Sponsored by:

No oil change in 5 years - walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 07:38 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
What??? Like the 6K miles were put on in last 30 days with 5 year old oil??
Read my post above (#70). I think the car has the equivelant of 6k mi and is basically a new car as long as everything else checks out. This was a pretend hypothetical worst case scenario to try to add some perspective. Even at twice the wear of 12k mi it's still basically a brand new car.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:39 AM
955CTS
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the inputs - really appreciate it !!

I tried to get an additional discount on the car, but the seller declined. Have decided to walk away and wait for the "right car".

Besides the oil, the Porsche rep. also gave me incorrect information about other things regarding the car. Just doesn't feel right, especially since I wouldn't buy the car from the dealer itself, but their customer.

Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:42 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by 955CTS

I tried to get an additional discount on the car, but the seller declined. Have decided to walk away and wait for the "right car".

Besides the oil, the Porsche rep. also gave me incorrect information about other things regarding the car. Just doesn't feel right, especially since I wouldn't buy the car from the dealer itself, but their customer.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure many won't read it and debate this topic for the next 2 years

With the other new info you have, best to go with your gut feeling. Good luck with the search.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:55 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Thanks again.
The SA not being upfront and honest about other things would be a big red flag for me. Lots of cars out there - you will find the right one!
Old 04-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
Thanks for the follow up. I'm sure many won't read it and debate this topic for the next 2 years

With the other new info you have, best to go with your gut feeling. Good luck with the search.
I've been meaning to mention it, but I really like your new avatar, STG!
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hurricane
I've been meaning to mention it, but I really like your new avatar, STG!

Yours is .2 x better!! You'll be causing whiplash driving down the street from all the stares. Great looking GTS.

Will be interesting to hear your comments when you get some time with it. I think won't fly under the radar as much as a Black Aerokit Cup.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:36 AM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Not ONE person has given any solid facts on why a car with 6K miles over 5 years would be at risk with no oil change??

I could come up with 100 reasons why any pre-owned car might not be a good buy. Is this one of them if the car checks out like the OP said?

Like synthetic oil somehow turns toxic?? It could sit in the car for longer than 5 years and be totally fine. I would change it ASAP if planning to put some miles on, but sitting is another story.
+1
Old 04-18-2018, 12:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,523 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I wonder how many here have to sleep with a night light on, or send their wives to walk to the other end of the house in middle of the night when they hear a noise?
Obviously your comments are sarcastic, but on the other side of the coin, how many people buy a used $100K+ performance car without checking it out? How many people here buy a house without an inspector evaluating it for potential issues? Maybe some people do this, but I'm not one of them.

There's nothing wrong with having a car checked out, especially if there's a gap in the service history that's not in line with the recommended service intervals. If everything checks out, then buy the car. If not, then walk away. I'm not in the camp that feels that the buyer should definitely walk away, but I'm in the camp that feels that anything out of the ordinary should be investigated. Would the car be okay if it had 10K miles on the original oil? How about 15K? How about 20K? How about 6K miles, but 10 years old? We just don't really know. That's the value of having it checked.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:08 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

Thanks again.
Good call and good luck with your search.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:24 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the additional info. It seems like the dealer is not willing to back up what they originally said about the car. For me it felt like one of those "driven by old lady to church" stories
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM
TexasPorschelover
Three Wheelin'

Received 781 Likes on 344 Posts

This thread is cooked. Buy it. Move on. Have fun.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:42 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by STG
Yours is .2 x better!! You'll be causing whiplash driving down the street from all the stares. Great looking GTS.

Will be interesting to hear your comments when you get some time with it. I think won't fly under the radar as much as a Black Aerokit Cup.
Thanks!

I seem to be escalating in the lack of subtlety department which was truly not my intention.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Originally Posted by visitador
Thanks for the additional info. It seems like the dealer is not willing to back up what they originally said about the car. For me it felt like one of those "driven by old lady to church" stories
Old 04-18-2018, 01:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Obviously your comments are sarcastic, but on the other side of the coin, how many people buy a used $100K+ performance car without checking it out? How many people here buy a house without an inspector evaluating it for potential issues? Maybe some people do this, but I'm not one of them.

There's nothing wrong with having a car checked out, especially if there's a gap in the service history that's not in line with the recommended service intervals. If everything checks out, then buy the car. If not, then walk away. I'm not in the camp that feels that the buyer should definitely walk away, but I'm in the camp that feels that anything out of the ordinary should be investigated. Would the car be okay if it had 10K miles on the original oil? How about 15K? How about 20K? How about 6K miles, but 10 years old? We just don't really know. That's the value of having it checked.

I would ALWAYS suggest a PPI and having it checked out Didn't mean to sound like I wouldn't suggest it.

Just saying with doing that like 99% sure would get a clean bill of health.

Guys were just throwing the car under the bus with no further info.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:54 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by Hurricane

So funny ....

You still never told me how to post these!!!!

Can't figure it out! I admit it. Don't know something.

Quick Reply: No oil change in 5 years - walk away?