Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Porsche Roof Transport System is INCREDIBLE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 02:32 PM
Bry5on
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Check your mounting tabs! One of mine snapped off while under warranty and the whole roof had to be removed and replaced .. twice! After the second repair still didn’t work, I got PCNA involved and porsche is still fighting me over the issue. Had to get another car to transport the bikes as I can’t use the mount system still, it’s been a full year

The following users liked this post:
BerlinDaniel (04-26-2022)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:09 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 391 Posts

Really interesting thread. Thanks, OP. Wondering how noisy is the basic transport system on the highway...how much wind noise is there? Also, does the sunroof function when the transport system is in place on the roof?

God bless,
TT
Old 07-21-2020, 10:46 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

The bars themselves dont produce much noise, it depends on what you put up there.
It only takes 5 minutes or so to take it on or off.

Sunroof should still work with the rack up.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:48 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by arter
The bars themselves dont produce much noise, it depends on what you put up there.

Thanks so much! This sounds like an incredible system. I'm buying one for our 991.2.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-21-2020, 11:31 PM
3point6
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I copied Arter - the roof rack came with clamps that would attach to the Porsche bars. You can see the clamps in my pic.
thanks, appreciate the details, since this tray would need to be strapped to cross bars, assume some extra time would need to be taken into account
Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by arter

Sunroof does work, but it only opens 2/3 of the way. The Sunroof will automatically bump the rack and stop opening on it's own so you don't have to worry about breaking anything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joec500:
BerlinDaniel (04-26-2022), Tier1Terrier (06-25-2021)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:53 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

Originally Posted by Joec500
Sunroof does work, but it only opens 2/3 of the way. The Sunroof will automatically bump the rack and stop opening on it's own so you don't have to worry about breaking anything.
Great. Thanks.

God bless,
TT
Old 07-22-2020, 12:14 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 3point6
thanks, appreciate the details, since this tray would need to be strapped to cross bars, assume some extra time would need to be taken into account
The first few times you put the bars on it will take a little longer - takes some muscle memory. The rack took me maybe 20 mins to do by myself but will be quicker next time.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:34 PM
3point6
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Wujohn
The first few times you put the bars on it will take a little longer - takes some muscle memory. The rack took me maybe 20 mins to do by myself but will be quicker next time.
I see, practice means everything, thanks
Old 07-24-2020, 05:38 PM
Bassman79
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree the Porsche system is very well designed, having installed roof and bike racks on every single one of my cars since I started driving (Mazdas, Hondas, BMWs, and now Porsche). I wanted to provide a few pointers I ran into while installing my rack last week:

- The kit I ordered from Suncoast didn't have a manual, but you don't need one. It's totally self-explanatory. You get the cross-bars with towers attached, then allen head screwdriver with built-in torque wrench, and keys. The torque wrench is really brilliant. Just crank the bolts down until the two arrows line up at the proper torque reading.
- I found it hard to mount both sides of one cross-bar at the same time, so I laid a towel down on the side opposite me and gently set the tower down on the towel and then worked on aligning the tabs and tower on the side where I was standing. Once that side first is in, walk around and do the other side.
- For some reason, one of the towers did not want to align with the tabs after I installed the tower on the first side. The tabs just did not line up with the slots. So I loosened the two bolts on the underside of the cross-bar that hold it to the tower to provide it some wiggle room, then aligned the tabs, and then re-tightened the cross-bar bolts. After that, I tightened the tower bolts to the right torque spec.
- The cross-bars themselves have a fairly large diameter, and if you're using a non-Porsche attachment like I was (RockyMounts Tomahawk bike holder), you may need to carefully check how much thread from your bolts are going into its mounts. You may need some longer bolts to account for the fatter cross-bars.

Here's a thread with pics of my car with the rack and bike holder installed.

Originally Posted by Joec500

I have a few bikes too, I run a BMC TeamMachine SLR01 and Steel Speedvagen. I recently just built a custom Mosaic Ti bike, I like the american made metal stuff
I really like the Mosaic bikes. Excellent US-made frames. My friend just got an Alchemy ti frame, and it's also gorgeous. I used to have a Serotta Ti myself. Excellent bike. One day I might need to pick up a Moots, which are made not far from me in Steamboat...

Last edited by Bassman79; 07-24-2020 at 05:39 PM. Reason: formatting errors
BerlinDaniel (04-26-2022)
Old 07-24-2020, 05:58 PM
Ira Blumberg
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman79
I agree the Porsche system is very well designed, having installed roof and bike racks on every single one of my cars since I started driving (Mazdas, Hondas, BMWs, and now Porsche). I wanted to provide a few pointers I ran into while installing my rack last week:

- The kit I ordered from Suncoast didn't have a manual, but you don't need one. It's totally self-explanatory. You get the cross-bars with towers attached, then allen head screwdriver with built-in torque wrench, and keys. The torque wrench is really brilliant. Just crank the bolts down until the two arrows line up at the proper torque reading.
- I found it hard to mount both sides of one cross-bar at the same time, so I laid a towel down on the side opposite me and gently set the tower down on the towel and then worked on aligning the tabs and tower on the side where I was standing. Once that side first is in, walk around and do the other side.
- For some reason, one of the towers did not want to align with the tabs after I installed the tower on the first side. The tabs just did not line up with the slots. So I loosened the two bolts on the underside of the cross-bar that hold it to the tower to provide it some wiggle room, then aligned the tabs, and then re-tightened the cross-bar bolts. After that, I tightened the tower bolts to the right torque spec.
- The cross-bars themselves have a fairly large diameter, and if you're using a non-Porsche attachment like I was (RockyMounts Tomahawk bike holder), you may need to carefully check how much thread from your bolts are going into its mounts. You may need some longer bolts to account for the fatter cross-bars.

I really like the Mosaic bikes. Excellent US-made frames. My friend just got an Alchemy ti frame, and it's also gorgeous. I used to have a Serotta Ti myself. Excellent bike. One day I might need to pick up a Moots, which are made not far from me in Steamboat...
Thanks for the detailed post. Just a note, the instructions for installation at least for the 991.2 models are included in the owners manual starting on page 236.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:51 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Bassman79

I had a Di2 moot Vamoots CR previously, great bike. I miss that thing.

Old 10-01-2020, 01:45 PM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
I thought you had to spec this in your build - but I don't know where I got that impression... are these mounts built-in on every 911 and I can just order the roof rails?
I seriously want to know this as well. Has it been confirmed that this is 'tucked away' swing out brackets are in all 991 models? So that anyone with a 991 can just purchase the towers and crossbars? I really wanted the capability to have roof racks on my car and thought I couldn't since my car wasn't optioned for it. Please confirm this with me. This is a serious game changer for me if it is already built in.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:04 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I seriously want to know this as well. Has it been confirmed that this is 'tucked away' swing out brackets are in all 991 models? So that anyone with a 991 can just purchase the towers and crossbars? I really wanted the capability to have roof racks on my car and thought I couldn't since my car wasn't optioned for it. Please confirm this with me. This is a serious game changer for me if it is already built in.
Yes, as long as your car is not a GT car. You can look at the black moulding on the top of your car. There is an area near the front that will pull up (towards the back) and the same at the back (pulls up towards the front). There are mounting points there - see pic.

Tier1Terrier (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 03:58 PM
TomTarzian
Drifting

The primary issue I had with it is the rear cross bar severely limits the amount the sunroof will open. But if you take it off the sunroof will open as normal.

Are there any water issues with leaving the crossbars on during a rain storm if one has a sunroof...metal, in my case?

God bless,
TT

Quick Reply: The Porsche Roof Transport System is INCREDIBLE!