Sponsored by:

No oil change in 5 years - walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:58 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
I would say the biggest risk (if the oil has truly never been changed) would be that oils turn acidic - even synthetics. You could tell the extent of condensation by looking at the oil filler cap and how much yellowish goop is on there.

I would say it's entirely likely they had it changed at a place that didn't log it on carfax. Unless the guy's illness left him leaving the car parked for a long period. Were the miles put on the first year and it sat parked? Was it driven relatively often and just not changed?

Maybe ask the dealership to speak to the wife - she might have records of oil changes.
There are a lot of possibles and maybes... all of which argue for an objective assessment, which an oil analysis can provide a lot of answers to. If the miles on the car were primarily highway miles, chances are that the oil is still within spec. If the oil was changed but the wife is not aware of the change, the oil could likewise be within spec. And, and, and.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Seriously the guy drive it 6k miles and didn't change the oil, and he died. And you guys are giving him grief about that? Neglected?

Sheesh. No wonder R_Rated got banned.
The following users liked this post:
*991* (08-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2018, 08:08 PM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, can you go drive it? Like you said, you don't even know if it has had an oil change in the past 5 years, only that the dealer doesn't know whether it has or not. If you take it out for a spin and it drives fine, you should go for it. Regardless, my opinion is that oil in a 5 year old car with that little miles is going to be perfectly fine.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo582.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  143.4 KB

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Seriously the guy drive it 6k miles and didn't change the oil, and he died. And you guys are giving him grief about that? Neglected?

Sheesh. No wonder R_Rated got banned.
Giving the guy grief and he's DEAD!!! Not only kicking a guy when he's down, when he's dead here too

Name:  photo533.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  1.42 MB

Last edited by STG; 04-16-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,141 Likes on 981 Posts

It sounds like you really don't know if the oil has been changed or not. Just because the dealer has no record of the service, doesn't mean anything.

Also, don't forget that the service is not just about the oil change either. What happened to the 40,000 mile OR 4 year service? I'd get the dealer to ensure or complete the 40k service interval and call it a day if you like the car.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:17 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

The previous owner Died he didn't neglect it. Hard to schedule service when your dead. Sounds like the wife is finally getting around to selling the car.
Get it checked properly and I would definitely pay for a CPO and if all checks out go for it. These cars are not fragile like a Ming vase. Do your homework and then enjoy the hell out of it.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
The previous owner Died he didn't neglect it. Hard to schedule service when your dead. Sounds like the wife is finally getting around to selling the car.
Get it checked properly and I would definitely pay for a CPO and if all checks out go for it. These cars are not fragile like a Ming vase. Do your homework and then enjoy the hell out of it.
I fully agree with this post.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Just my 2 pennies: When I got my 2012.5 CPO, it had only 12000 miles but the prior owner diligently serviced it according to time, i.e each year.

I don't know when this owner died. The car is a 2013. Did he died within a year of purchase and the widow did not know what to do? If so, then I can see. However if he died recently then it is obvious that he neglected taking care of it.

In the end, it depends how good the deal is and you are willing to take the risk of hidden defects that may have been discovered by the annual services
Old 04-16-2018, 09:54 PM
BusDriverBob
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://mobiloil.com/en/faq/ask-our-...mobil-1-quarts

Unopened Mobil 1 goes bad in 5 years. Add moisture condensation and a few miles... I would not buy it.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

If the dealer is selling the car on behalf of the widow, ask them to relay a few questions for you. She might be able to provide some info on the history, including if the car was ever serviced, and maybe how much driving occurred in each year since 2013.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:53 PM
CarreraFahrer
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Car only has 6K miles on it!

It's fine. So the car sat and barely got driven. Have dealer service it and it's good to go if it's been well taken care of other than sitting. Also a good deal $$.
This.

Now if all 6,000 miles were track miles and it was never changed then keep looking.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
If you wanted to know for sure, have a used oil analysis done by Blackstone or whomever, and see what condition the oil is in. So basically, write the deal pending oil analysis. Not sure the dealer would agree, but you never know.

I'd assume it is absolutely fine.
This! If I followed all the requirements on the forum that make a 911 a safe buy it would probably eliminate a lot of the cars on the forum. Between, minor accidents and/or damage, dealer or indy maintenance records only, never tracked, sat too long, only if tracked, I would struggle where I live to find a good car that has the options I want.

Sounds like you might have found a nice car.
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-15-2019)
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 955CTS
Thanks for all the replies. I am very interested in this exact car because of the spec, KMs and price (been waiting for a car like this for +6 months).

The car is for sale at an authorised Porsche Dealer, but on behalf of a private person. This means that I have to pay extra for CPO / Porsche Approved, but they are willing to guaranty me that it will be "Approved". Large service is included in the price.

The sales man told me the car belonged to an older gentleman, who passed away. The car is therefore being sold by his wife.

@StormRune: I dont. But the Porsche Dealer says is hasn't been done according to their system.
lol, you found Seinfeld's "this is a dead man's car"!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 782 Posts

I’m no motor oil expert, but my concern with the situation that you describe is that the oil in the engine isn’t pristine, new oil. It is used oil. There are byproducts of combustion in the oil, and moisture in the oil. These things increase the acidity of the oil, and they increase the potential for oxidation of internal engine components. I’m not saying that the engine is oxidized or damaged, but I think it’s potentially dangerous to assume it’s pristine because of the low mileage on the car.

I’d speak to mechanics you trust, do some oil analysis as suggested above, and try your best to mitigate your risk if you decide to buy the car.
Old 04-17-2018, 01:05 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by 955CTS
Hello,

I am looking to buy a 2013 Porsche 991 4s PDK with 10.500 Kms, but realised that the car haven't been serviced.

This means no oil change since 2013 (5 years!!).

Should I walk away, or is it OK if a major service is done. The car will also be delivered with 12 months Porsche Approved warranty.

Thanks in advance!
Let me make it easy for you. Give me the Widow's name and address and I will approach her with all of these comments. Maybe I can get a better deal.

Quick Reply: No oil change in 5 years - walk away?