No oil change in 5 years - walk away?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 03:50 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 707 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
So funny ....

You still never told me how to post these!!!!

Can't figure it out! I admit it. Don't know something.
Add image tags to a "gif" type image...
Old 04-18-2018, 08:14 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Im not.paranoid i just think

Everyone is out to get me.

If you buy a 100k used car without an independent PPI (including oaint meter and over rev reading) i have a bridge for sale in nigeria. CPO is crap on terms/cost compared to fideltiy platinum. My bet is now on the car being a wreck. I chnage my vote to run without knowing the PPI results.

QUOTE=mikemessi;14949944]These responses are hilarious and perfect examples of the paranoid OCD Porsche owner. Synthetic oils designed to go 10k miles between oil changes (some are 15k!) don't turn to acid after 6k miles and sitting 5 yrs. And the comments about the seals drying out on a 5 year old car?? Give me a break. It's not like this is a barn find sitting for 20 or 30 years. And everybody talks about dealer service records and how important they are. I've had more things messed up on my cars by the dealer and only take them there if I have to. This is basically a brand new car people. It only has 6k miles![/QUOTE]
buy
Old 04-19-2018, 01:40 AM
13mit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

No one's out to get you. It's a PDK car so an over-rev reading is essentially useless as the tranny will prevent you from over-revving. I absolutely agree on getting a PPI done but the car is very likely in completely fine condition. I'm curious as to what you think could possibly be wrong with it based on the oil sitting there?
Old 04-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default He said dealer was not willing to backup story

Which means they are a lying piece of dukey.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:41 PM
FlatsixS
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by thought
If it's a good price on the car you want, get it. If someone else buys it because you were waiting for a car forum to pontificate about oil you'll always regret it. And I mean... you asked a oil question in a car forum. You were never going to get a good answer anyway.

I've come to realize after reading all the questions about which 911 to get on this forum... the best 911 is the one you have. The one you dream/worry about will never be as the good as the one you wake up and just drive.
This happens at every car’s forum that I subscribed (and I was in quite A few of them). Always the answers seem extremely a favor o against something, and very polarizing, No doubt, as humans, all have our personal doubts and different levels to be risk averse. However, this is by all accounts, an USED car forum and as such, any purchase of an used car always has some risk that things can go south. So you have to have some extra cash on hand for that or some sort of insurance. So, based on the limite info provided by OP, if he thinks the price is correct, what I’ll do is test drive the car and do a PPI and then if all looks good, I’ll buy that thing right now... if I found my ideal with the right price and with only 6k miles, that’s a holy grail! I prefer 100 times this option instead to a tracked car driven to the its extreme with same mileage (even with oil changes at 200 miles). So my advice is buy it and enjoy it. Or if you have some doubts, better yet give me the info and I’ll buy it (a Just kidding, I just got mine from a fellow PCA), and drove it back to its new home (1000 miles away). Life is too short, and seems you found you dream car, so go for It...

Last edited by FlatsixS; 08-15-2019 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 08-15-2019, 07:31 PM
goldduster
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

OMG!!! Just listen to FlatsixS. If the price is right, buy the car with a Porsche CPO, Just be sure the tires are dated correctly and all the services have been brought up to date, including a new serpentine belt. Then take it out and drive it like you stole it
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-15-2019)
Old 08-15-2019, 07:41 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks Hurricane!

Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 PM
*991*
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts

DONT BUY... the dead guy will come back and haunt u for buying his beloved PORSCHE
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 PM
Myriad
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm just posting so I can say that I was present when this thread is bumped 3 years from now.

OP - glad you made the gut call based on the information you had - better to wait for the right car (it will come!) especially if it doesn't feel right given all of the other facts of the situation.
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (08-21-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 12:44 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 380 Likes on 214 Posts

honestly, I don't believe this is an issue. have the old oil flushed and go. If it was an older owner he probably did not abuse the car, and it should be fine. If I liked the spec and the price was right that wouldn't stop me. make sure you put a new battery in as well. Plus you don't really know if he might have changed the oil himself or at a local indie garage. The dealer would not have any record of that.

- ok guess I'm late as usual, gotta learn to read the initial post date lol
Old 08-16-2019, 02:17 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Not ONE person has given any solid facts on why a car with 6K miles over 5 years would be at risk with no oil change??

I could come up with 100 reasons why any pre-owned car might not be a good buy. Is this one of them if the car checks out like the OP said?

Like synthetic oil somehow turns toxic?? It could sit in the car for longer than 5 years and be totally fine. I would change it ASAP if planning to put some miles on, but sitting is another story.
I went to a Ferrari lunch and learn in the last year and the lead mechanic was imploring owners to drive their cars more than once or twice a year. The issue is the oil drains, exposes the internal mechanical bits, and rust forms. I believe he was specifically referring to transmissions at that point, however.

My statement is not completely on point to your first question, it just reminded me that a sitting car is not always a happy car. I don’t think the mechanic was saying you needed to drive it all that often either (every month or two).

Quick Reply: No oil change in 5 years - walk away?