Girodisc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DS2500 Ferodo brake pads

Originally Posted by mikex25

the DS2500 has been out for a while in other applications, but I have yet to see a review on them in this platform. I hate the noises Pagid produces on the street, great on track, looking for a good crossover pad.
Installed the Ferodo DS2500 pads on my 2014 C2S and have been very satisfied both on the track and on the street. Just finished a track day at the Streets of Willow with the POC and had zero brake fade no matter how hard I pushed the brakes. On the street I'll occasionally get a little squeal but not enough to pull the DS2500's off for street use. Bonus they also dust less than OEM. When it's time to replace pads and rotors I'll be going with the larger Girodisc rotors in the front with the Tarrett Engineering extension calipher studs which will allow me to use larger pads on the front and the DS2500 pads.
Old 06-29-2018, 02:20 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR
After tracking a GT4 with PCCBs extensively for almost 2 years I guess I'm just spoiled. The GTS actually stops fine even with the stock setup it's just the damn mushy pedal that's messing with my head along with nearly 2mm of stock brake pad that's going bye-bye with every track day. But I'm not going down that road again either (rollbar/harness)

Giro's, tweener pads like the DS2500 or OEM GT3 and maybe brakelines (to help solidify the pedal?) would give me a little more confidence / make the occasional trackday more enjoyable and hopefully keep the pad noise livable on the street.
I think I'm going to try brake lines with the next brake fluid flush. I have been using Castrol SRF and can't say that I've ever had brake-fade because of the fluid. GT4 with PCCB sounds like the ultimate track weapon.
Old 06-29-2018, 03:02 PM
AAK GTS
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The tires used will also determine how aggressive a brake pad you should choose. If using an R-Compound tire I would use a dedicated track pad to maximize braking whereas if you are using the
P-Zero or Mich 4S I would opt for OEM or next aggressive pad compound like the Carbotech XP8 or DS2500.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

it’s a constant back and forth of compromise between what’s good for the track or street, isn’t it? I drive my car on the street, but, lately, with the rollbar, seat and harnesses, it has become an overweight track car that I sometimes use on the weekend. I say overweight because I refuse to gut it despite my best intentions. It’s a base 991.1 carrera and has plenty of everything for the track. The brakes and handling are incredible. I find myself keeping up if not driving better than corvettes, but looking for longetivity with the brakes is a challenge. Hoping girodiscs and bigger pads help. Will switch to a better race pad when I outbrake the new equipment.
Yep, I have Tarett Caliper Studs front and rear and just swap out pads for track days...the Ferodo DS 2500 pads where an experiment that didn’t work for me on my GTS. They may work for,guys with less power cars, tracks that are not hard on brakes and guys in slower run groups.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:13 AM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whoddoo
Installed the Ferodo DS2500 pads on my 2014 C2S and have been very satisfied both on the track and on the street. Just finished a track day at the Streets of Willow with the POC and had zero brake fade no matter how hard I pushed the brakes. On the street I'll occasionally get a little squeal but not enough to pull the DS2500's off for street use. Bonus they also dust less than OEM. When it's time to replace pads and rotors I'll be going with the larger Girodisc rotors in the front with the Tarrett Engineering extension calipher studs which will allow me to use larger pads on the front and the DS2500 pads.
Originally Posted by mdrums

Yep, I have Tarett Caliper Studs front and rear and just swap out pads for track days...the Ferodo DS 2500 pads where an experiment that didn’t work for me on my GTS. They may work for,guys with less power cars, tracks that are not hard on brakes and guys in slower run groups.
this is the exact pad I’m looking for. One that won’t get destroyed in a few track days and civilized enough for the street. It probably didn’t work for mdrums because he is too fast.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by mikex25

this is the exact pad I’m looking for. One that won’t get destroyed in a few track days and civilized enough for the street. It probably didn’t work for mdrums because he is too fast.
LOL....not so sure about that....probably the track you run at might be easier on brakes than the tracks I run at....but I really don’t think there is a real dual purpose pad for street driving and all out track driving. Never hurts to try the Ferodo ds2500...you never know what works for,you until you try it...
Old 07-02-2018, 12:13 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently running the DS2500 on my 2014 C2S (POC Class - M3, PCA Class - CC12) on tracks that are not easy on brakes. Willow Springs Int'l Raceway and Chuckwalla to name a few and have been satisfied with the results. Acceptable wear on pads and rotors after 3 track events and 1 AX with no fad or issues with hard braking. Work well on the street as well with only occasional squeal. YMMV but they are working well for me and will be using them again when time to replace. The closest I have found to a street/track pad on the market.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:57 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

YES - sleeves for sure on the Tarett studs I always insist that they are a part of an install.

