Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Girodisc Rotors (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1077521-girodisc-rotors.html)

awrryan 06-26-2018 02:07 PM

Girodisc Rotors

I was at Sebring last weekend and ended up warping all of my rotors. Not sure if it’s because I didn’t do a proper cool down in extremely warm (+90 degree weather) or because they are at or past minimum. I just ordered Girodisc rotors for the front (Part No. A1-032) which is a 350mm disc, but with a smaller hat that will allow me to use a GT3-size pad in my OEM Carrera S front brake calipers. I also bought Sebro slotted rear discs because I was concerned about using spacers on the rear calipers to be able to fit 350mm Girodisc rear rotors. That said, I am also probably being a bit lazy also: I have Tarett brake caliper studs and did not feel like swapping them out for longer studs that will allow the use of spacers. Time is really short these days so I thought it would just be easier to use Sebro OEM-size rear rotors for now. For pads, I am considering using an OEM GT3 pad for the fronts and OEM Carrera pads for the rear. My rear pads still have plenty of life left. I’ll report back after the install. Not expecting signifant braking improvements, but I am expecting better heat dissipation and less wear.

AAK GTS 06-26-2018 03:23 PM

Don't you have to use a spacer on the front calipers to be able to fit 350mm Girodisc rotors?

arter 06-26-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AAK GTS (Post 15104580)
Don't you have to use a spacer on the front calipers to be able to fit 350mm Girodisc rotors?

not for 991.2 ( which comes with 350s)

991.2GTS 06-26-2018 04:08 PM

How good is the OEM gt3 pad compared to the regular Carrera pad. Other than the size different, is the compound also different? I'm using the Pagid Yellow and I will probably switch back to OEM after track season (the squeaking is crazy). I'm also using the Girodisc A1-032

awrryan 06-26-2018 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by AAK GTS (Post 15104580)

No. Not for the specific model that I purchased. Confirmed by Girodisc and Clark from Apex.

awrryan 06-26-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 991.2GTS (Post 15104695)
How good is the OEM gt3 pad compared to the regular Carrera pad. Other than the size different, is the compound also different? I'm using the Pagid Yellow and I will probably switch back to OEM after track season (the squeaking is crazy). I'm also using the Girodisc A1-032

I'm not certain whether the compound is different; however, I researched that the GT3 pad is physically larger than the Carrera S pad that I currently have on the car. I am not certain whether it provides greater stopping ability or whether the compound is different, but I am not expecting any greater stopping distance. This is simply an exercise in addressing heat dissipation/cooling and longevity. What I like about my proposed brake pad combo is that pads are readily available at a dealer. The issue with Pagids that I heard about is that, when half worn, the performance drops off significantly.

mikex25 06-26-2018 10:05 PM

I myself am going to eventually do the GiroDisc and would like to know your review regarding mixing the GT3 and Carrera pads. I am still searching for a trackable street pad.

awrryan 06-26-2018 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by mikex25 (Post 15105394)
I myself am going to eventually do the GiroDisc and would like to know your review regarding mixing the GT3 and Carrera pads. I am still searching for a trackable street pad.

my understanding is that my choices are limited and I didn’t want pagids. I could use the girodisc with standard Carrera S pads, but want to experiment. If a gt3 pad is good for a gt3, it has to be good for my carrera.

mikex25 06-26-2018 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by awrryan (Post 15105434)

my understanding is that my choices are limited and I didn’t want pagids. I could use the girodisc with standard Carrera S pads, but want to experiment. If a gt3 pad is good for a gt3, it has to be good for my carrera.

Pagids on the street is very noisy so I’m looking for a compromise. I hear the Ferodo DS2500 is an in between pad but I have no experiences with it. Definitely update this post on your thoughts of the GT3 pads.

awrryan 06-26-2018 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by mikex25 (Post 15105441)

Pagids on the street is very noisy so I’m looking for a compromise. I hear the Ferodo DS2500 is an in between pad but I have no experiences with it. Definitely update this post on your thoughts of the GT3 pads.

will do. Don’t care about noise. I heard that, when they are half worn, they lose stopping performance.

Vise 06-26-2018 10:51 PM

I have a new set of Girodisc rotors (350mm front + rear) sitting in my garage along with a set of Ferodo DS2500's on the way. Considered going with the GT3 pads but after talking with Clark at Apex decided to give the DS2500 a shot, looking for a good combination pad that will work for daily use but with improved performance at the track.

Hopefully get everything installed early next week, will report back...

Sidvicious7 06-27-2018 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Vise (Post 15105500)
I have a new set of Girodisc rotors (350mm front + rear) sitting in my garage along with a set of Ferodo DS2500's on the way. Considered going with the GT3 pads but after talking with Clark at Apex decided to give the DS2500 a shot, looking for a good combination pad that will work for daily use but with improved performance at the track.

I upgraded my rotors with GiroDisc almost 1 1/2 years ago. I also upgraded the front pads with GT3 pads. I didn’t like the dust the OEM pads put out so I elected to try the Carbotech pads. I must add there is minimal dust and great stopping power.https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...0b83c9d21.jpeg
GT3 Front Cartotech Pads vs OEM Pads.
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...48db9fcd5.jpeg

Greater Surface area on GT3 Pads

mikex25 06-27-2018 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by Vise (Post 15105500)

this is the setup I am looking for. Keep us posted on how they perform at the track and noises on the street!

Pep!RRRR 06-27-2018 08:23 AM

Mike at Girodisc told me last week that they will soon be offering brake pads with their own custom formulation. These will be track oriented pads with bite slightly less than PFC 08s, but more rotor friendly. Definitely worth a try IMO.

RDCR 06-27-2018 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mikex25 (Post 15105765)

this is the setup I am looking for. Keep us posted on how they perform at the track and noises on the street!

I'm waiting to hear how he likes the 2500s as well.