Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Girodisc Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:06 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Can the brake booster from a GT3 be retrofitted?
Old 10-06-2018, 12:43 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 571 Likes on 358 Posts

I've never heard of anyone doing it but I've never heard anyone say physically it can't be done either. I had a 997 GT3 MC put on a Cayman R which was a popular upgrade at the time and eliminated a similar condition with the braking system on that car.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
The brake pad certainly is part of this but I think the issue lies elsewhere. It's like that on the street and on the first lap out on track. I owned a GT350 that I tracked a lot and had the chance to drive a GT350R on track Monday. The GT350 has a much firmer pedal. The car I drove had the stock brake pads which I think are similar to the GT3 pad compound. I tend to think RDCR is onto something about the assistant and booster used on the car. Anyway the brakes work well I just prefer a firmer brake pedal earlier in the pedal travel.
make total sense...thanks!
Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Do they offer RL or PCA members a discount?
Yep...Clark at Apex is THE BEST to work with.
Old 10-06-2018, 08:21 PM
zoiks
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Can the brake booster from a GT3 be retrofitted?

My understanding is the 991.1 GT3 master cylinder is not a simple drop in upgrade like folks say on a 997.2. Supposedly you have to replace the whole system to move to the GT3 master cylinder. So, I stopped looking into that option. That didn't seem like a practical option.
The following users liked this post:
CarreraFahrer (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 01:14 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Just a quick update. I've now done 6 track days with this setup and it works very well. I was concerned about the balance of the braking using the OEM GT3 front brake compound with the OEM C2S rear brake compound and there are no issues. Because I'm not doing as many track days as I was in my Mustangs I'm going to stick with the stock compounds. I'm going to replace the rear brake pads now and will do so with the OEM compound.

Old 12-28-2019, 01:38 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Just a quick update. I've now done 6 track days with this setup and it works very well. I was concerned about the balance of the braking using the OEM GT3 front brake compound with the OEM C2S rear brake compound and there are no issues. Because I'm not doing as many track days as I was in my Mustangs I'm going to stick with the stock compounds. I'm going to replace the rear brake pads now and will do so with the OEM compound.

I have a set of the OEM GT3 front pads with 1 track day on them available. $200. Less than 1mm of pad wear
Old 01-02-2020, 08:58 AM
First991
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the Girodisc rotors are super durable. I didn’t get a chance to measure the pads but I can say that it’s noticeably much less wear over stock. Here’s some shots of the surface temps after a session at Laguna during the summer. Front is Girodisc and rear is stock, both running Pagid RS29 pads.

Front

Rear
Old 01-02-2020, 11:30 AM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

A couple of things to note on your temps above. The front rotors have much better brake cooling ducts and if your TC wasn't completely disabled it uses the rear brakes to control the car which can quickly overheat the rear brakes.
The following users liked this post:
koala (06-07-2020)
Old 01-03-2020, 12:08 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,275 Likes on 674 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
CarreraFaher...the mushy feeling is the pad...since you’re using Endless brake fluid...highly highly doubt you’re boiling fluid. The gt3 pad is still a street pad and the gt3 has way better brake cooling than a Carrera...so you rotor and pad is getting hotter and the pad gets mushy feeling. Boiling the fluid pedal will go to the floor.
I suggest Pagid RS29 Yellow for Track use pads.
I tried Pagid RS29 Yellows and they squeeled like a banshee.

I now have a Brembo GTS BBK 380 front and rear. If you want to know what the unicorn pad is, quiet on the street and epic on the track, best feel, superior bite. Endless ME20. I run Endless MX72+ on rear, and they aren't wearing at all. The MX72+ have never made a single sound ever. The ME20 on front occassionally on the street make the slightest little squeal. But it is less than the stock brakes made, and not as high pitched, so it is nothing.

But for the awesome stopping power they are epic. I also run Castrol SRF. Never boiled it once. I boiled the stock fluid on the street.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:14 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts

A couple of things to note on your temps above. The front rotors have much better brake cooling ducts and if your TC wasn't completely disabled it uses the rear brakes to control the car which can quickly overheat the rear brakes.
agreed. I never overheated, but noticed quicker wear in the rear as I was improving the first couple of years or so before I started turning off the traction control.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:15 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I tried Pagid RS29 Yellows and they squeeled like a banshee.

I now have a Brembo GTS BBK 380 front and rear. If you want to know what the unicorn pad is, quiet on the street and epic on the track, best feel, superior bite. Endless ME20. I run Endless MX72+ on rear, and they aren't wearing at all. The MX72+ have never made a single sound ever. The ME20 on front occassionally on the street make the slightest little squeal. But it is less than the stock brakes made, and not as high pitched, so it is nothing.

But for the awesome stopping power they are epic. I also run Castrol SRF. Never boiled it once. I boiled the stock fluid on the street.
I do not care about the squealing, but I heard the Pagids would lose effectiveness after they are half-worn and that they may be harder on discs even though I also heard they tend to last longer.
Old 06-07-2020, 10:00 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
I do not care about the squealing, but I heard the Pagids would lose effectiveness after they are half-worn and that they may be harder on discs even though I also heard they tend to last longer.
That is not correct. Why would they lose their effectiveness? I've taken many sets down to the backing plates and never had any issues. They are good as any pad on the market, just look at all of the race teams that use them.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:53 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

That is not correct. Why would they lose their effectiveness? I've taken many sets down to the backing plates and never had any issues. They are good as any pad on the market, just look at all of the race teams that use them.
I have no idea why. I’ve never tried them. I read about that somewhere here on Rennlist or another forum. I actually have a set. A bought some spare Girodisc Rotors from a guy here in the market place and he included a few extra sets of ferodos and pagids. I like ferodo, but once I go through them, I plan to try the pagids.
Old 07-20-2020, 03:33 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

I swore I wouldn't track my 991.1s, but while my turbo was apart did, and see the appeal for further distance tracks where a comfy AC seat can be nice!
After tracking my 991 a couple times few times and realizing new stock/Textars are good for about 3 hours of track time, the Giro A1-032/GT3 pad seems the way to go.
Or, 2 sets of Textars from FCP and their lifetime warranty, lol

With a pair or front 997.2 turbo s Sebro rotors costing $350, has anyone run them vs the Giros?
Maybe I'm missing something with the OE 997.2 turbo S 350mm rotor not having a reduced hat size like the Giro A1-032 so it won't fit, or do they work fine too?

Also, since I've been running the same Brembo HTC64t fluid for over a year, it's time to bleed and I was thinking of new steel brake lines too.
What are you guys using for brake lines that you feel are better than just a fresh set of OE rubber lines?

Quick Reply: Girodisc Rotors