seem logical, but prompts a question as to why you aren't getting an airbag light while using the US harness with the Euro seat unless the Euro seat has the sensor but (for some reason) no output for a Euro car?
With the above scenario...will the car register no one in the passenger seat when the US buckle is buckled but hidden under the seat—and fail to fire the smart airbags for a passenger in the event of an accident? Or will it do the opposite, and fire the passenger airbags even if no one is over there?
I actually have no idea how the car would see it as. I "believe" the whole functionality of the airbag is based on the occupancy sensor; hence, you get the passenger airbag lights on or off above by the garage opener. BUT given the current situation I'm not sure if it's on or off. I also forgot to check if the "passenger airbag" sensor is on or off above the garage opener. I guess I'll check when I get home.
Old 11-04-2019 | 01:34 AM
jimmymoO
Rennlist Member

I think John Gaydos (now at Soul?) has been involved in or knows about this upgrade. Would be curious for his thoughts, if he's willing to share.
Assume he's on the forum. What's his username?
Old 11-04-2019 | 01:38 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

I actually have no idea how the car would see it as. I "believe" the whole functionality of the airbag is based on the occupancy sensor; hence, you get the passenger airbag lights on or off above by the garage opener. BUT given the current situation I'm not sure if it's on or off. I also forgot to check if the "passenger airbag" sensor is on or off above the garage opener. I guess I'll check when I get home.
Ah, that's a key data point and, given that light's location, I must admit I rarely look at it. I looked at it more often in the GT4, when I was using a child seat up front, but I just about never look in my 911, or notice it on or off as I have in some of our other cars.

Could provide a key data point here, as I am wondering if the passenger occupancy sensor is in the Euro seat. Odd that there wouldn't be one (as who wants to waste good airbags), but similarly odd that Porsche would make a buckle without wiring for one. Will be interesting to see what that light says if an adult is sitting next to you while you're driving the car.

Assume he's on the forum. What's his username?
John is posting under "Soul Performance."
Old 11-04-2019 | 05:29 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

^ This seems like the hot setup to me...and makes me want to buy an extra front US passenger seatbelt receptacle if I do this conversion to pilfer it for the actual buckle/wiring and then see if that can be mated to the Euro GT2 buckle's lower anchor/stem—as the Euro buckle is useless on this side of the Atlantic anyway.

Should be discoverable with the help of the great Mooty (or some other modern-day seat hoarder.

^ I had the same beef with GT3/GT2 seats in both 986/996 and 987/997 cars, but—and I could be wrong about this—they seem to be mounted lower in 981/991 seats. Drove a 991.2 Cabrio with them (with heat!) years ago and liked them, and found them seeming to be lower in another 991. Could be wrong, and would be curious to hear others weigh in on this.

If too high, I understand there are aftermarket rails to get them down.
Thanks Pete. I will have to see if someone local already has lowering brackets installed on them. I know people with the seats, but finding someone with the brackets may be more challenging.

Also, just got my 000, excited to start reading! Hopefully you guys can feature the 997 GT3 at some point, I would really enjoy that. Excited to read more about the 997 GT2.
Old 11-11-2019 | 12:57 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

991.2 T driver buckle assembly has 1x wiring sensor but passenger side have 2x sensors connector.
What if you disconnect the white connector on the 2x sensor connector (i.e. effectively making it a 1x wire sensor)? If that works, then maybe you can just get the driver's side 1x buckle and mount it on the passenger side?

Old 11-11-2019 | 02:15 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Default This worked on my 991.2 GTS

The following 2 users liked this post by lockie:
P1Designs (11-12-2019), tourenwagen (01-07-2020)
Old 11-11-2019 | 02:57 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lockie
Awesome looking seats! So how did you solve the airbag light?
Old 11-11-2019 | 12:28 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Awesome looking seats! So how did you solve the airbag light?
I will check, however I believe my mechanic moved the electric module from under my OEM passenger seat and moved it to these seats. That apparently resolved the issue. For some reason that was not necessary on the drivers seat. I will ask him this week , however I know that he did move the electronics from the factory seats to the GT2 Bucket Seats. When I want to put the OEM seats back in, he would have to move the electronics back . The Inserts were from Kim at P1Designs , who did an amazing job.
The following users liked this post:
P1Designs (11-12-2019)

Quick Reply: GT2 bucket in 991.2