Sponsored by:

Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 05:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
I am just as crazy as most here about the little things I obsess over regarding my car. My wife can confirm my obsession but spending over $1k for an electric power washer seems to border on insanity.Most washers take a fair amount of abuse, sit in a cold garage during the winter, and I'll admit I don't do much maintenance on mine. I get a good 3-5 years worth of use and replace for the $150 - $200 i paid. What am I missing?
You're right. What you are missing is what exactly it is they obsess over. You seem to obsess over having a car that looks great. Guys like Matt obsess over all the stuff that goes around that, to the point where he spends FAR more time detailing than driving. I quit paying attention around the time I realized that in the time he had one car he had documented washing, polishing, and waxing about a dozen times while putting 248 miles on the car. Seriously! It is not at all unusual for him to do a full foam detail on a car that merely has dust from sitting in the garage overnight. He did at one point use some super rare and expensive wax that made the car look so freaking good it was hard to believe even if half the result was photo-magic. But then that was gone and on to the next big thing so that amazing wax is long forgotten.

Because, with this particular obsession, its not really the car they care about so much as the car stuff.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:15 PM
daberlin
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 04-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Go on Obsessed Garage's YouTube channel and he does a comparison between the Kränzle and a SunJoe. Good comparison. Worth it? Up to you.

It looks like a good product, no doubt. But way more than I need and am willing to baby so it doesn't break down. I am really good with my equipment so I get 4-5 years out of a moderately priced power washer like a Sunjoe and then I am usually bored and want something different anyway. But to each his own on what people want to spend their money on.
For me i would rather do the TechArt Sport Springs or it would have paid for more than half of the Cobb tune, or....................................................., its where your priorities are.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:20 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

LOL I'm sure everyone in the watch show off thread has to have it.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:25 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
It looks like a good product, no doubt. But way more than I need and am willing to baby so it doesn't break down. I am really good with my equipment so I get 4-5 years out of a moderately priced power washer like a Sunjoe and then I am usually bored and want something different anyway. But to each his own on what people want to spend their money on.
For me i would rather do the TechArt Sport Springs or it would have paid for more than half of the Cobb tune, or....................................................., its where your priorities are.
Yup, exactly. I'm still getting by with a hose mounted foam gun. But I understand why you would spend the money if that's what gets you.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,607 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
You're right. What you are missing is what exactly it is they obsess over. You seem to obsess over having a car that looks great. Guys like Matt obsess over all the stuff that goes around that, to the point where he spends FAR more time detailing than driving. I quit paying attention around the time I realized that in the time he had one car he had documented washing, polishing, and waxing about a dozen times while putting 248 miles on the car. Seriously! It is not at all unusual for him to do a full foam detail on a car that merely has dust from sitting in the garage overnight. He did at one point use some super rare and expensive wax that made the car look so freaking good it was hard to believe even if half the result was photo-magic. But then that was gone and on to the next big thing so that amazing wax is long forgotten.

Because, with this particular obsession, its not really the car they care about so much as the car stuff.
Yeah, I have tried but I just can't get into it. I barely have time just to properly wash my cars, let alone the rest of it. And physically, I'm freaking worn out by it! As Matt says, I COULD find the time to do it, but I'd rather spend time with my kids and wife.

Excuses I know. I really need to get the 911 paint corrected and coated so all I need to do is do quality washes.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:30 AM
Carrera2RS
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Two main schools break down into basically carnauba vs nano-ceramo. Carnauba calls for a bit more skill and effort but yields a soft buttery gleam unmatched in its perfection. Nano-ceramo can be done but most wind up paying and feel its worth it for the durability and hard shiny "pop" look that stands out.
The truth is you can achieve exceptional results either way, so like the cars themselves it really comes down to your personal taste and preference. What it really comes down to more than anything else is boring details like learning to clean regularly and carefully using good techniques like a folded not wadded towel and even then always gently. I've seen people absolutely ruin a perfectly good finish in one or two washes simply because they never learned how to wash it right. I've also seen people ruin a perfectly good detail using perfectly good products but doing everything wrong. So how you do it often times is more important than what you do it with.

I couldn't agree more, carefully thought through processes and soft materials, soaking is a good things, rubbing hard is a bad thing.

I use the following technique for paintwork and outside:

1. Pressure wash
2. PH neutral snow foam
3. Agitate the snow foam with a very soft 6" decorators brush (I do this as the soft bristles will not scratch and this helps lift the dirt, nothing more annoying than pressure washing snow foam and its left dirty)
4. Pressure wash
5. One bucket for the wheels using hot spray water and a small wool pad
6. Two bucket wash Using large wool pad
7. Pressure wash
8. Towel dry (soft towel specifically for this)
9. Detail spray with a soft microfibre cloth
10. Rinse everything and quickly hand wash mitts, cloths etc, leave to hand dry.

This guy is a real anorak but thinks about it. Fed up of seeing Chemical guys talk more about products than technique https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_4...20wjsFGWS0Jzg?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:09 PM
dkmesa
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
PPF + Ceramic Pro = no wax needed

That's the model electric pressure washer I have - love it. On sale at home depot right now too.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:20 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

What do people use or recommend when their home is on well water (hard mineral water)?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

@1gunner
CR spotless, look at the setup matt has, works great!
Old 04-03-2018, 12:31 PM
john45in
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

CR Spotless.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:38 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Highyo
the must haves in my closet include:
  • two bucket system (naturally)
  • wheel woolies and a solid long handled brush
  • nanolex wheel cleaner
  • i really like this Fictech wax bubble car wash, but also p21s is great as well
  • the rag company plush microfibers
  • the master blaster!
  • leather in a bottle from zaino (that smell!!)
  • perfect tire gloss too (not sticky, not shiny)
  • any high quality garage vac with a good brush attachment
  • nextzett cockpit
  • fictech sprint detail spray (smells like cologne!)
+1 for Zaino Leather in a Bottle. I'm not usually a fan of scents, but this truely smells like real leather and seems to do a good job conditioning the leather.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:56 PM
Highyo
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
+1 for Zaino Leather in a Bottle. I'm not usually a fan of scents, but this truely smells like real leather and seems to do a good job conditioning the leather.
i think the best thing about the zaino is you just have to apply and walk away, there's no extra steps. really fantastic and leaves the cabin smelling like an expensive hand bag. of this list i put together thats my favorite i think. maybe the cockpit. thats another great interior odor and simple to use (no detail spray grease)
Old 04-03-2018, 09:14 PM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

• Simpson pressure washer
  • MTM foam cannon
  • CR spotless water deionizer
    • Prevents the need to dry off car, but I do it anyway with a blower.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 PM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by dkmesa
That's the model electric pressure washer I have - love it. On sale at home depot right now too.
Great product have 2 of them.... Wouldn't **** away 1200. for OG's overkill pressure washer. I took the cash and got me a some cool CF mirrors.Yea baby. Get thumbs-up because of my CF mirrors not because I used a fancy pressure washer.

Quick Reply: Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit