Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I use deinonized water and a foam gun and a CarPro wool wash mitt. I still don’t like the two bucket method as even with grit Guards there is still dirt floating around. I rinse the wash mitt with the pressure nozzle of the hose after I lightly pull it across the panel, then back to the soap bucket. I also use a mitt for the top sections of he car and a different one for the lower sections. I dry the car with a Toro electric leaf blower takes about 10-15 minutes, but I never have to touch the paint, the deionized water really helps here. I have PPF on a lot of the car, and only use CarPro reload on the entire car once ever couple months. I am not a believer in nano until pricing comes out of the stratosphere. My reason is when you get a slight marring on your clear, and it will happen, even just touching the paint can induce slight scratches on the clear from a fingernail or dust on the surface. When this does happen, you can’t polish it as it got nano on it and you will remove the nano, I can just use some M205 and get the slight mark off by hand and then add more reload. Now my 911 is a weekend driver and I am at 2300 miles in 9 months of having it and it never sits outside or gets driven in the rain. My biggest problem is bird droppings and bug hits, I just have to walk around the car after every drive and carefully remove them with quick detailer and distilled water. Makes it hard when there is dust on the car, so I spray the area with distilled water to get rid of the road dust around the spot then carefully remove the offending spot. It’s a battle, but it is what it is.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

When vacuuming out the inside, has anyone found good attachments for getting into the cracks and crevices? Seems like everything I have comes up just a bit short and it drives me nuts. I am pretty much a heavy duty shop vac guy with a small diameter flexible hose and then the normal attachments and looking for ideas on what other folks do to really get stuff out of hard to reach places.

-TJ
Old 05-27-2018, 03:55 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,410 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Jimmy
When vacuuming out the inside, has anyone found good attachments for getting into the cracks and crevices? Seems like everything I have comes up just a bit short and it drives me nuts. I am pretty much a heavy duty shop vac guy with a small diameter flexible hose and then the normal attachments and looking for ideas on what other folks do to really get stuff out of hard to reach places.

-TJ
As a cabriolet owner, I always have a sticky tape roller or two in the garage. For hard to reach places that the vacuum can't get, I use a sheet of the tape roll and work it in the crevice or tight spot. I'm really liking the new 50% stickier roller from Scotch Brite bought at Target.

Last edited by LexVan; 05-27-2018 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerlee
Here's a pic after just soap and rinse with a pressure washer, no wiping or cleaning just to see how the coating alone performs.
Coating was been on for a week and the initial sheen is almost gone, looks almost like it did before the coating now, which is a shame as I really like the extra depth it gave right after application.
Thank you - that looks great! Much cleaner than mine, even after a full wash with mitt and brushes. . .
Old 05-28-2018, 02:35 PM
RoWa
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

-TJ
I tape a flexible 12 inch section of 3/4 inch irrigation hose to the end of the smallest attachment of the vacuum; it seems to go most places
Old 05-28-2018, 02:43 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt over at Obsessed Garage knows his car wash kits. Any questions on the topic be sure to run by him
Old 05-28-2018, 05:53 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

-TJ
My Metrovac blower/vacuum came with several very small attachments for just that. You might get some ideas from the pics: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...94BD/overview#

J
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 PM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DoubleDare
My Metrovac blower/vacuum came with several very small attachments for just that. You might get some ideas from the pics: https://www.metrovacworld.com/produc...94BD/overview#

J
Thanks for that! Lots of small detailing extensions for that as well. Might have to upgrade the vac.

-TJ
Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 AM
Top Jimmy
Burning Brakes

It is spring time here and am getting ready to detail a few of the family cars, so I am bringing this up.

Anyone have a favorite for cleaning wheels? I have a few hand brushes, but they just seem to barely clean and they suck to use. I am now looking at something that maybe I can attach to a drill. Anyone have any brands they like?

-TJ
Old 04-27-2019, 06:17 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

My wash kit is:
$5 a month on my Shell station Touchless car wash. End of story.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:30 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Foam gun, Griot's Brilliant Finish Car Wash ( https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...h+64+ounces.do ), Blade, PFM Terry Drying Towel (fantastic), Griot's Best of Show Detailer.
1. Rinse off the car,
2. Foam it up and wait 10 mins,
3. Rinse off and re-foam,
4. Wash with mitt and rinsing mitt out each time by putting hose inside to push out the dirt,
5. Rinse, pull off most of water with silicon blade,
6. Finish wipe with drying towel
7. Detailer between washes.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:37 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 36 Posts

Old 04-27-2019, 10:29 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Get wheel woollies, iron X and a separate bucket for the wheels. All available on Amazon.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:59 AM
jnolan
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 47 Posts

My Panamera wheels are gloss black and a real chore to clean (thank god, PCCB). I bought this brush set and love it. A little on the pricey side but holding up over time will make up for the high cost

ABN Car Wheel Rim Cleaning 3-Piece Kit – Original Wheel Woolies Brush Stick Tool – Tire Woolie – Wooly Wand Set (3 Brushes)
Amazon Amazon
Old 04-27-2019, 05:08 PM
DoubleDare
Rennlist Member

It is spring time here and am getting ready to detail a few of the family cars, so I am bringing this up.

Anyone have a favorite for cleaning wheels? I have a few hand brushes, but they just seem to barely clean and they suck to use. I am now looking at something that maybe I can attach to a drill. Anyone have any brands they like?

-TJ
A few essential items from Matt's Obsessed Garage webstore:

- Microfiber Madness Flat Incredibrush (https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...redibrush-flat)

- Lambskin Wheel Mitt (https://www.obsessedgarage.com/colle...kin-wheel-mitt)

Those two clean the wheel face and barrel extremely well with the right soap or wheel cleaner.

I use a small tire brush for the tire sidewalls as well.

Quick Reply: Whats in Your Car Washing Tool Kit