PM/Text/Mail for pkg coston GiroDisc and Pads/Studs
Old 07-09-2018, 08:23 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Here’s the update: For the front, I installed, as planned, Girodisc slotted rotors (A1-032) 350mm rotors with 991.1 GT3 OEM front brake pads. They fit perfectly. Even though my car is a base Carrera, I had already previously installed front calipers, brake discs and pads for a 991.1 Carrera S (with appropriate brake lines) using the kit from Suncoastparts.com. My initial concerns with using Girodisc is that I did not want to use caliper spacers, but another Rennlist member, CarreraFahrer, indicated that the A1-032 rotors do not need caliper spacers since the hat is smaller (and will allow the use of the bigger GT3 pad. I have not tried them on the track, but not further modification was needed to make them fit. Before installing the new hardware, I took my time and cleaned the hub and spacers the best I could. Here are two pictures of the front with the OEM 5mm spacers installed:

For the rears, I had ordered Sebro slotted and coated rotors. Apparently, they were for a Carrera S. Even though the diameter and width rear rotors are the same for a base Carrera and Carrera S (330mm), the actual design of the rotors differ. They are made such that the contact area of the pad and the pad itself is larger on the Carrera S. Even though the part numbers on the Porsche parts diagram for the caliper are different for a base Carrera and Carrera S, they are the same caliper from my research. Only the pads and brake discs are different. I saw these pictures uploaded in a different thread that shows the differences despite measuring the same:

Anyway, I had initially decided to stick with the base Carrera OEM rear pad; however, I learned that the size of the base pad did not come into contact with the entire area of the Carrera S Sebro rotor that I bought (which I had initially thought was the same for a Carrera or Carrera S). After learning the pad was too small, I brought the car to the dealer this morning (since I already had an appointment to install a new battery and rebalance my wheels) and asked the tech to install Carrera S pads and confirm they fit. Sure enough, he texted me right after the install and said the fit perfectly. Picture of the rear:

The streak marks clearly show that the base Carrera pad was too small. Anyway, I’m glad to report that Carrera S rotors and pads fit on a base Carrera and the larger covered surface area is worth it in my opinion since I track the car, but wanted to stick with OEM parts since they are easy to get and always in stock, for the most part. That said, if I want a more aggressive pad for the track (which may be coming since I have been using the car on the street far less nowadays), that is an option now. The only option for a rear base Carrera pad was pagid. Now that I know Carrera S size equipment fits on the rear and since there are options for track pads for a Carrera S, we’ll see what happens once I burn through these pads.

For those wondering why I did not installed Girodiscs on the rear, those do require caliper spacers and I do not want to use caliper spacers. The fronts do not needs caliper spacers with model number A1-032. Hope this helps anyone considering similar brake upgrades. Obviously, I thought it was worth it, but I’ve been bitten by the track bug.
The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (12-28-2019)
Old 07-09-2018, 08:57 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan

my understanding is that my choices are limited and I didn’t want pagids. I could use the girodisc with standard Carrera S pads, but want to experiment. If a gt3 pad is good for a gt3, it has to be good for my carrera.
Mike (@Giro) nor Clark (at Apex) would recommend stock oem pads (GT3 or S) with slotted GD rotors FOR THE Track! You will leave terrible residue on your rotors if you don’t use a track pad such as P-29s (yellow) or others that have been mentioned here! Ask me how I know! Don’t do it! Buy a track pad for the track and an oem pad for the street. Takes 10 mins per wheel to swap them out! This is probably why GD is coming out with their own pads!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:01 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Why didn’t you want to use caliper spacers? I’ve been using them for two years and multiple rotor changes without any issues. Obviously Girodisc sells their rotors with spacers as necessary. Just curious.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:05 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51

Mike (@Giro) nor Clark (at Apex) would recommend stock oem pads (GT3 or S) with slotted GD rotors FOR THE Track! You will leave terrible residue on your rotors if you don’t use a track pad such as P-29s (yellow) or others that have been mentioned here! Ask me how I know! Don’t do it! Buy a track pad for the track and an oem pad for the street. Takes 10 mins per wheel to swap them out! This is probably why GD is coming out with their own pads!
oh geez. Thanks for the input. Was it just a residue or did it cause an imbalance or improper wear? What are you using for pads? I read that pagids lose effectiveness after becoming 50% worn or so. Don’t really care that much about squealing. What do you recommend?
Old 07-09-2018, 09:18 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Mike at Girodisc told me last week that they will soon be offering brake pads with their own custom formulation. These will be track oriented pads with bite slightly less than PFC 08s, but more rotor friendly. Definitely worth a try IMO.
Because of “centrifugal force” (is that the right term?) that may be placed on the caliper studs. I’m a bit obsessive compulsive and, even if they spacers are most likely fine, didn’t want to use them where unnecessary on front. I may rethink my position for the rears.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:19 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

There is not much stress on the spacers or the studs and bolts so I don’t think that’s a concern. The reason why member RonD didn’t want to use spacers was so he could use the stock length Tarett caliper studs for both rotors. I also like that idea as well.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:22 AM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
There is not much stress on the spacers or the studs and bolts so I don’t think that’s a concern. The reason why member RonD didn’t want to use spacers was so he could use the stock length Tarett caliper studs for both rotors. I also like that idea as well.
I'm still wondering if Tarett studs in the rear are an option with the Giros. I see no reason studs wouldn't function properly with a spacer. I guess it get's down to A) Does Tarett offer the correct length studs and B) can one get the rear calipers over the studs? I had the oversize Giros on a Cayman R and I remember the lines would barely allow the calipers to clear the studs. I'm a little paranoid of using different rotor/pad combinations on the track, no bad personal experience to base that on though. I guess I need to give Clark a call.

Quick Reply: Girodisc Rotors