911 discounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 01:12 AM
sebmista
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 discounts

Hi everyone, new here.

Have been looking into getting a 911 for months now. Been researching and trolling carguru, cars.com, autotrader, all the local dealers, etc... been looking for a half decent deal on a used 911 (2015-16) but they only come close to the high end of a kbb and nada value, if that. After dealing with this for a while, I figured I might as well just build a new one and take advantage of the full warranty, etc. I went ahead and spec a gts and have all the options etc. out in a spread sheet. The one thing I'm trying to find is what kind of discount I should shoot for. I tried searching to see what kind of discounts people have been getting recently in their 911's but haven't found anything yet. What kind of discount should i shoot for? I'd obviously be shooting for the low side of the bell curve. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-30-2018, 01:22 AM
phx991
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 04-30-2018, 01:26 AM
globalflyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to get about 3% off MSRP and I have been told that was reasonable on a July build. Initial dealer offer was MSRP at more than one. Getting an allocation was actually even more difficult than the discount. This was on a Cab which have lower production but also have less demand.

I think you have two battles ahead. One is finding an available allocation and the second is then the price. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2018, 01:31 AM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Given current GTS allocations are scarce, combined with the likelihood of building a new 991 GTS is done once the 992 is released (which likely will have a year or 2 before the GTS variant is available to build) I’d say don’t expect much as far as a discount goes.

If if you are in Canada, don’t expect anything except maybe PPF, discount on parts and some all weather mats.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:13 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by globalflyer
I...

I think you have two battles ahead. One is finding an available allocation and the second is then the price. Good luck.
Agree. No sense in worrying about a discount if you can't get an allocation. Call around.

I got 4% on my stripper GTS Coupe but that was during negotiation early last fall.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:38 PM
globalflyer
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for clarity, my 3% was just 2 weeks ago in a very large market.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:19 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
Given current GTS allocations are scarce, combined with the likelihood of building a new 991 GTS is done once the 992 is released (which likely will have a year or 2 before the GTS variant is available to build) I’d say don’t expect much as far as a discount goes.

If if you are in Canada, don’t expect anything except maybe PPF, discount on parts and some all weather mats.
The dealer add ons aren't free.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:37 PM
hbear
Racer

Of course the add ons aren’t free, but also not indicative of their marked up “costs”.

I understand and am ok with it. However here in Canada it’s very much a MSRP game. Even if you didn’t go for those “add ons” it’s not likely to get much off MSRP especially for scarce allocations. So might as well take the add-ons where you can.

I personally don’t consider that to be getting a discount off MSRP.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:49 PM
fuddman
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer discounts are dependent on his financial condition coupled with the market the dealer is faced with for his cars that day. That's how fluid discounts are.

You are not likely to find a one discount amount which fits all dealers.

Which means, to find the best discount, you need to expand your search nationwide and, to determine whether or not it's worth it or not be, ready to crank in the cost of bringing the car to you. Usually $2.5 k or so enclosed cross country.

While this a bit of work, keep in mind, if you spend 1 hour on the phone, then, every 1% discount you get on a $150,000 car nets you $1,500. That means you would be earning $1,500 per hour. Tax free. A rate which, I suspect, is likely more than you earn now from 8 to 5.

In any case, I'd suggest starting the negotiation asking for 8% off sticker. You can always come down and you may be surprised. Email as many dealers as you can. And when that screener on the dialogue box asks "when are you thinking of buying the car," remember to answer "today." That gets their attention. Don't sound like a tire kicker and be ready to close on the spot if discount is enough.

Use this approach if you have no trade. With trade, the approach is slightly different

Good luck with it.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:36 AM
eoddom
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I've managed to get one car down 7.5% and another car down 6%. These are existing '18 GTS stock though.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM
hbear
Racer

Existing stock of course is a different ball game vs. Factory order.

Good luck with your search, the cars are so worth it!
Old 05-11-2018, 11:38 AM
kash101
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Guys, I am looking at a CPO '17 911 GTS, already discounted ~ 11% off MSRP... What should I be shooting for as far as further discount is concerned? I was thinking an additional 6% off but I may be off....

Quick Reply: 911 discounts